- Product 583466
Cakewalk SONAR 8.5 Producer Upgrade for Cakewalk Users
- Write a Review
SONAR 8.5 Producer upgrade gives you more tools to ignite your creativity and perfect your tracks with an excellent collection of virtual instrument...Click To Read More About This Product
We're sorry-this item is unavailable.
Find a similar product below or contact our experts for a recommendation of great alternatives. Call us at 800-449-9128.Customers Also Viewed:
An update with all the benefits of Sonar 8 with enhancements and new instruments, effects, and more.
SONAR 8.5 Producer upgrade gives you more tools to ignite your creativity and perfect your tracks with an excellent collection of virtual instruments, mixing, and mastering effects found in any digital audio workstation, all backed by 64-bit audio quality.
Now with version 8.5, SONAR continues to innovate on all fronts. New-to-the-series features including beat creation and arrangement tools, a drum instrument loaded with stellar kits and patterns, enhanced audio quantizing, multi-stage effect plug-ins for vocals and percussion, and more combine together to make SONAR the most complete, most professional, and best-sounding DAW to deliver your music productions.
This exciting view in the software update provides a simple and flexible arranging tool for any musician. Its cell-based, non-linear arrangement format makes it excel at groove (beat) creation for contemporary music production. However, its potential use and creative possibilities are well beyond just drum arranging because of how easy it is to use. Getting started is as easy as opening the Matrix View and dragging one or many ACID or REX loops, WAV files, Step Sequencer MIDI patterns, PTN MIDI patterns, or MIDI Groove Clips from the Media Brower or desktop into the Matrix. Upon doing so, an audio track is simultaneously created in SONAR's Track View, routed, and ready for instant playback.
Drag in any number of audio loops from the Media Browser, trigger them to start looping, and then record guitar parts into SONAR. Put entire song sections together by triggering an entire column of cells at a time. Experiment by mixing and matching different sounds and patterns, and then capture the entire Matrix "performance" into the SONAR Track View for further editing and mixing by clicking the Capture button (the icon looks like a roll of film) and rolling the SONAR transport. It's that easy.
Remix a SONAR project by dragging audio clips from the Track View into the Matrix and trigger them with complete control to create a new arrangement. Browse through hundreds of available MIDI patterns and Step Sequencer patterns, drag your favorites into the Matrix, and build up new sonic layers using any virtual instrument loaded in the SONAR Synth Rack.
For electronic and hip-hop music, the Matrix provides a comfortable, trigger-anything-anytime-anyway looping environment, using the four trigger modes and advanced MIDI controls. Beat juggling, one-shots, audio loops, Step Sequencer patterns — the Matrix can handle almost anything you throw at it.
Step Sequencer 2.0
SONAR's integrated Step Sequencer view is known for being one of the most advanced and comprehensive available in any DAW today. SONAR 8.5's Step Sequencer 2.0 takes this power to a new level with the depth of control over sound. Step Sequencer 2.0 was built with 3 goals in mind: to clean up and simplify the workflow and interface, to design a set of useful and powerful per-lane controls, and to provide control over finer per-step adjustments to create an elegant and musical workflow.
To launch and start programming step sequencer patterns — just click the new Step Sequencer button found on the toolbar of any virtual instrument UI and then simply drag and drop patterns from the Media Browser.
A redesigned dynamic controller pane provides simple per-lane controls over swing, time offset, duration, and velocity offset, as well as the timing of the new flam feature. In addition, each lane can be easily routed to any instrument in SONAR's Synth Rack. Drilling down deeper, the controller pane offers per-step editing for velocity level, time offset, and the new-to-the-series Probability feature.
This exclusive Per Step Probability feature solves the age-old problem of step-sequenced grooves sounding repetitive by giving users control over the probability that a step will be triggered. Use it to create automatic variations (make some steps only play occasionally) to keep step sequencer patterns sounding fresh.
