- J02071 000001000 J02071000001000
Gibson Custom Super 400 Electric Hollowbody
- Write a Review
"Developed through years of research, the luxurious Super 400-CES has been acclaimed by outstanding musicians everywhere as the finest electric Spani...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
A crowning achievement in guitarmaking.
"Developed through years of research, the luxurious Super 400-CES has been acclaimed by outstanding musicians everywhere as the finest electric Spanish guitar. Superior materials and superb Gibson craftsmanship produce its clear, clean-cut powerful tone and dependable performance." - Gibson catalog, circa 1959
There are few guitars as important to the history and development of Gibson as a major manufacturer of six-stringed instruments as the Super 400 and Super 400-CES. The model first appeared in 1934 as an archtop acoustic with no cutaway, simply named the Super 400. As it was then - and still remains today in the Super 400-CES - the Super 400 was the largest guitar the company had ever produced, with an astounding body width of 18 inches. But as Gibson has evolved over the years to adapt to the industry's ever-changing advancements, so have its Super 400s.
The earliest Super 400 models were quite similar to Gibson's other archtop acoustic, the L-5, and featured a hand-engraved tailpiece and hand-engraved finger rest support, along with an "L-5 Super" truss rod cover. In 1939, the guitar underwent several changes that still remain with it today, including an enlarged upper bout, a new tailpiece similar to the one on the L-5, enlarged f-holes and a venetian cutaway option that is now a standard feature.
Although the Super 400s were discontinued during the mid-1940s because of the supply shortages of WWII, Gibson reintroduced the model in 1949. And as Gibson strived to gain an upper hand in the electric guitar market in the early 1950s, the model continued to progress with the eventual introduction of the first electric version.
- Body shape: Single cutaway
- Body type: Solid body
- Body material: Solid wood
- Top wood: Spruce High-grade
- Body wood: Maple High-grade
- Body finish: Gloss
- Orientation: Right handed
- Neck shape: ES rounded
- Neck wood: Maple 5-piece
- Joint: Set-in
- Scale length: 25.5"
- Truss rod: Standard
- Neck finish: Gloss
- Material: Ebony
- Radius: 12"
- Fret size: Medium
- Number of frets: 20
- Inlays: Pearl block
- Nut width: 1.687" (42.8mm)
- Configuration: HH
- Neck: '57 Classic
- Middle: Not applicable
- Bridge: '57 Classic
- Brand: Gibson
- Active or passive: Passive
- Series or parallel: Series
- Piezo: No
- Active EQ: No
- Special electronics: None
- Control layout: Volume 1, volume 2, tone 1, tone 2
- Pickup switch: 3-way
- Coil tap or split: No
- Kill switch: No
- Bridge type: Fixed
- Bridge design: Tune-o-matic
- Tailpiece: Trapeze
- Tuning machines: Schaller
- Color: Gold
- Number of strings: 6-string
- Special features: Limited production
- Case: Hardshell case
- Accessories: Warranty card, adjustment tools
- Country of origin: United States
Does it get any better than this? Order today.
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.