- Product 720085
MOTU 896mk3 Firewire Audio Interface
- Write a Review
Turn your computer into a professional digital audio workstation with integrated DSP-driven mixing, EQ, compression, and reverb with the MOTU 896mk3 ...Click To Read More About This Product
We're sorry-this item is unavailable.
Delivers high-end performance, superb sound, and innovative features.
Turn your computer into a professional digital audio workstation with integrated DSP-driven mixing, EQ, compression, and reverb with the MOTU 896mk3 FireWire Interface.
It provides 8 channels of pristine 24-bit, 192kHz analog recording and playback, combined with 16 channels of optical digital I/O, stereo AES/EBU, S/PDIF, and separate analog main outs. Expand your system by connecting the 8pre mic input expander or other MOTU audio interfaces.
The 896mk3 is equally well-suited for studio and stage, with or without a computer. As an audio interface or standalone mixer, the 896mk3 provides 28 separate inputs and 32 separate outputs, including dedicated main outs on XLRs and two front panel headphone outs.
Connect all of your studio gear, including microphones, guitars, synths, keyboards, drum machines, and even effects processors. Record, monitor, route, and process all of these live inputs using the professional onboard CueMix FX digital mixer—with no latency and no processor strain on your computer. Apply hardware DSP-driven effects processing to inputs, outputs, and buses independent of your host computer. Add "Classic Reverb" with lengths up to 60 seconds. Further sculpt your sound with 7-band parametric EQ featuring filter types carefully modeled after British analog console EQs. Choose between two forms of compression: a conventional compressor and the Leveler, an accurate model of the legendary LA-2A optical compressor that provides vintage musical automatic gain control.
When recording from the mic/guitar inputs, the 896mk3 FireWire interface has signal overload protection that gives you an extra 12dB of headroom above zero with no clipping or harsh artifacts.
After programming the onboard mixing in the studio, unplug the MOTU 896mk3 from the computer and take it on the road for operation as a standalone mixer with effects. All mixing and effects parameters are adjustable using the front panel backlit LCD.
The 896mk3 provides cross-platform compatibility with Mac and Windows and all of your favorite audio software and host-based effects via WDM/ASIO/Core Audio drivers. Or you can use the included AudioDesk workstation software for Mac, with 24-bit recording and editing and 32-bit mixing, processing, and mastering.
- CueMix FX - flexible 28 input/16 bus mixer with onboard DSP effects, including reverb with sends/returns, plus EQ and compression on every input and output
- 28 inputs/32 outputs (at 44.1/48kHz)—all mic inputs, AES/EBU I/O, S/PDIF I/O, headphone out, and main outs are handled as separate channels
- Front-panel control - access any setting in your entire 896mk3 mix directly from the front panel
- Standalone operation - program your mixes at the studio and then bring the 896mk3 to your gig—no computer needed
- Backlit LCD and front-panel controls
- Multiple CueMix FX mixes
- Eight rear-panel combo jacks provide 1/4" or XLR mic input with phantom power, pad, and plenty of gain
- Clip protection - input limiter prevents digital clipping and distortion from overloaded signal levels up to +12dB over zero
- Eight 24-bit 192kHz analog inputs and outputs on XLR jacks
- Flexible optical I/O - 16 channels of ADAT lightpipe, 8 channels of SMUX (96kHz), or two pairs of stereo TOSLink; mix and match formats between the two banks
- Expandable - add additional interfaces for more I/O as necessary
- Separate XLR main outs and front-panel headphone jacks, each with independent volume control
- Stereo 24-bit 96kHz AES/EBU in/out
- Stereo 24-bit 96kHz S/PDIF in/out
- Word clock in and out
- Includes drivers for Mac and PC, including ASIO, WDM, Wave, GSIF, Core Audio, and Core MIDI. Supports all popular Macintosh and Windows audio software
- 100% compatible with all host-based effects processing in today's popular audio programs
- Includes AudioDesk full-featured sample-accurate workstation software for Macintosh with recording, editing, mixing, real-time 32-bit effects processing, and sample-accurate sync
- Plug-and-play operation with Mac or PC via FireWire
- Front-panel volume control for monitoring—Stereo, Quad, 6.1, 7.1 and user-defined surround monitoring setups available
- Two front-panel headphone jacks with independent volume controls
- Comprehensive front-panel metering for all analog and digital audio I/O
- Dedicated front-panel clock status LEDs
Reviewed by 4 customers
Displaying reviews 1-4
The Motu 896mk3 was truely a great pruduct while it was working properly. After 1 year of use only in the studio,the phantom power stop working and input 3 stop receiving signaland worked when it wanted. I called Tech support and the phone is always busy. When you speak to customer service they say that theres nothing they can do but for you to call the tech line. Everything works and sounds excellent until it starts to fail.
This is a great product. The mic preamps sound amazing. The included effects sound awesome, and have so many ways to tweak them for what your looking for. Theirs ins and outs for everything you'd need to hook up, and just so many little things that make this product easy to use, and program the way you want it to work. The only complaint is Motu's tech support. They are horrible. They havent responded to my emails, and when I finally talked to someone on the phone they provided no help for my problem and were not friendly at all.
I've had nothing but trouble with this interface since I bought it just over a month ago. The firewire driver that came with the hardware would not install on my brand new Macbook pro. The only way to contact Tech Support was via their website. I gave them all the details of my problem but they never replied. I tried calling but only ever got the busy tone. After a week of trying, I called the receptionist who was completely unhelpful. It took another month to finally sort out the simple problem, which was that I needed to download a new version of the driver, which they finally posted on their website about a month after I first contacted them. Once I got the interface working, I managed to use it for 3 live shows before it suddenly stopped working during a show I was playing tonight (in front of an audience of 600 people). I don't recommend this machine to anyone.
I am very happy I ended up with this audio interface. I purchased first a focusrite 56 , this 896mk3 BLOWS ITS DOORS OFF! Thers is no compairing anything else in the price range.. My recordings are TWICE as loud,,. plus they sound crisper, cleaner and professional. Even the songs on Itunes sound better. I had to lower my powered monitor volume 40% to accomidate the power this thing puts out(thats a good thing). Dont waist your time trying something else like I did, BUY THIS ONE. It had one issue where it made an occational quite glitchy sound , but that was easily solved by installing a firewire card intead of using the stock firewire port in the back of my outdated computer.