Parameter values are now displayed as bars, drawn underneath the steps in the controller pane, making editing per step parameters such as Velocity, Step Offset, Probability, & other MIDI articulations quick and easy.
Session Drummer 3
Session Drummer has been a mainstay in SONAR for easy-and -fast creation of realistic sounding drum tracks. Now, Session Drummer 3 hits the stage with an all new look, sporting a sleek photorealistic 3D drum kit, along with routing improvements, plus 12 new kits and over 700 new patterns added to the selection of high-quality drums sounds and grooves available.
AudioSnap introduced the world to powerful, nondestructive, multitrack control over audio and MIDI timing. Sonar 8.5's AudioSnap 2 provides a refreshing new look and refinements to all the core controls from previous versions, significantly improving workflow. Some of the new-to-the-series features include a simplified UI, dedicated transient tool, a new proportional stretching mode, and multitrack stretch and quantization that maintains accurate phase relationships. Proportional stretching can be used both to correct unwanted timing fluctuations without hard quantizing, and to make smooth and gradual timing adjustments across several transients. Audio fidelity is enhanced with Radius Mix Advance Mode that provides new controls over the phase and pitch of the Izotope Radius timestretching algorithm, for more natural sounding vocals, reed, and brass instruments.
Enhanced fidelity with Radius Mix Advanced mode
The upgrade's Radius Mix settings includes two new sliders for adjusting pitch coherence and phase coherence. Pitch coherence preserves naturalness of timbre for pitched solo voices, such as human speech, vocals or reed and brass instruments, while avoiding smearing, or phasiness, and the audio artifacts present with the use of traditional vocoders and pitch correction algorithms. The application of higher values of pitch coherence or smoothness produces a higher audio quality output of processed source material, especially, polyphonic material. The phase coherence slider affects the processing of stereo audio and works to preserve the phase relationship between channels.
Cakewalk SONAR 8.5 has an updated and expanded Loop Explorer View. In its new form, Media Browser is the hub for SONAR content. Step Sequencer Patterns, REX Loops, and Project5 MIDI PTN files can all be previewed in Media Browser and easily drag and dropped into any track. As well, video files can be viewed in Media Browser and easily drag and dropped into a Video Thumbnail Track. Users' content folders can be stored and recalled as handy Media Browser presets. SONAR 8.5 ships with out-of-the-box presets that point directly to Beatscape REX Loops, Session Drummer 3 MIDI Drum Loops, Step Sequencer Patterns, RXP REX Loops, PTN MIDI Patterns, and MIDI Groove Clips.
Each MIDI and Instrument track in SONAR 8.5 audio software now has a built-in arpeggiator which allows you to turn even the simplest of patterns into exciting new sound textures. The SONAR Arpeggiator is a perfect tool for adding variety to any audio or MIDI track such as chord progression that repeats a number of times in a song, or for creating new complimentary parts using other instrument sounds that follow your chord progression. The SONAR Arpeggiator includes hundreds of patterns and classic algorithms, and provides not only powerful controls over the rate, octave range, latch, swing, flam, velocity, duration, and pitch offset of the arpegiation, but also control over mix, channel input, and shape. It includes hundreds of presets.
Engine optimizations and leading technology innovations
A SONAR update wouldn't be complete without under-the-hood enhancements. Topping the list is the ability to hotswap Audio and MIDI Devices, including Control Surfaces, without restarting SONAR. Audio Interfaces, MIDI Interfaces, and Control Surfaces can now be disconnected and reconnected again while SONAR is running. This is particularly useful for plugging in a new MIDI controller while inspired to lay down a piano part, or in the event an audio interface needs to be power-cycled. SONAR 8.5 software also includes optimizations and stability improvements for recording audio, and while looping.
