- H99765 000001000 H99765000001000
G&L ASAT Special Electric Guitar
- Write a Review
The G&L ASAT Special just might be the quintessential G&L guitar, viewed by many as Leo's ultimate single-cutaway. Back in 1985, Leo Fender l...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
The quintessential G&L guitar with P-90-style pickups.
The G&L ASAT Special just might be the quintessential G&L guitar, viewed by many as Leo's ultimate single-cutaway. Back in 1985, Leo Fender launched this model under the G&L Broadcaster name, which prompted a response from Fred Gretsch of Gretsch Guitars over the name just as it had 35 years earlier. History buffs will recall that the Broadkaster name is owned by Gretsch, and once again, a Broadcaster from Leo was required to have its name changed. This time around, the name became "ASAT" which is US military shorthand for an "Anti-Satellite" missile.
The ASAT Special, as the model became known, features jumbo single-coil Magnetic Field Design pickups, each with a narrow bobbin aperture for a coil which is shallow yet wide. In this regard, an MFD jumbo single coil is similar to a P-90 or Jazzmaster pickup, yet the MFD principle provides a punchier bottom end and brighter top end sparkling with harmonics. Leo further departed with the past with the addition of his innovative Saddle-Lock bridge which transfers string energy right into the body end-grain for an incredibly resonant instrument. The result is one of the most versatile guitars ever, serving up ballsy twang to searing blues to smooth jazz tones.
- Bolt-on construction
- 25-1/2" scale
- Leo Fender-designed G&L MFD single coils
- Swamp Ash body on Premier Finishes, Alder on Standard Finishes
- Hard-Rock Maple with Maple or Rosewood fingerboard
- G&L C-shaped neck with 12" radius and 1 5/8" nut-width
- 100% natural bone nut
- 22 medium jumbo frets, nickel, Plek dressed
- 12:1 ratio, sealed-back tuners
- Leo Fender-designed G&L Saddle-Lock with chrome-plated brass saddles
- 3-position pickup selector, volume, tone
Experience the genius of Leo's contribution to the guitar-playing world. Order today.
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Good Feel
- Great Tuners
- Solid Build
- Solid Electronics
- Unique sound
- Rock Concerts
- School Bands
- Small Venues
Comments about G&L ASAT Special Electric Guitar:
People that know this guitar, and the importance G&L has in history, will know that a guitar like this is invaluable. The ASAT Special has a unique tone that is useful in any scenario where you require the particular tones that this guitar delivers.
Often, I've seen people compare it to a tele. This is pretty unfair for both the tele and the asat, they are each their own individual animals, and have their specific uses, as any good guitar does.
The build of this guitar is solid, and feels incredibly good to play and hold.
Every serious musician should have a G&L in their rig, the tone, by itself, is worth it.