- J24145 000001000 J24145000001000
Taylor 800 Series 856ce Grand Symphony Acoustic-Electric 12-String Guitar
- Write a Review
The essence of the Taylor playing experience lives within the rosewood/spruce 800 Series. With the debut of its comprehensive redesign in 2014, maste...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
Power, balance and crystal-clear articulation.
The essence of the Taylor playing experience lives within the rosewood/spruce 800 Series. With the debut of its comprehensive redesign in 2014, master guitar designer Andy Powers took what was already Taylor’s flagship guitar series and deployed an array of voicing enhancements, ranging from customized bracing and wood thicknesses for each body style to the use of protein glues and ultra-thin finish, to bring out another level of musicality. Together, these refinements deliver much more than the sum of their parts. For everyone from pros to hobbyists, they make the playing experience more expressive, inspiring and fun.
The 856ce 12-string comes with Taylor Expression System 2 electronics and ship in a Taylor deluxe hardshell case.
Compared to the Taylor Grand Auditorium, the Grand Symphony has a bigger, rounder lower bout and slightely wider "waist" area, and the bigger soundboard (top) means more tonal output. Expect a meaty lower midrange and strong treble shimmer. A GS is best if you want a guitar with a robust low end, strong volume when strumming or flatpicking, and clear articulation in response to light fingerpicking attack.
A guitar's top is the primary filter and distributor of vibrating string energy through the guitar, which means it has a huge impact on its sound. Sitka Spruce is the most prevalent guitar top wood of the modern era. It blends stiffness and elasticity in just the right proportions which translates into broad dynamic range with crisp articulation. Solid Indian rosewood back and sides complement the Sitka top with sound that's made it one of the most popular tone woods ever. Rosewood produces the strongest bass response among the tone woods commonly used for guitars, with a slightly scooped midrange. Rosewood's sweeping frequency range - deep lows that assert a throaty growl with sparkling highs - rings out with bell-like, high-fidelity clarity. It yields a full-range acoustic voice with complex overtones and extended sustain.
Taylor's ES2 is a revolutionary pickup design that delivers the latest in Taylor’s ongoing innovation in acoustic guitar amplification. The heart of the Expression System 2 is Taylor’s patented behind-the-saddle pickup, which features three uniquely positioned and individually calibrated pickup sensors. Because the pickup doesn't sit under the saddle, the bottom of the saddle comes in full contact with the bridge, allowing all the nuance of the guitar's tone to come through clearly whether playing acousticly or plugged-in. The location of the sensors enables a more dynamic range of acoustic sound to be captured than ever before while playing plugged-in. Together with Taylor’s custom-designed “professional audio”-grade preamp, this system produces exceptional amplified tone and responsiveness. On stage through a PA, plugged into your favorite acoustic amplifier, or direct into recording software, the Expression System 2 faithfully conveys the voice of your Taylor guitar. The Taylor Expression System 2 operates through a proprietary 9-volt battery compartment and easy-to-use volume, and active bass and treble controls.
Custom-calibrated wood thicknesses and bracing for each body shape, 3.5 mil finish thickness, protein glue (bracing and bridge), rosewood pickguard, rosewood top trim, single ring abalone rosette edged with rosewood, pearl "Element" fingerboard inlay, maple binding (non-figured).
The Taylor Difference
What sets Taylor Guitars apart? Unmatched build quality, the most stable and playable necks, a vast array of tonal options, eco-conscious and ethically-sourced raw materials, and a lifetime of service and support.
- Body type: Taylor Grand Symphony
- Cutaway: Single Cutaway
- Top wood: Solid Sitka Spruce
- Back & sides: Solid Indian Rosewood
- Bracing pattern: 800 Series Advanced Performance Grand Symphony Bracing with Relief Rout
- Body finish: Gloss 3.5 Top, Back and Sides
- Orientation: Right-Handed
- Neck shape: Taylor Standard Profile
- Nut width: 1.87 in. (47.6 mm)
- Fingerboard: Genuine African Ebony
- Neck wood: Tropical Mahogany
- Scale length: 25.5 in.
- Number of frets: 20
- Neck finish: Satin
- Pickup/preamp: Expression System 2 Professional Audio-Grade
- Brand: Taylor
- Configuration: Behind-the-Saddle Transducer with Adjustable Sensors
- Preamp EQ: 2-Band
- Feedback filter: Phase
- Tuner: No
- Headstock overlay: Genuine African Ebony
- Tuning machines: Taylor Nickel Tuners with Nickel Buttons
- Bridge: Genuine African Ebony
- Saddle & nut: Micarta "Wave" Saddle; Tusq Nut
- Number of strings: 12
- Special features: See "Other Features" above
- Case: Taylor Deluxe Hard Shell Case
- Accessories: None
- Country of origin: United States
Get a 12-string you'll love for a lifetime. Order today.
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.