- Product H73316
Thermionic Culture Rooster Stereo Mic/Line/DIPre EQ & Attitude, with Balanced Output
- Write a Review
The Thermionic Culture Rooster is a tube-based mic/line & DI pre-amp with EQ and a distortion section based around the same 5725 valve used in th...Read More
We're sorry-this item is unavailable.
Find a similar product below or contact our experts for a recommendation of great alternatives. Call us at 800-449-9128.Customers Also Viewed:
We're sorry—this item is unavailable.
Find a similar product below or contact our experts for a recommendation of great alternatives. Call us at 800-449-9128.Similar Items:
Tube-based dual-mono mic/line & DI pre-amp with EQ and distortion section.
The Thermionic Culture Rooster is a tube-based mic/line & DI pre-amp with EQ and a distortion section based around the same 5725 valve used in the ever-popular Culture Vulture Mastering Plus.
The input is balanced, via an attenuator in Line In mode, with a custom Sowter transformer. There is 48V phantom power selected by a locking toggle, and phase reverse. A DI jack input (unbalanced) comes between the transformer and the Input Level control. Gain is provide by a twin triode 12AT7/ECC81 valve which also powers the active boost controls in the EQ section.
The neatly laid out EQ section has all the active boost controls on the left, with Thermmionic Culture's unique “Varislope” bass-lift control, peaking at 60Hz, and a selectable mid/high lift peaking at 2.5k/4kHz (“bell” shaped) and 7kHz (“Varislope”). The Cut controls are in the centre. The mid operates at 700Hz, the 6-position Bass Cut is combines a high-pass filter with shelving, depending on the setting (see curves in manual). There is also a switchable low-pass filter (labelled LPF) to remove unwanted harsh high frequencies.
"ATTITUDE" DISTORTION SECTION
The same 5725-distortion tube employed in the Culture Vulture is used in the new Rooster. It offers a subtle distortion characteristic in the triode position, moreso than a Culture Vulture, due to the higher HT voltage, plus the use of negative feedback. As such, it has a very low (about 0.01%) distortion when the Attitude control is set to 1. In the pentode mode it generates more 3rd harmonic distortion. Distortion can be pretty radical when the Attitude control is to Max and the input is high.
The output valves are 2 triode/pentode PCF80s which combine high output with low impedance, controlled by the Output Level control. The output is transformer balanced. The Output level is indicated by 3 LEDs.
- Use The Rooster as a clean, high quality, valve mic amp, or as a subbtle enhancer to bring vocals and instruments forward in a mix
- Attitude can be increased to give a similar effect to compression - great for room miking
- Bass Lift can be used to give a very large bottom end to drums
Add a little Culture to your rack and record with attitude. Order today!
Rooster Stereo Mic/Line/DIPre EQ & Attitude, with Balanced Output
- Measurements are made at typical "Attitude: setting 2. in Pentode mode with an output of +4dBu. Measurements made with AC mains input 236V 50Hz. Load resistance is 10kΩ.
- Available gain:
- Mic: 50dB (77dB with Attitude at max.)
- Line: 14.5dB
- Frequency response (+0dB, -1dB): 14.5Hz to 45kHz (balanced version)
- Distortion (THD @ 1kHz): ≤0.06%
- Noise (unweighted, 30kHz filter): ≤97dB below MOL
- MOL (2% THD @1kHz): ≥+24dBu
- Phase shift: 21º (5.6%) at 10kHz
- Input impedance:
- Mic: 600 ohm
- Line: 10k ohm
- DI: 47k ohm unbalanced
- Output impedance: 75 ohm
- 10k ohm is the ideal load impedance. The Rooster will work into a load of 600 ohm, but distortion will increase & MOL will be reduced.
- Valve (tube) Complement (2ea):
- Input: ECC81 / 12AT7
- Attitude: 5725 / 6AS6W
- Output: PCF80 / 9AQ8