- Product 604105
Tannoy Reveal 8d Active Studio Reference Monitor
- Write a Review
You can't mix properly if you're monitors are keeping things from you. That's why Tannoy calls these active studio monitors Reveal -- because if you ...Click To Read More About This Product
We're sorry-this item is unavailable.
Find a similar product below or contact our experts for a recommendation of great alternatives. Call us at 800-449-9128.Customers Also Viewed:
You can't mix properly if you're monitors are keeping things from you. That's why Tannoy calls these active studio monitors Reveal -- because if you expect your music to tell the truth, there can be no secrets kept between monitor and mixdown. Thanks to the extended range of the Reveal 8D, you get the big, deep low-frequency performance of an 200mm (8") woofer combined with the same purity, articulation, and accuracy that comes from the Reveal 8D's WideBand extended high frequency unit. Combining classic Reveal performance with 180 watts of bi-amplification, Activ-Assist equalization technology, extended LF response, up to 118dB of power output, and an SPDIF digital input, the Reveal 8D is ready for anything.
Wide bandwidth for superior sound reproduction
Makers of super high-end preamps have long known that a bandwidth (or frequency range) that extends well beyond the range of human hearing is an essential factor in quality sound reproduction due to the improvement of phase response in the audible frequency range. The inclusion of the Tannoy WideBand high frequency unit extends the high frequency phase response, which further enhances the R8D's the open and detailed reproduction of mid-high frequencies. This ensures increased tonal accuracy of individual instruments in the reproduction process”a mix-critical factor allowing the best EQ and placement decisions to be made. Even with conventional sources such as a CD, the extended bandwidth reduces phase errors and improves transient performance significantly below 20kHz. This leads to increased tonal accuracy at all frequencies and preserves the harmonic relationships between instruments.
Improved cabinet construction for better performance
To prevent unwanted resonant frequencies from clouding your mix, the Reveal 8D's cabinet has been further braced and refined to provide the most rigid platform possible for the new driver designs. Securely attached to the solid baffle, with no less than 10 hex socket countersunk-head screws, an all-new bass driver performs with significantly reduced distortion. Magnetic circuit flux control rings and extensive Klippell-based symmetry analysis has made this performance improvement possible and the new driver provides tight, punchy and controlled bass response with a clean and open mid range for superb vocal intelligibility.
Onboard optimization for taming room characteristics
A set of DIP switches on the rear control panel of the Reveal 8D allows the selection of an optimum speaker response for real life and often difficult monitoring situations so that the frequency response at the listener's ears is always as linear and flat as possible, which means no exaggerated frequencies to mess with your mix. Reveal monitors can therefore be optimized for varying listening distances in difficult acoustic spaces; varying meter bridge positions, against and adjacent to walls or reflecting surfaces, in corners, in corners on shelves or brackets, table top / space restricted PC/Mac based sound editing environments and stand mounted or soffit-mounted configurations.
Tannoy Activ-Assist software
Activ-Assist software is designed to assist the user of Tannoy active monitors in setting the DIP switch equalization features to account for mid, near and close field monitoring distances and varying air loading on the bass driver caused by operating in half, quarter and eighth space environments (sometimes referred to as 'Baffle Step' effect). Typically, these environments could be against a wall or on a table or large support surface such as the meter bridge of a console (half space), in a corner (quarter space) or a worst-case situation such as mounted in a corner on a shelf or table or in a typical outside broadcast mobile vehicle (eighth space).
The program measures the sound radiation characteristics of the monitor compared with a built in anechoic free space reference for a particular model and recommends one of over 2000 DIP switch combinations to get the best possible response for the listener in difficult acoustic conditions. The software, supplied with a pre-calibrated microphone (or use your own flat response microphone with the supplied cables or your own cables) and the necessary cables, requires a typical Windows or MAC notebook, laptop or desktop computer with a standard sound card input/output facility.
