- Write a Review
A violin for the new millennium.
Capable of producing everything from traditional acoustic tone to full-tilt electric sound, this radically innovative instrument works in virtually any musical context.
The body is crafted in solid maple with a flamed face. A maple bout on the treble side provides standard violin reference and is readily removed for unrestricted neck access.
Other appointments include an ebony fingerboard and precision 40:1 fine tuners with automatic string clamping that are mounted on the body behind the bridge. An ergonomic foam pad shoulder rest is fully adjustable (up, down, and tilt).
The Polar directional piezo pickup responds selectively to either lateral or vertical string vibration. Piezo adjustment is accessible from the outside of instrument. A 3-way toggle switch allows the player to select the desired pickup and electronics options. 3 switch positions provide the player with different bowed sounds: one position delivers the extended frequency response of modern low-impedance electronics for a full-blown electric sound, while the second position activates electronic filters to replicate the frequency reponse of the traditional violin for an acoustic sound. The third setting is optimal for pizzicato technique as it captures vertical string vibration. The preamp provides volume, treble, and bass EQ.
- CONSTRUCTION Straight grain solid maple body and neck, with a flamed maple face on body.
- FINISH Traditional amber stain with polymer topcoat.
- BODY REFERENCE BOUT Black dyed maple bout on treble side provides standard violin reference. Easily removable for unrestricted neck access.
- FINGERBOARD Fretless ebony.
- BRIDGE Maple. Integrated Polar piezo pickup system.
- STRINGS D'Addario Helicore.
- TUNING MACHINES Precision 40:1 fine tuners mounted on the body behind the bridge. Automatic string clamping for quick, easy string changing. Patented tuning mechanism.
- PICKUP The Polar directional piezo pickup system responds selectively to either lateral or vertical string vibration. Piezo adjustment is accessible from the outside of instrument. A three-way toggle switch allows the player to select the desired pickup and electronics options. 3 switch positions allow the player different bowed sounds: one switch position delivers the extended frequency response of modern low-impedance electronics for a full-blown electric sound. Another position activates electronic filters to replicate the frequency reponse of the traditional violin for an acoustic sound. The third setting is optimal for pizzicato technique as it captures vertical string vibration.
- SHOULDER REST Ergonomic foam pad support is fully adjustable (up and down and tilt).
- ELECTRONICS, MIXER, & CONTROLS Active 9-volt preamp by EMG with an internal headphone amp/circuit. Mono output jack.
- * Volume
- * Treble EQ
- * Bass EQ
- * Switch for Polar pickup
- * Up ” vertical string vibration (pizzicato)
- * Center ” horizontal string vibration for electric bowed sounds
CR5 5-String Electric Violin
- LENGTH 540 mm (21.25")
- WIDTH 110 mm (4 5/16")
- THICKNESS 65 mm (2 9/16")
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
Reviewed by 2 customers
Displaying reviews 1-2
Comments about NS Design CR5 5-String Electric Violin:
I'm happy to own CR5 - because it's no change in sound like with acoustic violin. It's more heavy than acoustic - it's little shock first moment, but after few min. all will go away, because you can sound like never before - invest in good amp. to. I'll find how to fix chin and all supports - because i have steel guitar to play on stand and before i have my acoustic under my chin and CR5 is to heavy for chin. Changing instruments during song is taking little more time.
Sound is realy acoustic on any volume and i can switch to more electric/progresive during song.
Buy one and play like is no tomorrow.
Great future is bridge adjustment and sound. Only chin rest is done for somebody else, by somebody else - i like my own. Maybe some day NS design will make changable chin rest.
top wood - but wood is heavy and it's taking on performance.
sounds great. I'm using Fishman tower and you can add volume like never before - and no distortion!
I think some guitar slingers will note - somebody else is there to.....
Comments about NS Design CR5 5-String Electric Violin:
This is a well-built product. Even with 5 strings, the spacing is not so close that you can't get used to it quickly. The "acoustic" tone is quite good, and electrified is fantastic, no worries about feedback.