- Product 583478
Notion NOTION 3 Composition Software
- Write a Review
Notion 3 is the first music notation software to bridge the gap between notation and an audio application. Now you can not only create and listen, bu...Read More
We're sorry—this item is unavailable.
Find a similar product below or contact our experts for a recommendation of great alternatives. Call us at 800-449-9128.Similar Items:
We're sorry—this item is unavailable.
Notion 3 is the first music notation software to bridge the gap between notation and an audio application. Now you can not only create and listen, but also perform live or produce music with stunning results. NOTION 3 has an entirely new design, new sounds, and comes with more new features than previous versions. It includes improved workflow, better sounds, enhanced live performance features, and incredible compatibility with plug-ins, sample libraries, and DAWs.
Easy to look at, Easier to Use
Notation 3 has a sleek, intuitive interface and workflow allowing you to use notation, guitar tab, or MIDI devices to craft music of any style, be it orchestral, jazz, or rock. One brand new idea is the newly designed entry palette that you can dock at the bottom of the screen or move to the cursor right-click of your mouse—a great design that can speed up your workflow. The entire Notion 3 entry screen itself has had a big makeover. The way the score looks, how you can view it, and the improved use of space, buttons, and tools were all designed to put the focus on the score itself. Writing for guitar or bass? An interactive fretboard for both guitar and bass is available, as well an interactive chord library.
Over 10GB of Improved and Enhanced Samples
Exclusively featuring the sounds of The London Symphony Orchestra recorded in great detail at Abbey Road Studios Notation3's samples are even better than before. The new enhanced sounds use close mics to really hear the essence of the instrument, and all of the new sounds are in stereo. Not only are they enhanced, there are also more of them. NOTION3 comes bundled with more sounds than any previous version of NOTION, including the legacy sound versions of NOTION.
In addition to the incredible sounds by The London Symphony Orchestra, you also get all the sounds that come with NOTION Music's celebrated guitar software product, PROGRESSION. These sounds feature electric and acoustic guitar by Neil Zaza, electric bass by Victor Wooten, drums by Roy "FutureMan" Wooten, as well as upright acoustic bass and different keyboards including Clavinet and Fender Rhodes — all recorded at world-famous studios.
This feature is unique to NOTION3. Record MIDI input on a standard notation staff while retaining all the MIDI data including modulations, bends and dynamics. Keep in SequencerStaff view or convert to notation instantly. This incredible new feature seems familiar and totally new all at the same time, because, in a way, it is. Essentially the MIDI data is recorded directly on the instrument staff, all of the data can be seen — the duration, the range in pitch, dynamic information, etc — and all of it can be edited. This is a great way of getting a performance that was inputted using a MIDI device to be exactly as intended.
Professional Audio Mixer
The professional audio mixer in Notion3 comes complete with buses, inserts, sends, multiple direct channel outs and VST effects, this mixer is unlike anything you have ever seen in a notation product. In NOTION3, of course, volume can be totally controlled by dynamic markings in the score. But for more detailed control, and for those who feel more at home with a mixer that resembles the ones seen in a DAW, NOTION3's new mixer delivers a great tool for everyone. You can control and mix your entire score or group the mixer into instrument sections. Use the inserts to bring in effects and plug-ins, utilize the buses, the solo and mute options, and, of course, the incredible panning. This mixer gives you a closer look into how NOTION3 is bridging the gap between notation software and an audio application.
with Notion3 you finally get a notation product with full ReWire integration that supports both host and slave options. Use ReWire to control other audio applications or have them control NOTION. Use the NTempo feature to control playback in your DAW. This program gives you tons of possibilities.
Built to be compatible with digital audio workstations, NOTION3 effortlessly works with third-party VSTi libraries, and further integration has been achieved with Vienna Special Edition and Special Edition Plus, East West Quantum Leap Platinum, Miroslav Philharmonik, and Garritan Personal Orchestra. With these libraries NOTION3 will recognize them at the score-setup stage. Simply select library and instruments for the score, combine multiple libraries if desired, start composing, and instantly get playback of all sounds, expressions, and articulations. No mapping is needed.
