- Write a Review
Active ribbon microphone with voice/music switch.
From direct RCA lineage, the Cloud 44-A microphone reawakens the spirit of the classic RCA Type 44 ribbon mic for today's applications. Internally within the Cloud 44-A, the ribbon itself remains unchanged, handcrafted to exact specifications first prescribed in the 1930s by RCA's Harry F. Olson. Everything else has been engineered anew, however, using 21st century improvements transcending the capabilities of Olson's time. Utilizing Cloud's award-winning, patent pending "Cloudlifter" circuitry with its unique features and ultra-clean characteristics, the 44-A is an active ribbon mic with personality from the past, plus all the strength and clarity required for today's most demanding tasks.
Voice or Music?
The Cloud 44-A is the first and only active ribbon microphone with switchable Voice/Music response curves, reminiscent of the early RCA mics, for controlling proximity effect. The patent pending technology, a switchable interface that provides dual frequency response voicing in an active ribbon microphone, is very useful in a wide variety of scenarios. Voiceover artists and singers can use the "Voice" setting to instantly reduce the large bass proximity effect associated with being close to the microphone. The "voice" position can also be useful for reducing intense low frequencies when using the mic to capture an instrument at close range, or where they may be rumble or vibration noise present. Of course, some vocalists may prefer the larger bass response at close proximity. The microphone's switchable interface affords the user two distinct voices, inviting the special sound of a ribbon microphone to be used on a variety of new sources that may not have otherwise been plausible due to proximity effect.
The Cloud 44-A requires phantom power and has an output level compatible with virtually any modern preamp. Included is the Cloud U1 shockmount, a beautiful handcrafted wooden box and a microfiber mic cover, designed to properly store and clean the microphone.
- Figure 8 polar pattern, excellent side null rejection
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to above 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 138 + dB SPL above 1 kHz
- Output Sensitivity: -27 dBv/Pa
- Phantom Powered "Cloudlifter" Class A, Discrete Circuity
- Ribbon element dimensions: .19 inches wide, 2.35 inches long, 1.8 microns thick
- Swivel mount offers 180 degree range of motion
- Internally shock mounted
- Includes external Cloud U1 shockmount
- Built in XLR connector
- 2 year ribbon warranty
- Free limited lifetime warranty on all other parts, with registration
- Handmade entirely in the USA
New school technology for old school sound. Order yours today!
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
Term for Used Gear begins on the expiration of the store return policy.