- J28269 000001000 J28269000001000
Gibson Custom Peter Frampton Signed 1954 Les Paul Custom Phenix
Lamp Black, Murphy Heavy Aged
- Write a Review
In 1970, Peter Frampton found his guitar; a 1954 Les Paul Custom loaned to him by a fan during a Humble Pie show at the Fillmore West, when Peter's o...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
A meticulous recreation of an amazing guitar, and signed too!
In 1970, Peter Frampton found his guitar; a 1954 Les Paul Custom loaned to him by a fan during a Humble Pie show at the Fillmore West, when Peter's own guitar had him suffer through a night of feedback and frustration. After the first night of playing together, Peter had no intention of letting his instant favorite guitar go and offered to buy it. That's when Mark Mariana, the generous fan and owner, insisted it was a gift.
For the next ten years, Peter and his 54 Custom carved a multi-million record-selling legacy together with Humble Pie and later during Peter's skyrocketing solo career. Their partnership was featured on some of rock's most memorable recordings including Humble Pie's Rock On and Frampton's infamous Frampton Comes Alive, where both Peter and his Les Paul graced the cover, becoming one of the most recognizable visual icons in music History.
Tragically, Peter's cherished 54 Les Paul Custom was lost to a cargo plane crash in Venezuela in 1980. The guitar that had become a part of Peter and his tremendous career was gone forever. Or so it seemed until, unbelievably, a fan from Curacao spotted and recognized Peter's Les Paul on stage with a local musician. Even through the guitar's bumps, scars and burns, it was recognizable as Peter's long-lost customized three Pickup 54.
In 2011, through the co-operation of a few generous fans and Gibson Custom Shop's oversight, Peter and his guitar were brought back together after 30 years. Now nicknamed Phenix for its ability to rise from the ashes, and after just enough repair work to make it stage-ready, the two are back together for good, once again on stage and in the studio. What may have been the end of the story is now, miraculously, the continuation.
Gibson Custom is excited to celebrate one of music history's most unlikely reunions with the introduction of a very limited run of 35 Peter Frampton "Phenix" 1954 3 Pickup Les Paul Customs, each a very detailed and extensive replica of one of the most storied guitars in rock-and-roll lore. Like Peter's own, each one bears the battle scars earned through its unbelievable lifetime, brought back to life for exceptional playability and tone. Each "Phenix" has been hand-aged by Tom Murphy and then played and signed by Peter Frampton as he gave his final approval.
- Body shape: Single cutaway
- Body type: Solid body
- Body material: Solid wood
- Top wood: Maple
- Body wood: Mahogany
- Body finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose
- Orientation: Right handed
- Neck shape: C traditional
- Neck wood: Mahogany
- Joint: Set-in
- Scale length: 24.75"
- Truss rod: Standard
- Neck finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose
- Material: Ebony
- Radius: 12"
- Fret size: Medium jumbo
- Number of frets: 22
- Inlays: Block
- Nut width: 1.725" (43.8mm)
- Configuration: HHH
- Neck: Tom Holmes
- Middle: Tom Holmes
- Bridge: Tom Holmes
- Brand: Tom Holmes
- Active or passive: Passive
- Series or parallel: Series
- Piezo: No
- Active EQ: No
- Special electronics: None
- Control layout: Volume 1, volume 2, tone 1, tone 2
- Pickup switch: 3-way
- Coil tap or split: No
- Kill switch: No
- Bridge type: Fixed
- Bridge design: Tune-o-matic
- Tailpiece: Stopbar
- Tuning machines: Grover kidney
- Color: Gold
- Number of strings: 6-string
- Special features: Pickups
- Case: Hardshell case
- Accessories: Frampton "Phenix" COA, 2015 Custom Medallion
- Country of origin: United States
Own this incredible recreation of a remarkable guitar. Order today.
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
Term for Used Gear begins on the expiration of the store return policy.