- Product 701688
Kurzweil K2661 61-Key Keyboard Sampling Workstation
- Write a Review
Fully compatible with all Kurzweil K2x00 models, the K2661 electronic keyboard lets professionals continue their work without interruption, always co...Click To Read More About This Product
We're sorry-this item is unavailable.
Find a similar product below or contact our experts for a recommendation of great alternatives. Call us at 800-449-9128.Customers Also Viewed:
Stunning array of powerful features plus total retro compatibility.
Fully compatible with all Kurzweil K2x00 models, the K2661 electronic keyboard lets professionals continue their work without interruption, always confident that archived work will be compatible.
Kurzweil's world-renowned V.A.S.T. architecture, enhanced with Triple Modular Processing, provides 127 algorithms to shape your sounds. In addition, the KDFX effects processors provide 5 stereo bus effects with 24-bit processing. The K2661 is a complete workstation, allowing the user to work from concept to completion without changing from station to station.
Kurzweil is known for quality instruments that are upgraded, not outdated. All K2000, K2500, and K2600 Series libraries are forward-compatible with the K2661 keyboard. This is how Kurzweil was able to build the largest sound library in the world. In addition, Kurzweil reads other major formats directly into the system for use with its V.A.S.T. architecture. New operating systems and options are always being created, expanding an artist's power while preserving his/her investment in time and programming.
Kurzweil's award-winning Variable Architecture Synthesis Technology (V.A.S.T.) is the state-of-the-art synthesis system, giving an artist powerful expression not available with any other brand. V.A.S.T. can accurately model or emulate many synthesis processes offered by the competition, past or present. In addition, V.A.S.T. has many processes not available anywhere else.
ASK AND RECEIVE
The K2661 also includes new features players around the world have asked for. They include ADAT optical output for 8 channels of 24-bit digital output and a SmartMedia slot for convenient storage and upgrades. The K2661 digital piano includes all of the standard ROM sounds from the K2600, plus the Orchestral ROM block and Contemporary ROM block. In addition, a General MIDI 1 sound set is provided for convenient authoring of MIDI files for the World Wide Web.
The KB-3 Organ Mode accurately models a tone wheel organ. The sliders and mod wheel are used as the drawbars for realtime control. This revolutionary synthesis modeling tool gives the user the power to blend harmonics in real time to create and control unique new timbres. Full polyphony is always maintained, with a single-voice containing 9 harmonics that may be blended, controlled, and/or recorded in real time.
The Kurzweil K2661's full-function 32-track sequencer is equipped with many features only found on the most sophisticated software-based sequencers. With a maximum internal resolution of 768 ppq, sequencer functions include: linear, pattern, and step (drum machine), record modes, reference quantize, event edit list, cut, copy, paste facilities, advanced auto arranger functions (allows sequences to be triggered from keys with velocity sensitivity and transposition), grab (imports tracks from other sequences) and more. Reference quantize allows the user to quantize to a groove track, and to quantize tracks not previously recorded with a click. The event edit list, with view filters and audible scroll, enables precise, computer-style editing. If the user already created some work on a computer sequencer, or wants to use a computer for additional development, the K2661 can import and export either Type 1 or Type 0 MIDI files on DOS format media. The K2661 sequencer is the most sophisticated available.
The K2661 is a complete MIDI controller. The front panel also has 8 independently assignable sliders, useful as MIDI sliders, for sequencer mixdown, or as organ drawbars in the KB-3 Mode. 2 buttons above the pitch and mod wheels are completely programmable. The optional 600mm ribbon controller is programmable in 3 distinct zones or one long zone. Additional controllers include sequencer "transport control" buttons, 4 footswitch inputs, and 2 continuous control pedal inputs (1 CC and 1 CC/breath controller). The breath controller input accepts Yamaha BC-1, BC-2, and BC-3 breath controllers. The multitude of flexible controllers make the K2661 the ideal centerpiece for any MIDI production.
The K2600 piano keyboard includes 24-bit balanced audio outputs with patented output circuitry that deliver professional audio signal levels (1/4" t/r/s). Unbalanced (1/4") outputs are also supported.
The K2661 user can install options including sample RAM (up to 128MB) and sound ROM boards.
LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE
The K2661 is the most portable keyboard in the K2600 family by far. Gigging musicians will appreciate the ability to take their most sophisticated production station out on the road.