In addition to VSTi compatibility, NOTION3 also works with VST effects and plug-ins. NOTION3 comes bundled with IK Multimedia's AmpliTube X-Gear and CSR Hall Reverb, so right-out-of-the-box reverb and amps can be added to instruments in a score. NOTION3's new enhanced compatibility with other VST plug-ins can be used as well. You can also take advantage of full MIDI functionality and the option of importing audio into a score as well as saving the score as an audio file.
Live Performance with NTempo
This gives Notion3 advanced realtime tempo control that includes vamps, repeats, score navigation, and other features allowing it to be used like a musical instrument with accompaniment, rehearsal, or professional live performances. Other products may say they do this, but how many of them have been on tour with some of the top musicals and performances in the world, performance after performance, night after night, with the user controlling entire orchestral scores along with real live players in front of sold out audiences? NOTION was the first to have the NTempo feature and has taken it to all new levels. Not only can the user tap the speed of a score but also can get to the fraction of note level, giving the user the option of very focused rhythmic nuance. In NTempo mode, NOTION3 recognizes repeats and other musical symbols. You can also go in and out of vamps at any time, use the score navigation to look ahead, and so much more.
Notion software that allows you to do it all — compose, produce, publish and perform.
- Clean, streamlined user interface with great emphasis on clarity, workflow, and score readability
- Performance Display with rehearsals, timecode, measures, and performed notated tempo
- Timeline strip with point-and-click and GoTo measure navigation
- Score Entry Palette docked and floating neatly organizes and contains all score symbols and expressions allowing you to quickly and easily find anything you want to add
- Interactive Guitar Fretboard for Score Entry and Guitar chord/diagram insertion
- New Pro-audio Mixer UI with visual and numerical entry, mixer groups, signal meters, and peak indicators
- Master channel meter on the toolbar with peak indication
- Color-coded mode dependent playback marker
- Quick start screen on launch
- Automatic positioning of score elements — never have to worry about aligning hairpins, dynamics, articulations
- Note entry with Mouse, Keyboard and/or MIDI device
- Step Time and Real Time MIDI entry
- MIDI entry on grand staff with split point
- Optimized editing functions, clear special, mass add articulations, duplicate etc.
- "Cuts" functionality supported in score and playback
- Customizable Accel and Rit markings
- Partial ("expandable") measures (add more or less notes than the Time Signature requires)
- Pickup measures
- Linked Tab / Notation / Edit tab staff and notation will reflect changes and vice versa
- Bends, Holds, Bend-releases customizable and playing back
- Tremolo Bar symbols and Vibrato
- Guitar Diagrams generated for every chord symbol with support for custom tuning and number of strings - all 12 positions per chord, which means you get 12 diagrams per chord instead of one
- Edit and customize guitar diagrams on the fretboard
- Guitar chords transpose with transposition function
- Palm mute, let ring, slap, pull-off, hammer-on, fingerings, and numerous other guitar functions
- Click and drag beam adjustment
- Custom Beaming
- Custom beaming patterns for Time Signatures
- Short score feature: up to 4 different instruments on a grand staff with individual dynamic handling
- Alternate note heads: X, diamond, circles, crossed, etc.
- Ghost notes functionality supported in playback
- Breath Comma with customizable playback
- Caesura with customizable playback
- Quickly change note rhythms with a key combo
- Chord library supporting click-in chord symbols with three representation styles: default, minimal, and symbol
- Type-in chord symbols
- Click and drag to position dynamics, notes, beaming, text, and other score elements
- Unique to NOTION - Sequencer Staff which records MIDI in sequencer style on a regular staff. Records all MIDI data such as velocity and continuous controllers
- Edit Sequencer Staff notes with arrow keys
- Overdub Sequencer Staff notes and MIDI CC controllers
- Convert to notation from sequencer staff
- Copy/Paste to NTempo staff
- Crash recovery
- Grace notes, cue notes, tacet notes
- Hide and Reveal score Items
- Dynamics customization
- Enharmonic Respell
- Type-in Expressions feature
- Flip Stems
- Fill with Rests
- 4 voices per staff
- Add voice 1+2 simultaneously
- Harp Tuning, respected in playback
- Hidden Rests
- 8va/8vb/15ma/15mb marks
- Arpeggio marks
- Coda, DS al Segno, Segno etc.
