- Product 580326
Universal Audio UAD-2 Solo Laptop DSP Accelerator Card
- Write a Review
The UAD-2 SOLO/Laptop is a must-have sonic upgrade for recording and mixing with authentic analog sound quality on a laptop. This ExpressCard-based D...Click To Read More About This Product
We're sorry-this item is unavailable.
Find a similar product below or contact our experts for a recommendation of great alternatives. Call us at 800-449-9128.Customers Also Viewed:
The fast, easy way to step up and supercharge your laptop with UA's Powered Plug-Ins.
The UAD-2 SOLO/Laptop is a must-have sonic upgrade for recording and mixing with authentic analog sound quality on a laptop. This ExpressCard-based DSP accelerator package includes several of Universal Audio's most popular "analog classic" plug-ins”the LA-2A and 1176 Compressor/Limiters, and the Pultec EQ”and provides a significant processing boost for those who mix music on Mac or PC laptops, thanks to its onboard SHARC processor. Better still, it gives users access to the UAD Powered Plug-Ins library, including some of the best-reviewed plug-ins of all time.
Specifically, the UAD-2 SOLO/Laptop provides access to popular UAD plug-in titles from Manley, Empirical Labs, Neve, Roland, BOSS, EMT, Fairchild, Harrison, Helios, Little Labs, Pultec, SPL, Teletronix, and more (sold separately), from any ExpressCard-equipped Mac or PC. Whether you use Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, Digital Performer, or Pro Tools, these UAD-2 plug-ins can inject the character and quality of classic hardware into your mixes, while freeing up your laptop's internal processor for other mixing duties. Put simply, the UAD-2 SOLO/Laptop is like having a rack full of vintage analog gear in your pocket.
Mac- and Windows-compatible, with support for VST, Audio Units, and RTAS, the UAD-2 SOLO/Laptop is easy to use. Just install the software, plug it in, and start mixing. Thanks to its Analog Devices SHARC processor, and simple ExpressCard format, no cables or external power supply are required. Just plug and play.
Developed by one of the industry's finest engineering teams, and backed by frequent new software and plug-in releases, the UAD-2 is the processing platform of choice for many of the world's top musicians, producers and engineers.
- Run world-class UAD-2 Powered Plug-Ins finally on your ExpressCard-equipped Mac or PC laptop
- Includes "Analog Classics" plug-in bundle, featuring LA-2A Classic Audio Leveler, 1176LN/SE Classic Limiting Amplifiers, Pultec EQP-1A and Realverb Pro plug-ins
- Access the complete UAD Powered Plug-Ins library, including: Manley, Empirical Labs, Neve, Roland, BOSS, EMT, Fairchild, Harrison, Helios, Little Labs, Pultec, SPL, Teletronix and more (sold separately)
- Run complex mix processing in Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, Performer and more”without taxing host computer CPU
- Free UAD software upgrades, plus access to more plug-ins at UA's online store
- High-bandwidth ExpressCard format card with one Analog Devices SHARC floating-point processor
- VST, AU, RTAS support; Mac OS X Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard and Windows XP/Vista/7 compatible
- Linkable to existing UAD Groups/Systems - use up to 4 UAD-2(s) in one system; can be combined with UAD-1 cards
- Includes $50 voucher for plug-in purchases via UA's online store
- 1-year limited warranty
- Microsoft Windows XP (Home, Professional, or x64 Edition), Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista (x86 or x64), Windows 7 (32 or 64)
- Mac OS X 10.4.x Tiger or 10.5.x Leopard
- Processor upgrade cards are not officially supported
- One available ExpressCard 34 or 54 slot (The 34 mm slot accepts only 34 mm cards. The 54 mm slot accepts both 34 mm and 54 mm cards. A diagonal guide in the rear of the 54 mm slot guides 34 mm cards to the connector.)
- 256MB RAM (512MB is strongly recommended)
- 1024 x 768 or higher resolution monitor
- CD-ROM drive or internet connection for software installation
- 125MB available hard drive space for UAD-2 or UAD-1 installation
- 250MB available hard drive space for combined UAD-2 plus UAD-1 installation
- Internet connection required for registration and plug-in authorization
- Compatible VST or Audio Units plug-in host application software
Reviewed by 3 customers
Displaying reviews 1-3
I'm a mac guy, this thing was plug and play when i first got it. It's been fine with every software update since. These plugins have also been more stable than others, such as IK (which often have clicks and pops and often will forget saved settings etc). I've never had a problem with them.The plugins sound much better than anything else I've tried (URS, Waves, IK). In mixes, these plugins consistently get chosen over any other plugins I have used. Don't just take my word for it, check out gear slutz forums as well.If you have a computer with an express 34 slot, this is really your best option for software mixing.
If you already know of specific UAD plugs you want to add into your laptop based studio, this is a buy.
Other wise, I'd still recommend it, but be alerted...As of any other UAD product," the initial installation comes with a 14 day trial of all of their plugs. You can activate the ""demo"" of each plug individually at your desired timing", so you have plenty of time to try out each rather then rushing through them all in 14 days.
The next thing you know, you may love the sound and performance of the plugs so much, you may come to realize that perhaps you should have invested in a desktop + Quad Omni in the first place. That was the case with me.
But for those who have no choice but to go mobile, I'd tell them to go right at it.If you are composing over VST instruments on a laptop, facing those situations during mix down where you wouldn't have had to freeze any tracks if only it weren't for that one (or two) last channel strips you just inserted.. this product and an extra few hundred $ for a Neve plug will be a grand stress reliever.
10 thumbs up.
I assume UAD hardware products are pretty good... But, if you are using a Windows XP Laptop computer (like myself), beware!!! I never got pass the installation. I called UAD tech. support 3 times for over a week and a half. But with no luck, I still could never get this card to work. The tech. support said that I needed to upgrade and/or change the settings on my computer (What)?! I said... wait a minute... hold on... I don't need to make any changes like that to my computer that might interupt the other programs I'm using (Cubase 5, M-Audio interface, Wavelab, etc.). All of those and more seem to be working just fine. After downloading the drivers, I should be able to just plug this card in the slot and the light on the card should go from red to green right?!!! Well, it never happen so I returned this item and I will be purchasing "Waves Software"!!! I downloaded the demos and they sound pretty nice and worked just fine!!! Lesson for today: If you can't download the demo and try it first "DON'T BUY IT"!!! Maybe I needed a $2000 Mac Computer??? UAD hardware: 5 stars but UAD software 1 star (and over priced)!!!