- J57072 000000000 J57072000000000
Golden Age Project Comp-554 500 Series Vintage Style Compressor
- Write a Review
The COMP-554 is a one-channel vintage style compressor for the 500-format. The signal path uses only discrete components like resistors, capacitors a...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
Vintage-style 500 compressor.
The COMP-554 is a one-channel vintage style compressor for the 500-format. The signal path uses only discrete components like resistors, capacitors and transistors. The input and output are transformer balanced and the unit also uses a third interstage transformer.
This is the way audio components were built before integrated circuits became available. IC's are small and cheap and they are widely used in most modern designs. It is clear though that audio components built with modern technology don’t always provide the best sound quality or character the modern user desires.
On the contrary, the subjective sound quality delivered by vintage equipment is often preferred over the one delivered by modern units. This is the reason why so many vintage audio components are cloned and produced again and also why the vintage originals are often very expensive on the second hand market.
The class-A circuit used in the COMP-554 is similar to the one in the classic 2254 compressor that was designed in 1969. It quickly became a legend due to its warm, smooth, sweet and musical character of sound.
- Transformer balanced input and output
- Flexible control range for threshold, ratio, attack and recovery
- All controls except the gain make-up one are stepped
- Three selectable sidechain filter frequencies
- Three flexible sidesidechainchain options: Internal, Insert and External
- The external sidechain I/O is electronically balanced @ 4dBu and appears on the right slot rack connections
- Separate switches for hardwire bypass and compression out
- Two insert connectors for inserting the EQ-573 in the main audio and/or sidechain signal path
- Meter selectable for output (two reference levels, +4 and +12 dBu) and gain reduction
- Three position Air EQ switch, Flat, +3 or +6 dB @ 30 kHz
- Two position output termination switch for different tones
Compression the way is was meant to sound.
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.