- 580182 000000000 580182000000000
MOTU Traveler-mk3 FireWire Audio Interface
- Write a Review
Engineered for high-end mobile recording applications, the Traveler-mk3 from MOTU delivers four very high quality mic inputs, bus power, optional bat...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
Portable bus-powered audio interface with on-board effects and mixing.
Engineered for high-end mobile recording applications, the Traveler-mk3 from MOTU delivers four very high quality mic inputs, bus power, optional battery power, and DSP-driven mixing and effects processing. The rackmountable Traveler-mk3 interface gives you 8 channels of 192kHz analog recording and playback combined with 20 channels of digital I/O in ADAT optical, AES/EBU, and S/PDIF formats. Expand your system by connecting additional MOTU FireWire audio interfaces or through the 8pre mic input expander.
The MOTU Traveler-mk3 is equally suited for studio, stage, and remote locations, with or without a computer. As an interface or standalone mixer, the Traveler-mk3 provides 28 separate inputs and 30 separate outputs, including 4 XLR/1/4" combo mic/instrument analog inputs equipped with pre-amps, individual 48V phantom power switches, and Digital Precision Trim controls conveniently adjusted from the front panel or via the included CueMix FX software.
This handy interface makes it possible to connect all of your audio instruments and gear, including mics, guitars, synths, keyboards, drum machines, and even effects processors. Record, monitor, route, and process all of these live inputs using the professional on-board CueMix FX digital mixer with no latency and no processor strain on your computer. Apply hardware DSP-driven effects processing to inputs, outputs, and busses independent of your host computer.
The Traveler-mk3 audio interface lets you add Classic Reverb with lengths up to 60 seconds. Further sculpt your sound with its 7-band parametric EQ featuring filter types carefully modeled after British analog console EQs. Choose between two forms of compression: a conventional compressor, and the Leveler, an accurate model of the legendary LA-2A optical compressor that provides vintage, musical automatic gain control. When recording from the 4 mic/guitar inputs, the Traveler-mk3's signal overload protection gives you an extra 12dB of headroom above zero with no clipping or harsh artifacts.
After programming the on-board mixing in the studio, unplug the MOTU Traveler-mk3, remove the rack brackets, and take it on the road for operation as a portable, bus-powered audio interface for a laptop, or battery-operated standalone mixer with effects. The Traveler slides easily into your backpack and fits neatly beneath a laptop. All mixing and effects parameters are adjustable using the front panel backlit LCD. Record extended sessions even in the most remote locations with the complete freedom of field battery power.
The Traveler-mk3 interface provides cross-platform compatibility with Mac and Windows and all of your favorite audio software and host-based effects via WDM/ASIO/Core Audio drivers. You can also use the included AudioDesk workstation software for Mac, with 24-bit recording/editing and 32-bit mixing/processing/mastering.
- Sturdy, lightweight construction
- Compact size
- Powered by computer (bus power requires a non-adapted 6-pin FireWire port
- 28 inputs/30 outputs (at 44.1/48kHz)
- Mic inputs, TRS analog, AES/EBU, RCA S/PDIF, and phones are all handled as separate channels
- Four combo jacks provide Hi-Z 1/4" guitar input or low-Z XLR mic input with transparent preamps, phantom power, pad, and plenty of gain
- Clip protection up to +12dB over zero
- Individual 48V phantom power on each mic input
- Four 24-bit 192kHz analog inputs and 8 analog outputs on balanced/unbalanced 1/4" TRS jacks
- Digital Precision Trim lets you adjust input gain in 1dB increments on all analog inputs, fine-tune the balance, and save and recall multiple trim setups
- High-resolution recording: operate all analog I/O at sample rates up to 192kHz
- Flexible optical I/O allows you to mix and match formats between the two banks (16 channels of ADAT lightpipe, 8 channels of SMUX (96kHz), or two pairs of stereo TOSLink)
- CueMix FX offers flexible 28 input/16 bus mixer with on-board DSP effects, including classic reverb with sends/returns, plus modeled EQ and vintage compression on every input and output
- Multiple CueMix FX mixes lets you create different monitor mixes for the main outs and headphones, or add send/return loops for outboard gear with no latency
- CueMix FX software provides real-time FFT and spectrogram waterfall displays for advanced audio signal analysis of individual signals and entire mixes
- Access your entire mix, or any Traveler-mk3 setting, directly from the front panel
- Standalone operation lets you program your mixes at the studio and then bring the Traveler-mk3 to your gig by just plugging in the included DC power adapter (Tweak settings using the back-lit LCD)
- Connect a MIDI controller and/or sound module with no separate interface needed
- MIDI I/O is sample-accurate with supporting software
- Add additional interfaces for more I/O as your needs grow
- Connect the 8pre via optical for 8 more mic inputs at sample rates up to 96kHz fully integrated into the Traveler-mk3's CueMix FX mixing environment
- Built-in SMPTE time code sync resolves to and generates time code, allowing you to directly resolve Digital Performer, Logic, Cubase, Nuendo and other compatible host software to time code with no additional synchronizer needed
- Includes drivers for Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista, including ASIO, WDM, Core Audio, and Core MIDI
- Supports all popular Mac and Windows audio software
- 100% compatible with all host-based effects processing in today's popular audio programs
- Includes AudioDesk 3: full-featured sample-accurate workstation software for the Mac OS X with recording, editing, mixing, real-time 32-bit effects processing, & sample-accurate sync
- Plug-and-play operation with your Mac or PC via FireWire: Two FireWire 400 ports allow for daisy-chaining without a hub
- Works with a FireWire 800 connection via a simple adapter or FW400-to-800 cable
- Front panel volume control for monitoring
- Stereo, Quad, 5.1, 7.1, and user-defined surround monitoring setups available
- Front panel meters or activity LEDs for all analog, digital, and MIDI I/O, plus SMPTE sync, tach, and lock LEDs
- Front panel LCD provides vertical meters for entire banks (8 channels at once) or horizontal long-throw metering for individual channels
- Meter banks are quickly accessible via the dedicated METERS rotary encoder on the front panel
At home or on the road, the Traveler-mk3 makes high-quality recording a reality. Order now.
Traveler-mk3 FireWire Audio Interface
- Dimensions: 14.75"W x 9"D
Eight 24-bit 192kHz outputs on balanced/unbalanced 1/4" TRS jacks
Phone jack with front panel volume control
Stereo 24-bit 96kHz AES/EBU In/Out
Stereo 24-bit 96kHz S/PDIF In/Out
Word clock in and out
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
Reviewed by 2 customers
Displaying reviews 1-2
Comments about MOTU Traveler-mk3 FireWire Audio Interface:
We got this baby at the school where I teach music technology. GREAT GREAT GREAT SOUND. You can make preset mixes with the cuemix software. So, if you have a standard mixer setup for drum mic's you can recall that set of levels. Super easy to use and sounds great. Pricetag is a little high, but once you hear it, you will forget all about that.
Comments about MOTU Traveler-mk3 FireWire Audio Interface:
Does it allow me to record to my DAW? Usually. Yes it works reasonably well as a basic interface. Does it do quirky thigs that you have to live with (e.g. unexplainable noises that come from the unit?) YES. Is the documentation fairly useless? Yes. Was customer support benneficial? NO! Could never reach them by phone. Asked about a buzz click and wound up (in the course of the following month) having to jump through a bunch of generic hoops. Tech support could not answer simple questions, just gave me vague suggestions to try every three of 4 days. I will use this until it just stops working (I suspect any day now) and then I will seek a better product. If you buy MOTU, YOURE ON YOUR OWN!