More Info About Free 2-Day Standard Ground ShippingClose Window
- J24321 000000000 J24321000000000
Golden Age Project Pre-73 MKIII Mic Preamp
- Write a Review
The PRE-73 MKIII is a one-channel vintage style microphone-, line and instrument preamplifier. The signal path uses only discrete components like res...Click To Read More About This Product
Earn up to 3,040 (1x) in bonus points today for this item!
6-Month*** financing available
Single-channel vintage-style preamp.
The PRE-73 MKIII is a one-channel vintage style microphone-, line and instrument preamplifier. The signal path uses only discrete components like resistors, capacitors and transistors. The input and output is transformer balanced, using two different transformers, each one optimized for its purpose. This is the way audio components were built before integrated circuits became available.
The circuit used in the PRE-73 MKIII is similar to the preamp section in the classical 1073 module with a corresponding sound character that is warm, punchy, sweet and musical. These classic characteristics have been heard on countless recordings through the years and it is a versatile sound that works very well on most sound sources and in most genres. The essence of this sound is now available at a surprisingly low cost, making it available to nearly everyone.
- Vintage Style electronics, no intergrated circuits in the signal path
- Enough gain to handle passive ribbon mics with quiet sound sources
- GAIN/LINE mode switch, gain is reduced by 30 dB in LINE mode
- Selectable two position high frequency AIR boost eq, 3 or 6 dB @ 30 kHz
- Selectable 6 dB/octave two frequency high pass filter
- Tantalum capacitors in the signal path
- Switchable impedance in MIC mode
- Switchable phantom power and absolute phase
- A high-impedance instrument input
- A simple but effective 4-step LED output level meter
- Combo XLR/TRS input jack and separate output XLR and TRS jacks
- Insert jack for inserting EQs and other units
- The pcb is prepared for the Carnhill input transformer
- External power supply to avoid interaction with the audio circuits and transformers
- A solid build quality that will last many years of normal use
Call or click to order today!
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Clear Sound
- Easy To Use
- Professional Functions
- Amateur Recording
- Home Studio
- Professional Recording
Comments about Golden Age Project Pre-73 MKIII Mic Preamp:
This is an excellent pre-amp for mic or line level signals. I've used it only a short time with a few different mics, but it gives a much more clear and detailed performance than my Mackie 32-8 stock console pre's and the Presonus BlueTube pre I have. This even brought out detail from an SM-57 micing a guitar cab -- detail from an SM57! It also helped with vocals using a 414-ULS and 414-XLS and is great for DI'ing bass guitar.
Yes, the ubiquitous "warmth" is there, but also real clarity in the mids and bright, but not overbearing highs. It's not a muddy warmth - the low end is round, but clear. Plus, being a transformer design it pushes nicely into mild distortion for rock vocals, or that little extra distortion on bass while also being able to be sweet and clear just by turning down your gain.
The insert point is a really nice touch for those of us lacking a patch panel and the two roll-off choices are a nice touch. The only thing negative I can say is the output meter is not very accurate, but with the meters on other gear you're going into, it's not a big deal. Well worth the money and I'm seriously considering a second.