- Product 241338
HHB MDP500 PortaDisc Portable Minidisc Field Recorder
- Write a Review
The HHB PortaDisc MDP500 is a compact, portable MiniDisc recorder, designed and engineered without compromise to handle the most demanding field reco...Click To Read More About This Product
We're sorry-this item is unavailable.
Find a similar product below or contact our experts for a recommendation of great alternatives. Call us at 800-449-9128.Customers Also Viewed:
Gear for the modern-day Lomax.
The HHB PortaDisc MDP500 is a compact, portable MiniDisc recorder, designed and engineered without compromise to handle the most demanding field recording applications. The PortaDisc recorder is built on a rigid steel chassis and based around a rugged, professional MD drive. The HHB MDP500 combines advanced sound quality with a full complement of professional features. The PortaDisc delivers comprehensive connectivity and flexible powering options to create one of the world's most advanced professional portable MiniDisc recorders.
The PortaDisc has been developed in close consultation with leading sound recordists and ENG professionals, ensuring a recorder that handles and operates impeccably in the field.
Advanced portable minidisc recorder
It's no surprise that MiniDisc has become such a popular format with journalists, broadcasters and sound recordists. Inexpensive, durable and easy to handle, MD delivers up to 80 minutes of stereo digital recording (160 minutes of mono) with the additional benefits of disc/track naming and basic editing facilities.
Designed to optimise these advantages for field recording applications, the HHB PortaDisc MDP500 is currently the most advanced portable MiniDisc recorder available.
Exceptional sound quality
Any early doubts about the sound quality of MiniDisc are immediately dispelled by the PortaDisc. Its advanced V4.5 ATRAC recording algorithm combines with high performance mic preamps, precision DACs and on-board limiters and bass roll-off to deliver recordings of exceptional quality.
Dependable, professional MD drive
Similar attention has been paid to build quality. For maximum reliability, the PortaDisc uses a dependable, professional MD drive - not a low-cost consumer device, and the recorder is housed in a tough, 1.2mm steel chassis with transport keys and function buttons protected by a durable rubber moulding.
Drawing on the experience gained during development of the Portadat portable DAT recorder, HHB has, once again, sought the advice of leading sound recordists and ENG professionals to ensure that the PortaDisc handles perfectly in the field. Transport keys, record level controls and all major functions are ideally located for quick, easy access and menu structures are straightforward and logical.
Record level controls are lockable, the phone level control retracts and a Keyhold facility prohibits accidental mis-operation during recording. The main LCD display is large and clear with switchable illumination and, critically, can be viewed from a wide range of angles. 19 segment metering is provided with switchable peak hold and a margin indicator accurate in 1dB steps to -60dB. Headphone monitoring is available in Stereo, Mono-L, Mono-R and Both modes, with an additional, mono internal speaker provided for non-critical monitoring. In the event of a microphone or cable failure, the PortaDisc even includes an on-board microphone for back-up.
6 second pre-record buffer means you'll never miss a take
To ensure consistent, glitch-free recording on the move, the PortaDisc features a 40 second memory buffer. To ensure that the operator never misses a take, a pre-buffer continuously records the 6 seconds of audio before the Record switch is pressed while an Auto Start feature with variable threshold makes the PORTADISC ideal for use in noise monitoring applications.
Configured for the way you work
Using a simple, intuitive menu system, the PortaDisc user can configure and store up to 5 User Set-Ups selecting input sources, mic limiting / bass roll-off, phantom power, headphone monitoring formats, time / date display formats, auto track increment and threshold levels, etc.
Recording from digital sources is easy with a built-in sample rate converter accepting 32 and 48kHz signals and auto sync recording with CD and DAT IDs converted automatically to MD tracks.
In addition to disc and track naming, the PortaDisc also provides basic editing allowing the user to go directly to a particular point in a track, combine two tracks together to make one, divide one track into two, move tracks and erase tracks. Tracks can be numbered manually during recording with the Mark button, or automatically with the threshold level variable from 30dB to 60dB in 10dB increments. Tracks can be accessed directly using the AMS Forward and Back keys.
