Tech Tip:Combo or Stack

Take me to


This Q & A comes from the "Ask the Teacher" section of It’s loaded with great advice for developing guitarists. From the fundamentals of playing to sophisticated solos and modal techniques, there are priceless tips to take your skills to a higher plane. Read our entire library of Rock House articles.


Montana Prekker; Atlanta, GA



Q: Is a guitar amp head the same as an amp … only smaller or is there a bigger difference? I’ve heard the terms combo and stack but I don’t know what these are. I really want to get a new amp but I want to make sure I make the right choice. Thanks!


A: An amp that comes in an all-in-one unit that has one or more speakers as well as an amplifier section is usually referred to as a combo amp. With this type of amp, you can just plug in, turn it on, and start ripping it up.


An amp head is just the electronics section with no speaker. You need to plug the head into a speaker cabinet to make the sound come from your guitar. This type of amp is called a "stack" because you stack the head on top of the speaker cabinet.