Cakewalk has been, and will continue to be, a proponent of open standards in software and hardware. SONAR 8.5 brings a variety of compatibility improvements for VST plug-ins, as well as for Cakewalk's BitBridge technology, which hosts classic 32-bit "x86" VST plug-ins in a 64-bit "x64" environment. SONAR Producer customers can take advantage of the new BitBridgeXR, which automatically hosts up to 32 BitBridge servers, each capable of using up to 4GB of RAM, for a total of 128GB! And last, but not least, SONAR now provides native REX loop support, via the Track View, updated Media Browser, and new Matrix View.
Windows 7 Ready
SONAR 8.5 is ready for Windows 7 right from the get-go. Cakewalk has been testing SONAR 8.5 with Windows 7 Beta and Release Candidates, and is pleased to recommended Windows 7 as a platform for SONAR 8.5. Additionally, SONAR 8.5 was evaluated at an independent Microsoft application compatibility lab and officially passed the rigorous Win7 compatibility testing.
VX-64 Vocal Strip
VX-64 Vocal Strip is a seven-stage processor designed specifically for shaping and sculpting incredible sounding vocal tracks. Each of the VX-64's stages have been fine-tuned to be vocal-specific, taking the work out of loading an entire chain of vocal processors. The VX-64 features a new Cakewalk technology that employs phase-coherent, multi-band saturation to avoid unwanted distortion; unique filtering to avoid harsh artifacts at extreme high and low frequencies; and an auto-leveling circuit that prevents the tube saturation from sounding too harsh when high-gain transients are processed by it. VX-64 also employs a new de-essing algorithm designed with Cakewalk's LP64 linear phase effect filtering technology to remove sibilance without creating any frequency smearing.
The VX-64 includes 64 go-to presets and click and drag reordering of processing stage routing, making it fast and easy to get high-quality vocals in seconds.
Its processing stages include:
•Input: simulates a tube pre amp
•De-esser: removes sibilance without smearing
•Compander: vocal compressor with an expander to reduce unwanted background noise
•Tube EQ: for adding character, ranging from subtle warmth to intense heat to the vocal
•Doubler: advanced doubling effect providing the quality of actual re-tracking
•Delay: preset delays useful for vocal tracks with tempo sync
•Output: provide saturation control with a built in soft-clipping filter
•Order of processor stages is user definable with click & drag reordering
•Input: simulates a tube pre amp
PX-64 Percussion Strip is a seven-stage processor designed specifically for use with drums and percussion. Like the VX-64 Vocal Strip, the PX-64 Percussion Strip employs Cakewalk's exclusive tube saturation algorithms with unique filtering and auto-leveling circuitry technologies. Combining transient shaping, compression, expansion, equalization, delay, and tube saturation in one convenient plug-in, the PX-64 Percussion Strip includes 70 go-to presets along with click & drag reordering of processing stage routing, making it fast and easy to enhance any drum or percussion track in seconds.
The PX-64 Percussion Strip signal flow is divided into seven stages, including five effect processer modules that can be re ordered with a simple click & drag operation. Processing stages include:
•Input: The Input/Gain stage simulates a tube pre amp
•Transient Shaper: lets you shape the audio signal's attack phase independently of the decay/sustain phase
•Compressor: Balance the overall signal level and limit the dynamic range
•Expander: Control the dynamic range of the audio signal by using the expander to reduce levels that fall beneath a specified threshold
•Contour EQ: 4-band EQ optimized for drums and percussion usage
•Delay: Adds space and rhythm to the signal; tempo sync to host option
•Output: Output gain stage and specialized saturation control containing a built in soft-clipping filter
Session Drummer 3: drum and percussion sequencer
Dimension Pro: wavetable based synthesizer
TruePianos Amber: Award-winning piano model designed to transparently integrate with your hands and playing style for even more realism
Z3TA+: Waveshaping synthesizer
Rapture LE: LE version based on the award-winning Rapture wavetable synthesizer
Roland TTS-1: 16-channel multi-timbral GM2 instrument
DropZone: Drag-and-drop sampler, REX editor