- Customizable barline groups, bracket groups, brace groups and tempo groups
- Lyrics with multiple verses
- Instrument changes with individual mixer channels
- Custom measure numbers with letters support
- Multi-bar rests
- Quick chord construction
- Switch voices
- Repeats and endings with proper playback and export
- Sfz, sffz, and other special articulations and dynamics
- Fingered tremolo
- Guitar Slides
- Easily create tuplets or turn existing notes to tuplets
- Quartertones: entry and playback
- Chord summary at top of page
- Drum Library
- Pages View: Across and Down
- Continuous View
- 3 Different UI Themes; Default, Performance (Dark) and White
- Concert / Transposed view toggle
- Dynamic Parts
- Unique, In-document Score Setup with point and clicking adding, removing and moving staffs
- Score Headers and Footers
- Hide/Show Staffs
- Jazz Font
- Link measures
- Tempo groups, bracket groups, customizable system breaks, measures per system etc.
- Voice colors
- What you see is what you get printing
- Bundled library of over 10GB of orchestral and non-orchestral sounds
- London Symphony Orchestra, Roy Wooten, Victor Wooten, Neil Zaza, and more
- Audio based playback engine without the need of a third party player
- Automatic mapping of samples to score symbols: what you see is what you hear for all instruments with all articulations and techniques
- Up to 4 different and independent audio instruments attached to a grand staff for superior short score playback functionality
- VST and VSTi support
- Bundled VSTi presets for VSL, EWQL, GPO and Miroslav libraries
- Use VSTi preset instruments from multiple libraries, each playing back with unique playback mappings
- Copy and paste between NOTION and VSTi preset instruments and preserve articulations dynamics and balance
- Bundled Amplitube X-Gear and CSR Hall Reverb from IK Multimedia
- Bundled Drum groove library
- ReWire Host and Slave functionality
- Discrete channel out per mixer channel strip
- Customizable playback rules
- Playback altering of dynamics
- Glissando and Portamento playback with respect to harp tunings
- 4 mappable MIDI out ports
- Pro audio mixer with 4 inserts, 4 buses, power pan, solo/mute, signal meters, and peak indicators
- Full MIDI recording on a sequencer staff
- Import MIDI into sequencer staffs
- Import an audio file
- Standard Drum staff mappings playback
- Selecting staffs to quickly solo in playback
- Playback of 1st and 2nd ending with 1st or 2nd only functionality
- Note Audition of entry and selections
- Guitar, bass, and drums articulations
- Chord symbols playback, respecting rhythm slashes
- Fermatas, caesuras, breath marks, repeats, accel, and any other tempo or score marking is faithfully reflected in playback and fully customizable
- Piano pedals, shortcut slashes, l.v., etc. all playback true to their intent
- Swing playback with adjustable weight and individual staff assignments
- Vamps and repeats playback
- Default rules for playback of MIDI and VST instruments not covered in presets
- Velocity Overdub for more natural expressive dynamics
- VST Manager
- Unique Performance mode giving you full control over the live performance of your piece
- Unmatched live performance features unique to NOTION
- Navigate your score through measures, beats, and rehearsal marks, and easily move between sections
- Full control the live playback at all times: stop, cut-off, move back, move forward, vamp (loop) a section on demand, repeats, etc.
- Conduct your score directly from your keyboard or MIDI device with customizable MIDI performance commands
- NTEMPO staff for great expressive control: use any tempo subdivision or your own rhythm to precisely control the performance of the score
- Record your performance and save it
- Edit a saved performance session.
