- J41471 000000000 J41471000000000
Gibson Custom Mike McCready VOS '59 Les Paul Electric Guitar
- Write a Review
The original, serial #9 1910, was owned by Jim Anderson, the last guitarist in Van Morrison's band Them, who purchased it from a Pawn Shop while on t...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
A fabulous recreation of an historic guitar.
The original, serial #9 1910, was owned by Jim Anderson, the last guitarist in Van Morrison's band Them, who purchased it from a Pawn Shop while on tour in Seattle sometime between 1967-69. Once Jim retired from touring, he returned to Belfast, gigging on weekends where he'd often carry the guitar, sans case, to the Pub. It was left behind a few times after "a pint or two" according to legend, occasionally found leaning against the outside wall, where it was rescued and returned to the stage by the bartender closing up that night. At one point, the guitar went missing for a year, only to turn up in the backroom of the pub.
In the late 1990's, Jim's daughter, Shelly, was living in Seattle and contacted Danny Mangold (Danny's Music of Everett, WA) about her dad's original '59 back in Belfast and Jim's desire to sell. Danny and Jim spoke by phone, hit it off and Jim brought the guitar to Seattle to consign it at Danny's. Danny recalls standing at the airport baggage claim when the guitar slid off of the conveyer belt. Jim had simply checked it as baggage.
Knowing Mike McCready was in the market for an original '59, Danny made a call to Mike, who selected it over a few other 1959 Les Pauls in Danny's inventory. It was the feel and tone that grabbed him. He had no idea of its unique history at the time.
"I picked it up, played for a few seconds and said, "Yeah, this is the one." It just felt right in my hands. I've used it on four or five albums since and take it on every tour."
Like most of the artists fortunate enough to own an original 1959 Les Paul, Mike feels the pressure of traveling with such a valuable guitar night in and night out with Pearl Jam, but a player gravitates towards to best tools . The chance to have his own replicated by the craftspeople at Gibson Custom meant the chance to provide the occasional respite to a nearly priceless instrument without sacrificing tone and playability.
Offered to True Historic Specifications and in two finish options (aged and Vintage Gloss), and with the first 50 aged being hand-signed by Mike McCready, the Mike McCready 1959 Les Paul Standard is available on a limited basis, with qualifying materials ultimately determining the size of the run.
- Body shape: Single cutaway
- Body type: Solid body
- Body material: Solid wood
- Top wood: 2 piece Maple
- Body wood: Mahogany
- Body finish: Relic Nitrocellulose
- Orientation: Right handed
- Neck shape: 1959 Les Paul
- Neck wood: Rosewood
- Joint: Set-in
- Scale length: 24.75 in.
- Truss rod: Standard
- Neck finish: Relic Nitrocellulose
- Material: 1-piece Rosewood
- Radius: 12 in.
- Fret size: Medium jumbo
- Number of frets: 22
- Inlays: Trapezoid
- Nut width: 1.687 in. (42.8 mm)
- Configuration: HH
- Neck: CustomBucker
- Middle: Not applicable
- Bridge: CustomBucker
- Brand: Gibson Custom
- Active or passive pickups: Passive
- Series or parallel: Series
- Piezo: No
- Active EQ: No
- Special electronics: None
- Control layout: Volume 1, volume 2, tone 1, tone 2
- Pickup switch: 3-way
- Coil tap or split: No
- Kill switch: No
- Bridge type: Fixed
- Bridge design: ART1
- Tailpiece: Stopbar
- Tuning machines: Grover
- Color: Nickel
- Number of strings: 6-string
- Special features: Limited production
- Case: Hardshell case
- Accessories: Reissue Hardshell Case, Provenance Letter, Certificate of Authenticity in Binder signed by Mike.
Only 150 of these vintage gloss models are available worldwide. Get yours today.
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.