- J52649 000000000 J52649000000000
AEA Microphones KU4 Unidirectional Studio Ribbon Microphone
- Write a Review
The Legacy of the RCA KU3AThe KU4 celebrates the legendary RCA unidirectional KU3A, a high- sensitivity microphone designed for the Hollywood movie s...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
Versatile ribbon, a redesign of the best ribbon mics of the 30s and 40s.
The Legacy of the RCA KU3A
The KU4 celebrates the legendary RCA unidirectional KU3A, a high- sensitivity microphone designed for the Hollywood movie studios. Also known as a M-10001 for its manufacturing number, it was RCA’s most expensive ribbon microphone. Fewer than 600 were ever manufactured.
What made the KU3A special?
It combined the smooth ribbon sound of a 44 with a unidirectional pattern, a wide sweet spot and less proximity bass boost. It expanded an engineer’s range of placement choices and became a standard at film studios around the world.
Although condenser mics became the new standard by the end of the 1960s, ribbon mics are still appreciated today by experienced music recording engineers. However the KU3A is a rare microphone, a collector’s item, and few studios or rental houses own them. Opportunities to work with a good KU3A are limited.
We are proud to expand your opportunities with the AEA KU4 featuring an RCA ribbon, interchangeable KU3A parts and consistent performance.
How is the KU4 different from other ribbon microphones?
The KU4’s supressed rear lobe is useful when the back of a figure-of-eight would pick up undesirable sounds. The KU4’s reduced proximity bass boost facilitates closer micing and its low-tuned ribbon delivers solid, undistorted bass. These characteristics make the KU4 well suited for modern studio production.
Its lightly-tensioned, ultra low mass ribbon has a frequency response out to 40 kHz and fast, accurate transients. There is no upper midrange ringing common to large condenser mics. The KU4’s ribbon is well protected and its field-tech replaceable pole piece and ribbon assembly is a real convenience if an accident occurs.
The KU4 is your ticket to discovering why the KU3A has been part of high-end studio life for over 60 years. AEA is honored to play a part in its history, and invites you to listen to the KU4 and claim your part of this legacy.
- Supercardioid pattern for excellent rear rejection • Reduced proximity effect
- Smooth, high-bandwidth frequency response
- Authentic New Old Stock RCA ribbon material
- High-quality anodized & nickel-plated finish
- Custom AEA transformer, neodymium magnets • Consistent Quality
- Field-tech replaceable ribbon assembly
- Hand-crafted in Pasadena, California
Nothing like it. Your studio will never be the same. Consider this microphone.
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.