Powerful V.A.S.T. DSP capabilities to process any incoming mono or stereo signal via the digital inputs or analog inputs (requires the sampling option). Imagine plugging your guitar, microphone, mixer or tape track directly into your K2661 and customizing the sound using any of the V.A.S.T. parameters, all in real-time. Then add effects using the K2661's state-of-the-art KDFX. The K2661 is the most advanced real-time signal processor ever created. With the ADAT/AES selectable optical I/O connections you get up to 8 inputs and 8 outputs which can bidirectionally communicate with other devices such as ADAT Modular Digital Multitrack recorders or computer digital audio interfaces.
ON BOARD SOUNDS
The K2661 keyboard offers over 450 programs (with 100s more available) for a wide and useful selection. Handy search string functions allow the user to locate a program, setup or object quickly in memory. The K2661 uses a file format that is K2000, K2500, and K2600 compatible, enabling it to read Kurzweil or third-party sound libraries for each instrument from SmartMedia or any SCSI disk (such as CD-ROM). The K2661 can also read other manufacturers' sample libraries including Roland's(r) 700 Series, Akai(r) S1000, S1100 and S3000, and Ensoniq(r) EPS and ASR file formats. V.A.S.T. processing will give new life to these files. The K2661 gives the Kurzweil owner access to a huge sound library.
The K2661 interactive setups allow for easy creative inspiration using multitimbral "grooves." Kurzweil gives the user instant access to the most useful parameters for real-time control of programs and setups from a wide assortment of pre-assigned controllers.
The rear panels of the K2661 provides additional controller inputs for a multitude of interfacing possibilities. The controller inputs include the 600mm ribbon controller, 4 footswitch, one breath-controller and 2 continuous control pedal jacks (one CC pedal and one CC/breath input). Interconnection is easy with a 25-pin SCSI connector and MIDI in, out and thru (thru switchable to a copy of out). Rear panel outputs include a pair of mixed audio outs, 4 individual 24-bit balanced audio outs with Kurzweil's patented output circuitry, and one headphone output. In addition, optical ports provide selectable ADAT Lightpipe or S/P-DIF I/O. Add the K2661 Sampling Option (SMP-2X) for a full range of additional digital and analog inputs. The K2661 digital piano brings unparalleled control, distribution, and communication to your digital audio environment.
KDFX (Kurzweil Digital Effects) utilizes Kurzweil's proprietary VLSI chips and DSP algorithms. It includes a versatile 5-stereo-bus design, 24-bit signal processing, cutting edge DSP functionality, and unparalleled real-time control, all with an extremely flexible routing scheme. All I/O can be routed through KDFX including 8 outputs and 8 inputs from the ADAT digital I/O or analog sampling I/O.
The K2661 has 32 MB of internal sound ROM, and 2 expansion slots for a total of up to 48MB of ROM sound samples. The internal sound ROM includes all of the samples from the K2600, the K2600's Orchestral and Contemporary ROM options, and a General MIDI 1 sound set. In addition, the Stereo Dynamic Piano, and Vintage Electric Pianos ROM options can be installed in the expansion slots.
THE CHOICE IS CLEAR
Kurzweil's award-winning instruments have always been known for their excellent sound quality, long-life, and state-of-the-art synthesis and sampling technology. Once again Kurzweil delivers the next generation of music with the K2661. The right features, the right technology and the right sounds. Now more than ever, the Kurzweil keyboard is the choice of professionals around the world.