Pentagon I: warm, retro analog sounds
PSYN II: subtractive synthesizer
Roland GrooveSynth: groove synthesizer
RXP: REX loops/sample player
SFZ: SFZ SoundFont sampler
Beatscape: 16-pad looping/performance instrument
Cyclone: 16-pad groove sampler
DreamStation DXi: Classic Analog modeling
- Matrix View provides simple and flexible cell-based, non-linear audio, and MIDI arranging with live triggering capability
- Step Sequencer 2.0 provides the powerful step sequencing capability
- Session Drummer 3 for easy-and-fast creation of drum tracks with stellar sounding kits and patterns from top sound designers and drummers
- AudioSnap 2.0 audio quantizing and time-shifting technology with new look and refinements to all the core controls, significantly improving workflow, plus improved offline rendering
- Integrated Arpeggiator on each track, which allows you to trigger live or from recorded material with in-depth control over all arp parameters Includes hundreds of presets
- Media Browser: the new hub for SONAR content supports multiple formats so you can access all your loops, grooves, and MIDI patterns; features presets for quick access
- PX-64 Percussion Strip: seven-stage processor designed specifically for use with drums and percussion
- VX-64 Vocal Strip: seven-stage processor optimized for shaping and sculpting vocal tracks
- Windows 7 tested, ready, and recommended for use
- Engine optimizations and stability improvements for recording audio, and while looping
- Hotswap audio and MIDI devices, including control surfaces, without restarting SONAR
- VST plug-ins compatibility improvements
- Native REX loop support featured in Track View, updated Media Browser, and new Matrix View
- BitBridgeXR allows you to run 32-bit plug-ins in 64-bit environments and now access up to 128GB of RAM
- Cell-based, non-linear arrangement view, and live triggering
- Sync to SONAR Transport / Track View
- One-step capture Matrix "performances" to Track View for more precise editing
- Drag-drop any audio (multiple files at once) and MIDI content from the Track View or the Media Browser into the Matrix
- Four triggering modes:
- Triggering resolutions include Measure, Beat, 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32
- Per-cell alternate triggering resolution option
- Cells can retrigger while playing, or be toggled off
- Trigger one cell per-row, or an entire column of cells at a time
- Global and Per-Cell modes for Looping and Latching
- Cells can be set to always trigger from the beginning, or offset from the
- SONAR Now Time
- Each row in the Matrix routes to a track in SONAR
- Multiple rows can be routed to the same track
- Each row has mute and exclusive solo buttons
- Cells can be easily MIDI-learned for ultimate control and playability
- Learnable MIDI Modifiers to change cell trigger behaviors on-the-fly
- Global MIDI channel selector
- Enhanced SONAR integration: now every virtual instrument in SONAR includes a Step Sequencer button to easily launch and configure a Step Sequencer to work with that instrument
- Add Flam to any step by simply double clicking it (just double click any step to activate flam, then use the flam time knob to adjust its timing)
- Quickly change the output port and channel of any row to match anything in SONAR's Synth Rack to trigger sounds across multiple instruments
- Easily load/save patterns from the Options button
- Drag & drop patterns from the SONAR Media Browser
- New Shortcuts to automatically fill a lane with every 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 steps
- Redesigned Controller Pane allows simple and powerful per row articulations and controls, including Volume, Pan, Pitch Bend, Mod Wheel, Portamento, Per step parameter controls for Velocity, Time Offset, Probability, Lane-based MIDI articulations, Filter Cut, and Filter Res
- Step Recording
- Velocity Multiplier
- Fit to Quarters capabilities
- Amazing interactive photorealistic drum kit page to load kits, programs, patterns, and tweak mappings
- Dedicated Mixer page for fine-tuning your drum kits with enhanced control over mix, 12 channels each with volume, pan, width, and tuning controls.
- MIX & MATCH kit components: All kit pieces are broken down into mix and match-able components for ultimate flexibility with 12 components per kit Ships with well over 200 different drum sounds across 20+ kits.
