- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Martin Special 18 Style Dreadnought VTS Guitar
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- L25262 000001000 L25262000001000
6-Month* financing available.
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
The D18 Special VTS Mahogany Dreadnought acoustic guitar was designed to target the highly-collectible vintage sound of Martin’s 1930’s Golden Era. T...Click To Read More About This Product
All the feel and looks of a classic 1930's-era Martin without the hefty, vintage price tag.
The D18 Special VTS Mahogany Dreadnought acoustic guitar was designed to target the highly-collectible vintage sound of Martin’s 1930’s Golden Era. This period in Martin’s history is considered amongst the finest acoustic guitars in the world. These world-renowned instruments are cherished for their unparalleled tone and considered by many collectors and professional musicians to be the "Stradivarius" of the acoustic guitar. Today, if you could find one of their vintage Martin dreadnoughts, you would expect to pay anywhere from $100,000 to $400,000. For many musicians, that’s totally out of their reach. However, with Martin’s revolutionary Vintage Tone System (VTS), Martin has created a process to capture the look and sound of one of their older instruments and replicate it within a ten-year period.
In the spirit of combining a modern feel with a vintage tone, the D18 Special VTS Dreadnought incorporates a premium grade of Sitka spruce for the top, and temperature ages it to target the sound of the 1930’s. The guitar is then braced with a forward-shifted scalloped 5/16” X bracing pattern to add just the right of color to the tone. Martin then combined its VTS top with a genuine mahogany back and sides, and the playability of a fresh D18, to create a dreadnought guitar that has an extraordinary sound and feel. The D18 Special VTS Dreadnought has a clear, defined treble and midrange tone, with an extremely punchy bottom end. To recreate a vintage look, they added aging toner, tortoise binding and a tortoise pickguard.
What is Martin’s Vintage Tone System? It’s a proprietary temperature aging process that allows Martin to target the sound of their vintage acoustic guitars within a decade. It’s like a time machine taking a new guitar and aging it to sound vintage. Martin has honed this process by benchmarking some of the finest examples of their 185-year history, found in their Nazareth, PA museum. Once they reference a vintage top, the new top is aged to the correct moisture content and look of that period. This proprietary VTS process is unique to Martin and can only be found on custom, special and Authentic Martin models.
- Premium Sitka VTS top
- Aging toner
- Antique white binding
- Natural finish
Love the classic Martin sound? Then grab this Special today.
- Body type: Dreadnought
- Cutaway: No
- Top wood: Premium VTS Sitka spruce
- Back and sides: Genuine mahogany
- Bracing pattern: 5/16" forward shifted scalloped
- Body finish: All-gloss nitrocellulose lacquer
- Orientation: Right handed
- Neck shape: Modified low oval with high performance taper
- Nut width: 1.75" (44.45 mm)
- Fingerboard: Ebony
- Neck wood: Genuine mahogany
- Scale length: 25.4"
- Number of frets: 20
- Neck finish: Satin
- Pickup/preamp: No
- Brand: Not applicable
- Configuration: Not applicable
- Preamp EQ: Not applicable
- Feedback filter: Not applicable
- Tuner: Not applicable
- Headstock overlay: East Indian rosewood
- Tuning machines: Grover nickel
- Bridge: Ebony
- Saddle and nut: Bone
- Number of strings: 6
- Special features:
- Case: Hardshell case
- Accessories: None
- Country of origin: United States
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.