Classic Reveal performance updated
The new Tannoy Reveal D range of active near field monitoring speakers builds upon the success and recording industry reputation of the famous original Tannoy Reveal Active. When launched in the mid nineties, the Reveal Active was widely recognized as the product that defined the category and has been the active monitor of choice for thousands of amateur and professional recording, creative composition and postproduction facilities worldwide. Significant advances in digital speaker measuring techniques and precision manufacturing processes have all resulted in the comprehensively improved Reveal monitors, which provide greater bandwidth, significantly lower levels of distortion, smoother responses, more accurate phase control, higher sensitivity levels and greater input source flexibility.
- 40mm MDF sculpted baffle stiff, heavy and rigid and minimizes diffraction.
- Recessed drive units flush with the baffle surface minimizes diffraction.
- New tweeter has wide band design extending the amplitude response beyond 20kHz audibility to 50kHz to correct the phase response from 8kHz to 20kHz within the audible band. This preserves the harmonic structure of sounds and the stability of the stereo image.
- Smooth tweeter faceplate contours prevent diffraction and cavity effects.
- 10 point fixing maximizes contact between drive unit and baffle.
- New design bass units have aluminum flux control rings around the voice coils and copper caps on the pole pieces linearizes the voice coil motional impedance to reduce non linear (3rd order) distortion products caused by varying voice coil inductance.
- Bass unit development using Klippell analysis equipment to minimize offsets and linearize the suspension components.
- On/Mute (energy saving mode) via the Tannoy logo push switch.
- LED indicator shows Active/Energy Saving modes.
- 18mm MDF cabinet construction provides stiffness and minimizes coloration.
- Internal construction braces the sides and rear of the cabinet against the rear of the bass driver to provide a rigid reactive mass for the moving cone assembly. Ensures fast tight bass response and clear midrange.
- Front baffle and rear panel tongued and grooved into the cabinet as a mechanical interlock for safety if wall mounted.
- Double insulated to prevent ground loops no safety earth required.
- CSA/CE/CCC/CB full safety approvals including China.
- Spare fuse in IEC mains connector.
- On/Off mains isolator switch.
- Substantial heat sinking for long term cool running and 24/7 reliability.
- XLR and 1/4 jack combi-connector for balanced input.
- Switch adjacent to XLR selects digital or analogue input.
- RCA input for SPDIF with 75 Ohm terminating impedance.
- 2nd RCA for SPDIF output for slaving a stereo pair.
- Yellow LED indicator lights up when digital lock is achieved.
- 3-way switch selects which channel of the SPDIF stream is decoded, marked Left/Right/Mono. Switching is post 2-channel DAC.
- Trim/Gain control over +6dB/-12dB range reference 0dBV (0.775V) input for full rated output.
- Trim/Gain control works on SPDIF input post DAC.
- Switch selection of 12dB/8ve 80Hz hi-pass filter for use with AV subwoofers.
- First bank of 10 DIP switches controls LF alignment, mid/near/close field and half/quarter/eighth space compensation.
- Second bank of DIP switches controls mid band and HF shelving trim.
- Note that the DIP switch flat setting is shown on the back panel artwork.
- Small hole to the right of the right hand switch bank allows the factory set HF trim on test to be fine trimmed by a service agent if a tweeter needs to be replaced.
Reveal 8d Active Studio Reference Monitor
- Frequency response : 46Hz-51kHZ
- Max SPL: 118dB
- Dispersion @-6dB, 10kHz, horizontal: 90 degrees
- Drive Units”LF/MID: 200mm (8") multi fiber
- paper pulp cone
- WideBand HF: 25mm (1") titanium dome, neodymium magnet system.
- Shielded: yes
- Inputs: 600 ohms balanced XLR/1/4" jack combination, SPDIF RCA
- SPDIF sampling rate: 44.1”96kHz
- Sensitivity: 775 mV for 120W
- Amplifier output power: LF / 120W HF ”60W
- Outputs: SPDIF slave out RCA
- User Controls: Front panel mounted on/standby/muteLED indicator, Rear trim +4/-10dB, 80Hz high pass switch (for AV use), 16-way DIP switch for optimum response
- Power Supply: Fixed mains voltage - region specific (to order) 110/220/230v
- Type Optimized bass-reflex loaded
- Construction: MDF cabinet and front baffle, T&G front and back
- Finish: Grey cabinet, Blue painted baffle