- Drag-and-drop drum components: It's as easy as dragging any WAV or ogg file from the desktop onto a pad
- Provides unlimited creative possibilities in the creation of custom kits using any sound source
- Comprehensive collection of presets and MIDI-based loop files providing that creative jump-start
- Flexible MIDI pattern playback.
- 12 pads/12 outputs
- 10 new super high-quality kits from renowned Sonic Reality ready to play in any track along with
- 1 coupon for a free download of one Ocean Way Drums drum kit.
- 2 ultra polished kits from Steven Slate Drums, fine tuned and tweaked to sound amazing in any mix
- Newly re-mapped for Session Drummer 3 are the genre-defining original samples of the classic Roland TR-707, TR-727, TR-808, and TR-909 drum synthesizers, along with kits from Sequential Circuits Drumtraks and Linn Electronics LinnDrum
- 2 Organic kits with hundreds of MIDI patterns from Smart Loops.
- Over 700 new MIDI patterns from Steven Slate Drums and Groove Monkee
- Over 2.5GB of Drum sample content
- AudioSnap Palette presents all AudioSnap commands and options in one easy-to-read toolbar graphic
- Simplified transient marker appearance reduces clutter and enhancing focus on relevant information
- Transient Tool allows for dragging or snapping of transients without having to worry about inadvertently moving an audio clip; lasso selection for grouping transient edit
- The Merge and Lock transients command in the Transient Tool context menu is great for editing, stretching, and quantizing multi-track drums while keeping your audio in phase
- Grouped proportional stretching allows for the easy correction of fluctuations in a performance's tempo without losing feel
- Tab to Transients is always available from Track View and Piano Roll View; follows Audio Clips, Groove Clips, Step Sequencer Clips, and MIDI Groove Clip
- Tempo detection, tempo mapping, and tempo syncing audio
- New tempo detection algorithm auto-detects the tempo of all audio in SONAR and the Clip Tempo Map feature allows for easy manual tempo mapping of non-rhythmic, non-constant or atypical audio
- Enhanced fidelity with Radius Mix Advanced mode
- Convenient Freeze and Archive buttons on each track
- Updated Insert Send Assistant, with matching track gain/pan while creating sends
- Solo Button on all effects plug-in windows, to quickly solo and focus on the track being processed
- New Track View grid lines options to present grid lines behind or in front of clips
- New option to automatically lock scrolling during playback when initiating an edit
- The Now Time cursor can be dragged to a new position during playback
- DC Offset meter in the Cakewalk Analyst plug-in
- SONAR 8.5 now includes the Project5 "Half-Rack" Tempo-Sync'd Effects, including the Alias Factor Bit Decimator, Classic Phaser, Compressor/Gate, HF Exciter, Mod Filter, Chorus/Flanger, Para-Q, StudioVerb II, and Tempo Delay
- Installation has been simplified with an easy one-click install option that accepts all default settings and locations and installs the entire SONAR application, as well as plug-ins and content data
- Operating System: Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, or Windows 7
- Minimum: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz [EMT64] or AMD Athlon XP 2800+ or higher
- Recommended: Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz or AMD Phenom Quad Core 9750 2.4GHz
- Minimum: 1GB
- Recommended: 4GB or higher
- Minimum: 1024 x 768, 16-bit color
- Recommended: 1280 x 960, 24-bit color or higher
- Minimum: 200MB (Minimal Installation) or higher
- Recommended: 4GB (Full Installation)
- Minimum: Any
- Recommended: EIDE / Ultra DMA (7200RPM) or SATA
- Windows-compatible MIDI Interface: required to connect external MIDI devices
- Windows-compatible Audio Interface: required for audio playback
- Media Drive: Dual Layer DVD-ROM, DVD+/- R, or DVD+/-RW for installation/ CD-R OR CD-RW capability required for CD audio disc burning, audio playback
- Webserver Access:
- Minimum: None
- Recommended: Cakewalk Publisher requires you to have available web server space with FTP access privileges. An internet connection is require for music uploading. A broadband connection is recommended.