- J33550 000001000 J33550000001000
Taylor 500 Series 516ce Grand Symphony Acoustic-Electric Guitar
- Write a Review
Taylor's revitalized 500 Series mahogany guitars, like this 516ce Grand Symphony Acoustic-Electric, are brimming with appealing refinements, starting...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
Special spruce top and Taylor electronics gives this guitar plenty of tonal juice.
Taylor's revitalized 500 Series mahogany guitars, like this 516ce Grand Symphony Acoustic-Electric, are brimming with appealing refinements, starting with new bracing that boosts the volume, low-end richness and projection, while also making the guitars more responsive. A new top wood, Lutz spruce, joins the mix on Dreadnought and Grand Symphony models, producing a powerful sound reminiscent of Adirondack spruce. The 500 Series 516ce ships in a deluxe hardshell case made by Taylor for optimal fit and protection.
Compared to the Taylor Grand Auditorium, the Grand Symphony has a bigger, rounder lower bout and slightely wider "waist" area, and the bigger sound board (top) means more tonal output. Expect a meaty lower midrange and strong treble shimmer. A GS is best if you want a guitar with a robust low end, strong volume when strumming or flatpicking, and clear articulation in response to light fingerpicking attack.
Tone Wood Pairing
A guitar's top is the primary filter and distributor of vibrating string energy through the guitar, which means it has a huge impact on its sound. Lutz Spruce is a naturally occuring hybrid of Sitka and White spruce. Sitka is the most prevalent guitar top wood of the modern era because it blends stiffness and elasticity in just the right proportions which translates into broad dynamic range with crisp articulation. Lutz spruce takes these attributes and blends them with those of White and Englemann spruce, with an end result resembling old Adirondack spruce. When combined with Taylor's bracing architecture, guitars are more powerful, richer and louder than before.
Tropical mahogany is known for a meaty midrange featuring a strong fundamental without adding a lot of ringing overtones. It responds well to players with a strong attack who like dry, earthy, lo-fi sounds. It has a natural compression that smooths out strumming and picking technique. Mahogany's clear and direct tonal character makes it a great option for playing and standing out among other instruments.
Taylor's ES2 is a revolutionary pickup design that delivers the latest in Taylor’s ongoing innovation in acoustic guitar amplification. The heart of the Expression System 2 is Taylor’s patented behind-the-saddle pickup, which features three uniquely positioned and individually calibrated pickup sensors. Because the pickup doesn't sit under the saddle, the bottom of the saddle comes in full contact with the bridge, allowing all the nuance of the guitar's tone to come through clearly whether playing acousticly or plugged-in.
The location of the sensors enables a more dynamic range of acoustic sound to be captured than ever before while playing plugged-in. Together with Taylor’s custom-designed “professional audio”-grade preamp, this system produces exceptional amplified tone and responsiveness. On stage through a PA, plugged into your favorite acoustic amplifier, or direct into recording software, the Expression System 2 faithfully conveys the voice of your Taylor guitar. The Taylor Expression System 2 operates through a proprietary 9-volt battery compartment and easy-to-use volume, bass and treble controls.
The Taylor Difference What sets Taylor Guitars apart? Unmatched build quality, the most stable and playable necks, a vast array of tonal options, eco-conscious and ethically-sourced raw materials, and a lifetime of service and support.
- Body type: Taylor Grand Symphony
- Cutaway: Yes - Venetian
- Top wood: Solid Lutz spruce
- Back & sides: Solid tropical mahogany
- Bracing pattern: Taylor Performance Bracing (Standard III with Relief Rout)
- Body finish: Gloss 6.0
- Orientation: Right-Handed
- Neck shape: Standard Taylor profile
- Nut width: 1-3/4 in. (44.5 mm)
- Fingerboard: Genuine African ebony
- Neck wood: Tropical mahogany
- Scale length: 25-1/2 in.
- Number of frets: 20
- Neck finish: Satin
- Pickup/preamp: YEs
- Brand: Taylor
- Configuration: Behind-the-saddle transducer with adjustable sensors
- Preamp EQ: Volume, Bass, Treble
- Feedback filter: Onboard phase switch
- Tuner: None
- Headstock overlay: Genuine African ebony
- Tuning machines: Taylor nickel tuners with nickel buttons
- Bridge: Genuine African ebony
- Saddle & nut: Micarta "Wave" saddle; tusq nut
- Number of strings: 6
- Special features: Faux-tortoise-bound soundhole, genuine ebony bridge pins
- Case: Taylor deluxe hardshell case
- Accessories: None
- Country of origin: USA
Grab this excellently built Taylor today!
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.