Metallica's James Hetfield
With nine Grammys under their belts, Metallica have spent 30 years conquering the world with their signature brand of high-decibel shredding, heavy rock, and in-your-face lyrics that penetrate to the core of the human experience. Their global fame speaks to their influence on just about every rock and metal genre in existence. For their millions of loyal fans, Metallica's music is a staple in life's soundtrack—and guitarist-songwriter James Hetfield is the primal force at the band's epicenter. A self-described man of extremes, his unparalleled right-hand technique, signature vocal growl, and powerful presence onstage amplify what the band stands for: authentic expression.
Before kicking off their 2011 European tour, Hetfield's monstrous tone got some fresh juice through an inspired collaboration with EMG. They designed the James Hetfield Signature Humbucker Set based on James' preferred pickups, the EMG 81/60 combo. Complete with a sleek black nickel-plated finish, these pickups explode with the big-muscled bite, clean low-end response, and percussive attack that define the band's sound. They're sure to call forth your most unrestrained utterances.
If you win big in the James Hetfield Prize Package Giveaway, get ready to rock with a bevy of new gear delivered to your door!
The Grand Prize winner will win Hetfield's signature axe, the ESP LTD Truckster customized with the new EMG James Hetfield Signature Pickup Set pre-installed along with a 36-pack of Dunlop Hetfield Black Fang Picks and the complete Hal Leonard Metallica Guitar Tab Library!
The Grand Prize has a total retail value of approximately $1,342.99.
Winners will be selected in a random drawing on or about July 15, 2011.* You are automatically entered every time you place an order with Musician's Friend from May 23, 2011, through July 13, 2011. No purchase is necessary to enter.
Complete the form to enter!
*Limit of one entry per person per day regardless of method of entry.
James Hetfield Sweepstakes by Musician's Friend Official Rules
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
- SPONSOR: Musician's Friend, Inc., 931 Chevy Way, Medford, OR 97504 ("Musician's Friend"). "Sponsor and its agents" shall mean Musician's Friend, Inc.; its advertising/promotional and/or fulfillment agencies; and their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries; and their respective employees, officers, directors, and agents. Sweepstakes Administrator shall mean Musician's Friend.
- ELIGIBILITY: This Sweepstakes is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, who are 16 years of age or older as of May 22, 2011. Void in Puerto Rico, U.S. territories and possessions, and wherever prohibited or restricted by law. Subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws. The Sweepstakes, and any website pages and advertisements or promotional materials relating thereto, are intended for viewing only within the United States. You are not authorized to participate in the Sweepstakes if you are not physically located within the United States at the time of entry. Officers, directors, employees, and agents of Musician's Friend, Inc., Dunlop Mfg., ESP Guitar Co., Hal Leonard Corporation, and each of their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, divisions, and advertising and promotional agencies; and their respective officers, directors, and agents (collectively, the "Sweepstakes Entities"); and the immediate family members and persons living in the same household of each are not eligible.
- HOW TO ENTER: This Sweepstakes begins at 12:01 a.m. (Pacific Time ["PT"] on May 23, 2011, and ends at 11:59 p.m. (PT) on July 13, 2011 ("Sweepstakes Period"). You may enter the Sweepstakes in one of two (2) ways: (1) Online Entry: go to www.musiciansfriend.com/hetfield-sweeps, fill out the online entry form, and submit it in accordance with the on-screen directions during the Sweepstakes Period; or (2) Automatic Entry: with any Purchase from Musician's Friend during the Sweepstakes Period, you will be automatically entered into the Sweepstakes. One entry per person ("Entrant") per day, regardless of means of entry used. If more than one entry is submitted per day, only the first such entry submitted will be accepted. Any intentional attempt by a participant to obtain more than the allowable entries by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, or any other methods will void all of that participant's entries. Sponsor will not verify receipt of entries. All entries submitted become the sole property of Sponsor and will not be returned. By entering, Entrants agree to comply with these Official Rules, including all eligibility requirements. Illegible and/or incomplete entries and entries submitted by Entrants who do not meet the eligibility requirements (including all requirements with respect to age and residence) are void. Sponsor and its agents are not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected entries; for technical, hardware, or software failures of any kind; for lost or unavailable network connections; or for failed, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmissions or any human error that may occur in the receipt or processing of the entries. Proof of entering information at website does not constitute proof of delivery or receipt. Sponsor reserves the right to modify the scheduling of the Sweepstakes without prior notification. Use of computer programs, macro, programmed, robotic, automatic, and other similar means to enter the Sweepstakes is prohibited and may result in the disqualification of the Entrant. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of the person submitting an entry, the entry will be deemed to be submitted by the person in whose name the email account is registered on the date the entry is submitted. All entries become the sole property of the Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
