- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Donald Byrd - A New Perspective
- Write a Review
- #K54478 000000000 K54478000000000
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
Release Date:06/30/2015;Notes:Vinyl LP repressing of this jazz classic. Blue Note seldom ventured far from the spontaneity of small-group jazz, but t...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
Release Date:06/30/2015;Notes:Vinyl LP repressing of this jazz classic. Blue Note seldom ventured far from the spontaneity of small-group jazz, but they put special resources into this 1963 project, letting trumpeter Donald Byrd and arranger Duke Pearson achieve some stunning results with a septet and the voices of the Coleridge Perkinson Choir. Gospel and blues influences had become more prominent in jazz through the work of Horace Silver and Cannonball Adderley, but Byrd explored the connection further here, combining the rich and wordless voices with a potent rhythm section, fluent soloists, and his own brassily declarative trumpet in an authentic and compelling way. Donald Best's bell-like vibraphone and Kenny Burrell's soulful guitar further emphasize the music's wealth of associations. The moods vary from the declamatory power of "Elijah" to the deep blues of "Beast of Burden" and the luminous hymn of Pearson's celebrated "Cristo Redentor" (a little-recognized master of jazz composition, Pearson also wrote "Idle Moments" for a Grant Green session), but the tunes are all realized with energy and feeling. The band seems to take special inspiration from the choir's carpet of sound, and tenor saxophonist Hank Mobley and pianist Herbie Hancock also make substantial contributions. The session has always sounded fantastic, but Rudy Van Gelder's remastering has added even greater luster.;Track List:1. Elijah;2. Beast of Burden;3. Cristo Redentor;4. The Black Disciple;5. Chant
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.