- 713126 000000000 713126000000000
Mel Bay Rock Curriculum: Fluid Soloing Book 4 - Chord-Lead Soloing For Guitar (Book/CD)
- Write a Review
Rock Curriculum: Fluid Soloing, Book 4: String Skipping and Wide Interval Soloing for Guitar is a book with CD authored by Tim Quinn that is a much-n...Click To Read More About This Product
Earn up to 200 (1x) in bonus points today for this item!
6-Month*** financing available
An instructional guide to learning guitar soloing techniques full of large intervallic jumps, octave sliding, stacked fifths, and much more.
Rock Curriculum: Fluid Soloing, Book 4: String Skipping and Wide Interval Soloing for Guitar is a book with CD authored by Tim Quinn that is a much-needed guitarist's guide to mastering wide interval soloing and includes 212 melodic studies and patterns for guitar.
This comprehensive collection of guitar soloing lessons is designed for intermediate guitarists and teaches repeating, continuous motion studies that show how to develop melodic patterns characterized by large intervallic jumps in pitch, from one note to the next, in constant succession. The tutorials in the Rock Curriculum: Fluid Soloing, Book 4 presents four unique approaches to developing wide interval soloing, all of which use string skipping: 1) double pentatonic scales, which are three-note-per-string pentatonic scale patterns; 2) octave sliding, which uses sliding octave shapes in a variety of ways; 3) stacked fifths, which are wide interval shapes derived from pentatonic scales; and 4) wide interval arpeggios derived from the diatonic major scale.
The sound that results from these techniques is exciting and unpredictable because it is such a departure from conventional melodic flow, which tends to be scalar, moving stepwise from one note in a scale to the next. By contrast, wide interval guitar soloing is angular and skewed with big skips and sudden directional changes, creating a complex and fascinating sound. All of the studies in the Rock Curriculum: Fluid Soloing, Book 4 instructional book are designed as melodic etudes that can be applied directly to soloing in rock, jazz, fusion, and blues music.
These guitar lessons are ideal for serious guitarists in any style who want to break out of typical soloing patterns and create a more explosive, radical sound. CD included.
- Guitar Instruction Contents:
- Section one: double pentatonic scales and shapes
- A) Basic non-shifting scale exercises
- Double pentatonic scale fingerings
- Wide-interval shapes
- Basic sequencing exercises
- Non-shifting string skipping exercises
- Stacked fifth exercises
- B) String skipping shapes and position shifting
- String skipping shapes
- String skipping shape sets
- Shift patterns (for horizontal position shifting)
- Motion exercises (using the shift patterns)
- Non-shifting exercises (using shape sets)
- C) Melodic studies
- Six studies, presented in one scale fingering that combines all of the above
- How to apply each melodic study to a different scale fingering
- Section two: octave sliding
- A) Identifying octave shapes within pentatonics
- B) Octave sliding exercises
- 23 exercises showing all of the possible ways to slide octaves within one pentatonic scale fingering area
- How to apply octave scale sliding exercises to other scale fingerings
- C) Melodic studies (fifteen studies)
- Section three: pentatonic "stacked fifths"
- A) The concept
- B) Wide interval shapes (in 5 fingerings)
- C) Shape connection exercises
- Non-shifting (positional)
- Shifting (whole neck)
- Combining shifting and non-shifting motion
- Section four: wide interval diatonic arpeggios
- A) Diatonic arpeggios in 5 fingerings
- B) Wide interval arpeggio sets
- (Due to the large volume of exercises in this book, only selected examples are represented on the CD. It is in the student's best interest to study all of the guitar exercises for any given subject, including those that are not represented on the CD.)
- Breaking up the predictability
- Exercises playing sets 2-5 in all 12 keys
- C) Licks using arpeggios
- Section five: soloing etudes
- Appendix: "guidelines for using this book"
Go beyond melodic guitar scales and impress your audience with killer complexity when you order this instructional book and CD today.
Rock Curriculum: Fluid Soloing Book 4 - Chord-Lead Soloing For Guitar (Book/CD)
- Author: Tim Quinn
Number of pages: 152
Book dimensions: 11-3/4" H x 8-3/4" W
Date published: 9/24/2009
Manufacturer's product number: 20682BCD