- POTENTIAL WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION: "Potential Winner" will be selected in a random drawing on or about July 15, 2011, by Sponsor or its designee, the judge of the Sweepstakes, whose decisions are final and binding on all matters relating to the Sweepstakes. Potential Winner will be notified by telephone, U.S. mail, and/or email using the contact information provided at the time of entry ("Prize Notification") and must respond to the Prize Notification within seven (7) calendar days from the first notification attempt ("Deadline"). Such response shall include providing and/or confirming his/her full name and a mailing address ("Mailing Information"), where Sponsor can send an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release and W-9 Reporting Form (collectively, the "Sweepstakes Documents") for the Potential Winner. The mailing address must include a street address (no P.O. Boxes). If a Potential Winner does not provide the Mailing Information in response to the Prize Notification by the Deadline, he/she will be disqualified and an alternate Potential Winner will be selected from all eligible entries received for the original drawing. Sponsor will attempt to award the prize to alternate winners following the same procedure until a Winner is confirmed. Once Sponsor receives a Potential Winner's Mailing Information, a set of Sweepstakes Documents will be sent to him/her via overnight mail and/or by email. Each Potential Winner must sign and return the Sweepstakes Documents within seven (7) calendar days of the date of receipt or he/she will forfeit the Prize and an alternate Potential Winner will be selected. Provided that the Potential Winner has complied with these Official Rules and meets all the eligibility requirements set forth herein, following Sponsor's receipt of the signed Sweepstakes Documents, Sponsor shall declare the Potential Winner the Winner ("Winner"). Return of any Prize Notification or Sweepstakes Documents as undeliverable will result in disqualification, and an alternate Potential Winner will be selected from all eligible entries received for the original drawing. Sponsor shall repeat the winner selection and notification procedures set forth in this Section 5, until a Winner is confirmed.
- PRIZE AND ODDS OF WINNING: 6. PRIZE AND ODDS OF WINNING: One (1) Grand Prize: One (1) ESP LTD Truckster, Approximate Retail Value (hereafter referred to as ARV) $899.00. One (1) EMG James Hetfield Signature Pickup Set (installed), ARV $239.00. One (1) Hal Leonard Metallica Complete Guitar Tab Library, ARV $185.00. One (1) 36-pack of Dunlop Hetfield Black Fang Picks .94MM, ARV $19.99. Total ARV: $1,342.99. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. Each entry will have an equal chance of winning.
- PRIZE CONDITIONS: Selection and specifics of the Prize will be determined at the Sponsor's sole discretion. All prizes are subject to availability. No cash redemption or prize substitution allowed except by the Sponsor, who reserves the right at its sole discretion to substitute cash value or another prize it believes is of equal or greater value. Prize is nontransferable. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. Each entry will have an equal chance of winning. The Prize is awarded "AS IS" and without WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, express or implied (including without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose).
- TAXES AND COSTS RELATED TO THE PRIZES: All applicable taxes, including all federal, state, local, and other taxes, and any license and destination charges are the sole responsibility of Winner. Winner is advised to seek counsel regarding tax liabilities associated with the Prize. All expenses and incidentals not specifically mentioned herein are not included and are solely the responsibility of Winner, including but not limited to purchases, meals, beverages, airport transport, service fees, medical services, personal expenses, telephone calls, immigration fees, insurance, taxes, gratuities, and other costs. Winner is required to properly fill out a W-9 tax form (included as part of the Sweepstakes Documents) and may be issued a 1099 tax form for the ARV of the Prize.
- INTERNET: If for any reason the Sweepstakes is not capable of running as planned, including infection due to computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failure, human error, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes, Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any individual it finds who tampers with the entry process, operation of the Sweepstakes or website; and to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Sweepstakes without notice; and to select the winner from all eligible entries received prior to the cancellation or termination. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure problems; or technical malfunctions of any computer online systems, servers, or providers; computer equipment; software; failure of any email or entry to be received by Sponsor on account of human error, technical problems, or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website; theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or tampering with or hacking of the musiciansfriend.com website; any combination thereof, or otherwise, including any injury or damage to any Entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation in the Sweepstakes.
- CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY ALTER OR DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATIONS OF THE SWEEPSTAKES MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- DISPUTES: Each Entrant agrees that (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this Sweepstakes, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and any judicial proceeding shall take place in a federal or state court in Jackson County, Oregon; (2) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Sweepstakes, but in no event attorneys' fees; and (3) under no circumstances will Entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and Entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, and consequential damages, and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of Entrant and the Sponsor in connection with this Sweepstakes shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Oregon, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions (whether of the State of Oregon or any other jurisdiction), that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than those of the State of Oregon.
- WINNER'S LIST: For a Winner's List, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: James Hetfield Sweepstakes, Winner's List, c/o Musician's Friend, Inc., 931 Chevy Way, Medford, OR 97504, to be received no later than October 25, 2011.
