- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Electric Guitar
- Write a Review
- #L18249 000001000 L18249000001000
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
More than two and half years in the making, the Silver Sky, a vintage-inspired instrument that is at once familiar but also totally PRS through ...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
Extraordinary attention to detail makes for a stellar signature guitar.
- The PRS Silver Sky | Demo with Bryan Ewald | PRS Guitars
- A Conversation with Rene´ Martinez: The PRS Silver Sky | PRS Guitars
- The Making of the Silver Sky | 1 of 4 | PRS Guitars
- The Making of the Silver Sky | 2 of 4 | PRS Guitars
- The Making of the Silver Sky | 3 of 4 | PRS Guitars
- The Making of the Silver Sky | 4 of 4 | PRS Guitars
More than two and half years in the making, the Silver Sky, a vintage-inspired instrument that is at once familiar but also totally PRS through and through, is the end result of a close collaboration between Grammy Award-winning musician John Mayer and Paul Reed Smith, This model was based off of Mayer and Smith’s favorite elements from 1963 and 1964 vintage instruments, resulting in an idealized version of an iconic vintage single-coil guitar. The attention that was paid to every detail sets this guitar apart
Some of the more distinctive specifications include, the headstock shape, tuners, neck and fretboard, bridge, and pickups and electronics. The headstock shape is based on PRS’s trademark design, but inverted to both accommodate Mayer’s playing style and also to keep a consistent length of string behind the nut, which makes staying in tune easier. The tuners are a traditional vintage-style, closed-back tuner, but with PRS’s locking design.
The neck shape was modeled after 1963/1964 vintage instruments, and the fretboard has a 7.25” radius. The moment your hand grabs this neck, it just feels right. Like the tuners, the steel tremolo takes a classic design and incorporates PRS’s trem arm and Gen III knife-edge screws.
The bridge on the Silver Sky is setup flush to the body in the neutral position so that the tremolo bridge only goes down in pitch. By keeping the bridge in contact with the body, the guitar itself is acoustically louder, which improves the signal to noise ratio of the single-coil pickups. The 635JM single-coil pickups are very round and full, with a musical high end that is never “ice-picky” or brash.
Other high-quality specifications include a bone nut, a molded metal jack plate that is curved and makes plugging and unplugging a guitar cable hassle-free, retooled knobs, fretwire that is slightly smaller than what you’d find on most PRS electric guitars, and PRS’s double action truss rod (accessible from the front of the headstock for ease of use). Includes gig bag.
- Gloss-finished, solid alder body
- 25.5" scale maple neck with 22-fret, 7.25" radius rosewood fretboard
- Custom John Mayer signature PRS single coils with 5-way blade switch
- PRS-designed vintage-style steel-plate tremolo, PRS locking tuners
Order your vintage-inspired John Mayer signature guitar now.
- Body shape: Double cutaway
- Body type: Solid body
- Body material: Solid wood
- Top wood:
- Body wood: Alder
- Body finish: Gloss
- Orientation: Right handed
- Neck shape: Custom signature
- Neck wood: Maple
- Joint: Bolt-on
- Scale length: 25.5 in.
- Truss rod: Dual-action
- Neck finish: Gloss
- Material: Rosewood
- Radius: 7.25 in.
- Fret size: info not available
- Number of frets: 22
- Inlays: Birds
- Nut width: 1.65 in. (42 mm) Bone
- Configuration: SSS
- Neck: Custom single-coil Artist Signature
- Middle: Custom single-coil Artist Signature
- Bridge: Custom single-coil Artist Signature
- Brand: PRS
- Active or passive pickups: Passive
- Series or parallel: Parallel
- Piezo: No
- Active EQ: No
- Special electronics:
- Control layout: Master volume, tone 1, tone 2
- Pickup switch: 5-way
- Coil tap or split: No
- Kill switch: No
- Bridge type: Tremolo/Vibrato
- Bridge design: PRS plate-style
- Tailpiece: Not applicable
- Tuning machines: PRS locking
- Color: Nickel
- Number of strings: 6-string
- Special features:
- Case: Gig bag
- Country of origin: United States
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.