- 61-key unweighted synth-style action with monophonic aftertouch
- True 48-voice polyphony with 192 oscillators
- Fluorescent 64 x 240 backlit LCD display
- Up to 128MB of sample memory
- Flash memory for OS and ROM storage (allows software updates via SmartMedia, MIDI, and SCSI)
- Full MIDI controller capabilities including 8 sliders, optional ribbon controller, footswitches, pedals, and breath controllers all assignable
- V.A.S.T. Variable Architecture Synthesis Technology with 60 DSP functions. Triple Modular Processing offers 126 sound-shaping algorithms for per-voice processing
- Extensive sample-processing capabilities
- Over 450 programs provided
- 32 track sequencer with full editing
- 16 MIDI channels, each can be a 32-layer program
- Sampling option with analog and digital inputs and sample-while-play capability
- Up to 48MB onboard ROM sounds, including Kurzweil's acclaimed Stereo Grand Piano
- Powerful KDFX 5 stereo bus, 24-bit digital effects
- Optical digital ports, selectable as ADAT Lightpipe or S/PDIF for up to 8 channels of 24-bit digital I/O
- KB-3 Organ Mode provides powerful tone wheel organ synth models
- Live Mode, real-time processing of live inputs
- Balanced analog audio outputs
- Stereo headphone output
- Model: K2661 - 61-note unweighted synth-style keyboard
- Power Supply: User switchable international power supply
- Architecture: Proprietary V.A.S.T. system
- Polyphony: 48 voices
- Display: 64 x 240 fluorescent backlit display with brightness and contrast controls
- Analog I/O: 4 balanced audio outs with 24-bit converters plus mix stereo pair (can also be used as unbalanced). Stereo headphone out
- With SMP-2X sampling option: Stereo 1/4 in. unbalanced analog hi-Z input (tip/ring/sleeve); two balanced lo-Z (XLR) inputs
- Digital I/O: 8 channels of 24-bit ADAT input and output or 2 channels of S/P-DIF input and output via optical ports
- With SMP-2X: 2 channels optical S/P-DIF inputs
- Sample RAM: Up to 128 MB via one non-composite 72 pin SIMM
- Sound ROM: Up to 48MB; 32 MB base ROM plus 8MB Stereo Dynamic Piano ROM, and 8MB Vintage Electric Piano ROM
- Sequence/Program RAM: 1.5MB user-programmable battery-backed RAM
- SCSI support: One SCSI-1 25-pin connector.
- Software Upgrades: User-installed upgrades via SmartMedia card, MIDI, or SCSI. Software available for download from this web site. DOS compatibility required.
- AFMS File System: User-friendly cataloging and retrieval of individual objects. Powerful utilities including: file search, info about media/available space, disk macros, startup file applications, and more.
- KB3 Drawbar Mode: Allows blending of 9 harmonics per voice in real-time (full polyphony maintained at all times). KB3 Mode allows realistic tone wheel organ emulations and innovative, dynamic new timbres.
- Live Mode: Process any incoming signal via the digital or optional analog inputs with powerful V.A.S.T. synthesis functions and built in KDFX capabilities.
- Sample Processing DSP: Non-realtime DSP functions include time compression/expansion, pitch shifting, resampling, pasting samples on beats-per-minute timeline (Mix Beat), volume ramps, mix sample, and many other functions. Sample Processing DSP does not require the sampling option to be installed.
- Sequencer: Full-function sequencer with 16 song and 16 arrangement tracks. Offers pattern, linear, and step recording, cut/copy/paste, advanced 'groove' quantizing, event list editing, and other powerful editing tools. Sequences can be triggered in real time from the keyboard.
- Compatibility: Reads/writes Standard MIDI Files, AIFF and WAVE files. Reads libraries in Roland 700 series, Akai S1000, S1100, and S3000, and Ensoniq EPS, and ASR file formats.
Reviewed by 2 customers
Displaying reviews 1-2
For anyone who has used the K2XXX series in the past, the K2661 is the ultimate. Same old VAST software, which is NOT user friendly, but once you learn it, it can do absolutely ANYTHING. The transfer of the library from your old K2000 series (I had a K2VX) was NOT as seamless as they made it sound (the effects were all screwed up) but once I made the change, I was very happy. Holy smokes, this is one fantastic instrument. Even now that it's discontinued, there's NOTHING else out there that is even remotely comparable. My ONLY complaint is that it is REALLY REALLY REALLY slow to boot using the media card. (Much faster from external hard drive. Too bad the power supply won't handle an internal hard drive). If I were a young keyboard player who didn't already understand VAST, I wouldn't bother; it's very complicated. But if you're an old Kurzweil player from the last 2 decades, get a K2661.
This is the best K2 to date. The K2661 is not as trendy as the Tritons, Motifs, and Fantoms, but it is a powerful, deep, and well made synth. Any sound that you can hear in your head can be produced by this synth. Also don't be fooled by the 48 notes of polyphony--it's true polyphony with 192 oscillators. If you are in the market for a synth make sure that you check out the K2661.