TM and © 2011 Musician's Friend, Inc. All rights reserved.
Complete list of awards and nominations Metallica have received through the years …
American Music Awards:
|1992||Metallica||Favorite Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Album||Nominated|
|1992||Metallica||Favorite Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Artist||Nominated|
|1993||Metallica||Favorite Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Artist||Won|
|1994||Metallica||Favorite Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Artist||Nominated|
|1997||Metallica||Favorite Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Artist||Won|
|2003||Metallica||Favorite Alternative Artist||Nominated|
Billboard Music Awards:
|1997||Metallica||Billboard Rock and Roll Artist of the Year||Won|
|1999||Metallica||Catalogue Album of the Year||Won|
|1999||Metallica||Catalogue Artist of the Year||Won|
|1989||…And Justice for All||Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance||Nominated|
|1990||"One"||Best Metal Performance||Won|
|1991||"Stone Cold Crazy"||Best Metal Performance||Won|
|1992||Metallica||Best Metal Performance||Won|
|1992||"Enter Sandman"||Best Rock Song||Nominated|
|1996||"For Whom the Bell Tolls"||Best Metal Performance||Nominated|
|1999||"Better than You"||Best Metal Performance||Won|
|1999||"Fuel"||Best Hard Rock Performance||Nominated|
|2000||"Whiskey in the Jar"||Best Hard Rock Performance||Won|
|2001||"The Call of Ktulu"||Best Rock Instrument Performance||Won|
|2004||"St. Anger"||Best Metal Performance||Won|
|2005||"Some Kind of Monster"||Best Hard Rock Performance||Nominated|
|2008||"The Ecstasy of Gold"||Best Rock Instrumental Performance||Nominated|
|2009||Death Magnetic||Best Rock Album||Nominated|
|2009||"My Apocalypse"||Best Metal Performance||Won|
|2009||"Suicide & Redemption"||Best Rock Instrumental Performance||Nominated|
|2009||Death Magnetic||Best Recording Package||Won|
|2010||"The Unforgiven II"||Best Hard Rock Performance||Nominated|
|1992||Metallica||Best Selling Album by a Foreign Artist||Nominated|
|1992||"Enter Sandman"||Best Selling Single by a Foreign Artist||Nominated|
|2005||"Some Kind of Monster"||Jack Richardson Producer of the Year||Won|
|2009||Death Magnetic||International Album of the Year||Nominated|
|2003||Metallica||Best International Band||Nominated|
|2003||Metallica||Kerrang! Hall of Fame||Won|
|2004||Metallica||Best Band on the Planet||Won|
|2008||Metallica||Inspiration Award Winner||Won|
|2009||Death Magnetic||Best Album||Won|
Meteor Music Awards:
|2005||Metallica||Best International Group||Nominated|
MTV Europe Music Awards:
MTV Video Music Awards:
|1989||"One"||Best Heavy Metal Video||Nominated|
|1992||"Enter Sandman"||Best Metal Video||Won|
|1992||"Enter Sandman"||Best Editing in a Video||Nominated|
|1996||"Until it Sleeps"||Best Metal Video||Won|
|1996||"Until it Sleeps"||Viewer's Choice||Nominated|
|1998||"The Unforgiven II"||Best Rock Video||Nominated|
|2000||"I Disappear"||Best Rock Video||Nominated|
|2000||"I Disappear"||Best Video from a Film||Nominated|
|2000||"I Disappear"||Best Special Effects in a Video||Nominated|
|2000||"I Disappear"||Best Editing in a Video||Nominated|
|2000||"I Disappear"||Best Cinematography in a Video||Nominated|
|2003||"St. Anger"||Best Rock Video||Nominated|
|2008||Metallica||Best Act in the World Today||Nominated|
Radio Music Awards:
|2005||Metallica||Artist of the Year/Alternative and Active Rock Radio||Nominated|
|2005||Metallica||Artist of the Year/Rock Radio||Nominated|
Rock on Request Awards:
|2008||Metallica||Best Metal Artist||Won|
|2009||Metallica||Best Metal Artist||Won|
MTV Video Music Awards:
|2008||Metallica||World's Best Selling Rock Act||Nominated|
|2009||Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction|
|2004||Independent Spirit Award for "Some Kind of Monster" film|
|2004||ASCAP Creative Voice Award|
|2004||NARAS Governors Award|
|2003||MTV Icon Award|
|2001||ESPN Action Sports & Music Awards: Artist Contribution Award|
|2000||VH-1 Awards-Best Stage Spectacle|
|1999||*Diamond Award for Metallica (*sales over 10 million in US)|
|2006||MusiCares MAP Fund. The non-profit organization aimed at helping music industry professionals with addiction recovery treatment—James was presented with Stevie Ray Vaughan Award for "devotion to helping other addicts with the recovery process"|