- Live Play! lets you play any instrument in the score with your MIDI device during NOTION regular playback or in performance mode (also respects instrument changes)
- Control the dynamics of your score live, through the velocity of your MIDI device
- "Nudge" tempo slower or faster with the arrow keys, during playback
- Jump through cuts, skip repeats in real time while performing your score
- Auto-pilot resume at written tempo or resume at captured tempo feature
- Performance HUD showing performing tempo, written tempo, measure, beat, Timecode, and Rehearsal
- Open NOTION, PROGRESSION, PROTÉGÉ and NOTION Conducting files
Discover the new and enhanced features of this popular notation software. Order today!
NOTION 3 Composition Software
- System Requirements
- XP/Vista/Windows 7 (64 bit compatible)
- Recommended: 2.0GHz Core 2 / 2GB RAM
- Minimum: 2.4GHz Pentium 4 / 1GB RAM
- Requires 16GB Drive space; DVD Drive
- OSX 10.4 or Higher (Compatible with Snow Leopard)
- Recommended: Intel Mac / 2GB RAM
- Minimum: G5 PowerPC / 1GB RAM
- Requires 16GB Drive space; DVD Drive
Review Snapshot®by PowerReviews
Reviewed by 3 customers
Displaying reviews 1-3
Comments about NOTION 3 Composition Software:
I knew about the problems before I bought Notion 3, and I have no regrets whatsover.
I would give it a 10, but the Import/Export and Copy Protection are negatives.
If you have used notation software, you know complicated times ten. Notion is very simple, easy to use, and produces good looking notation you won't be ashamed to give to a musician. Creating a score with the mouse is excellent. You can also play in with a midi keybooard in real time, which notates well. Notion has an equally easy to use and simple mixer. The downside to simplicity is that Notion places many items which can not be placed in your exact choice of locations. However, the finished notation is very good looking. I also like that you can use Jazz font.
Notion can display a staff as a sequencer staff, like piano roll, but the notes are on a staff instead of a grid - hooray. It plays using score marks like volume, hairpins, staccato, etc. It comes with an excellent set of sounds and you can use any VST Instrument. It has a performance mode, where you can play a score while changing tempo and other items (I have not used this).
Notion Imports/Exports Midi files and MusicXML files. The Mid files will not handle time placed text like lyrics in either direction. The MusicXML will not Import Chord Names. Since I want to Import files with Lyrics and Chord Names, this is pretty irritating. However, entering Lyrics is a one-time 5 minute job, so it's not a real big problem. Chord Names take longer.
About 2 years ago I got the Notion demo, which was not the program it is today, and I didn't buy it. Since then, I have done 2 clean installs of Win7 Home Premium, including formatting the C: drive. When I got the Notion 3 demo, it wouldn't install because the time was expired, which means the copy protection had survived 2 formats. Notion support was good and got me going, but I am not happy with this level of copy protection. However, since I didn't even know it was on the computer. it obviously didn't hurt anything.
Notion is cheaper than any other notation program of equal quality and is an order of magnitude easier to use. The playback is excellent and the included sounds are good. I use Dimension Pro as a VST Instrument, which works fine.
Comments about NOTION 3 Composition Software:
I would not hesitate to buy it again, and urge anyone looking for a reasonably-priced alternative notation software to jump on this product.
Very full-featured package for the money," although I was disappointed that the ""Jazz"" voices for common instruments are add-ons for more $$$. If you can get by on the orchestral voices for trumpets and saxes (which are actually pretty good) then it's great.
The voices are incredible. Great drums", nice piano and ep, very lush strings, exceptionally good bass.
I've been using it for a month and so far have had zero hang-ups or screen freezes. It's sometimes tricky to add things like vibrato -- you've got to move the mouse around until you find just the right place and then it works. Hopefully this will get easier as I gain more experience with the interface.
Amazing value compared to Sibelius or Finale.
Comments about NOTION 3 Composition Software:
Wow. I never heard of NOTION... but I was looking for a full notation product that was:1. Easy to use.2. Good-looking notation.3. Good playback.NOTION3 has far surpassed my expectations! Great UI and really nice notation is only the surface... with tons of built-in London Symphony Orchestra samples and presets for other libraries sounds INCREDIBLE! And all of the playback happens without needing to tweak or map anything.AND for the price!!! The notation is not as intricate as Finale, but all-in-all easier to use and the playback is untouchable!