- Designed in consultation with leading sound recordists and ENG professionals for use in demanding field recording applications
- Rugged, dependable professional MD drive - not a consumer mechanism!
- Flexible powering options - NiMH rechargeable batteries, standard AA alkaline batteries, 12-15V DC and AC mains power
- Advanced ATRAC 4.5 recording algorithm and 40 second memory buffer deliver high quality, glitch-free recordings
- First and only MD portable to feature a USB (Universal Serial Bus) interface for transferring audio to and from Windows-based PCs and Macintosh computers
- Comprehensive connectivity - high quality balanced XLR mic inputs with switchable 48V phantom power, limiters and bass roll-off, analogue line outputs, coaxial and optical digital I/Os, parallel remote control
- Large illuminated LCD display with wide viewing angle
- 6 second pre-record buffer
- Intuitive menu system with 5 User Set-Ups
- On-board editing
- Built-in SRC with digital sync recording
- Supplied accessories include soft case, carrying strap, NiMH battery caddy, spare battery caddy, AC adaptor/charger and HHB MD80
Order today and get out in the field!
MDP500 PortaDisc Portable Minidisc Field Recorder
- Format: MiniDisc digital audio system
- Disc: MiniDisc
- Recording method: Magnetic field variation overwrite
- Reading method: Non contact optical pickup
- Laser: Semiconductor laser (wavelength 780mm)
- Record/playback time: Stereo mode; 80 minutes max, Mono mode; 160 minutes max
- Rotation speed: Approx 400-900rpm Constant Linear Velocity
- Sampling frequency (with internal SRC to cater for 32kHz and 48kHz source signals): 44.1kHz
- Coding: ATRAC Ver. 4.5
- Modulation system: EFM (Eight to Fourteen Modulation)
- Channels: 2
- Power requirement: 12-15V DC
- Power consumption: Approx 4.5W record, 3.5W playback
- Weight with batteries: 2.0kg / 4lbs 7oz
- Weight without batteries: 1.8kg / 3lbs 15oz
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 225 x 57 x 180mm / 10 x 2.2 x 7.1 ins
- Internal speaker power: 250mW
- Frequency response: 10Hz to 20kHz, - 0.5dB
- Wow & flutter: Below measurable limits
- Signal to noise ratio (playback): > 89dB bandwidth 22Hz to 22kHz
- Dynamic range (line input): > 96dB
- Microphone EIN: > 122dB A-weighted
- THD & N @ 1kHz ref 0dBFS: < 0.02% bandwidth 22Hz to 22kHz
- Analogue connectors
- Connector type: XLR 3: Pin 2 + Hot; pin 3 - Cold; Pin 1 Ground
- Mic input level for 0dBFS (level control at max) : -52dBu
- Line input level for 0dBFS (level control at max) : -2dBu
- Phantom power (mic inputs): +48V, 7mA
- Unbalanced Line Output
- Connector type: RCA phono
- Output level: +8dBu @ 0dBFS into >10k Ohms
- Headphone output
- Connector type: 1/4" stereo jack
- Impedance: 32 Ohms
- Output power: 15mW
- Remote control: Parallel
- Connector type: 8-pin mini DIN
- Digital connectors
- Coaxial digital input: SPDIF
- Connector type: RCA phono
- Input impedance: 75 Ohms
- Input level: 0.5V p-p
- Optical digital input: SPDIF
- Connector type: TOSlink
- Coaxial digital output: SPDIF
- Connector type: RCA phono
- Output impedance: 75 Ohms
- Output level: 0.5V p-p
- Optical digital output: SPDIF
- Connector type: TOSlink
- USB (Ver 1) input / output connector: Type B
- Interface: Windows 98/2000 XP, Mac OS