- J01526 000000000 J01526000000000
METRIC HALO ULN-2 2d +DSP w/2 Jensen Firewire Digital Audio Interface
- Write a Review
Since its release in 2002, the ULN-2 has enjoyed a legendary reputation for its pristine, wire-like gain, and has established itself as one of the be...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
Fully expanded FW interface.
Since its release in 2002, the ULN-2 has enjoyed a legendary reputation for its pristine, wire-like gain, and has established itself as one of the best values in the professional audio industry. This particular model features the +DSP option, as well as two Jensen Mods (described later).
The ULN-2 possesses virtually every characteristic that is coveted in a Mic Preamp: exceptionally low noise at all gains, exceptionally high gain, excellent common mode and RFI rejection, incredibly flat frequency response, and ultra-low distortion. It simply increases the level of what you put into it without having to consider the nature of the source: Dynamic Mics, Phantom Powered Mics, Ribbon Mics, Instrument or line level signals are all handled with equal ease and quality.
So why change it? The ULN-2 is an incredibly good Mic Pre, but sometimes you want something that isn't quite "so pristine." It is well known that a certain amount of low-order harmonic distortion has a way of adding "depth" and "sheen" to everything - which explains the high regard for classic transformer coupled preamps.
Enter the Jensen Option. With the transformer option installed, the ULN-2 acquires that classic character. A few years ago, we fitted a prototype ULN-2 with a pair Jensen JT16-A's just for fun. We found that there were some very nice benefits to transformer coupling the input stage of the ULN-2. The Transformers impart a more "glossy", "smoothed" sound than the capacitively coupled ULN-2, which simply faithfully passes the source. Sonically, it's kind of like the difference between images shot on film and images shot in HD.
A second benefit is that the transformer completely electrically isolates the preamp from the source - raising the common mode rejection above its already excellent performance, and providing a measure of confidence when dealing with the unknowns of location sound.
The ULN-2 Expanded is the result of a dream to create a piece of audio gear that provides unbelievable audio quality while at the same time offering a degree of mobility and convenience that until very recently was simply not possible. The successful integration of world-class analog stages, excellent A/D/A conversion, and the amazing digital mixing, routing and FireWire connectivity that has already made the Mobile I/O line famous, places the ULN-2 in a unique position among computer audio interfaces.
The ULN-2 Expanded is a portable, high-quality, modular FireWire-based multi-format audio converter, interface, and processor for professional audio applications. The ULN-2 is equipped with two balanced analog inputs on Neutrik combo connectors, two channels of Digital I/O (AES/EBU and S/PDIF), eight channels of ADAT optical I/O with switchable TOSLINK support, two balanced analog outputs (1/4" TRS), two balanced monitor outputs for connecting directly to power amps and self powered monitors, as well as wordclock in/out and 2 IEEE 1394 FireWire connectors that support 400 Mbs operation.
The Best Mic Pres Available
ULN stands for Ultra Low Noise and the Mic Pres in ULN-2 live up to the name. Providing massive gain (up to 72 dB) with an EIN of -130.5 dBu, fantastic detail and an ultra-fast slew rate, the ULN Mic pres are up to the most demanding recording situations you can throw at them. And of course it has the same FireWire connectivity, amazing A/D/A converters and powerful onboard DSP as its older sibling - the Mobile I/O 2882.
Balanced Analog Sends and Returns
The ULN-2 also features balanced analog inserts for each input. This lets you use ULN-2 as a standalone analog Mic pre/direct box; use the sends as an active splitter to drive a backup recorder, or even patch in analog dynamics processing between the Mic Pre and the integrated 24bit/96kHz A/D converters.
- ULN-2 + 2 Jensen = Smoother
- Boutique-Quality Mic Pres
- ULN = Ultra Low Noise Mic Pres
- Jensen Transformers add classic depth & sheen when you dont want something quite so pristine
- Unleash the processing power in your ULN-2 Expanded interface with +DSP!
- Add 100+ Plug-ins and the ability to create your own secret weapon processors that can be inserted on demand, with Metric Halos +DSP License for Mobile I/O.
- One +DSP License extends to all 2d Expanded interfaces attached to your system, while the boxes are attached.
Order now and make your I/O scheme future-proof.
- Any Mac that supports Mac OS X
- At least one FireWire port; one port will support 3 interfaces at 44.1 - 48 kHz, and 2 interfaces at 88.2 - 192 kHz
- Universal Binary (native support for PPC and Intel)
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 or newer required
- OHCI compliant PC Card, PCI card, ExpressCard or PCIe card
- Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter, Apple Thunderbolt display, Sonnet Technology Thunderbolt to Expresscard adapter with FireWire Pro 800 ExpressCard/34
- : All CoreAudio compliant software is compatible with Mobile I/O, including:
- Digital Performer
- PreMaster CD
- Pro Tools
- Many more
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.