- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Taylor 500 Series 556ce 12-String Grand Symphony Acoustic-Electric Guitar
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- K46035 000001000 K46035000001000
6-Month* financing available.
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
Taylor's revitalized 500 Series mahogany guitars, like this 556ce 12-String Grand Symphony Acoustic-Electric, are brimming with appealing refinements...Click To Read More About This Product
Introduces the combination of a Lutz spruce top with an all-solid mahogany body for a great all-around sound with a hearty midrange.
Taylor's revitalized 500 Series mahogany guitars, like this 556ce 12-String Grand Symphony Acoustic-Electric, are brimming with appealing refinements, starting with Taylor's Performance bracing that boosts the volume, low-end richness and projection, while also making the guitars more responsive. The 556ce's top is made of a fairly new tonewood, Lutz spruce, producing a powerful sound reminiscent of Adirondack spruce. The 500 Series 556ce 12-String Grand Symphony Acoustic-Electric ships in a deluxe hardshell case made by Taylor for optimal fit and protection.
Compared to the Taylor Grand Auditorium, the Grand Symphony has a bigger, rounder lower bout and slightely wider "waist" area, and the bigger sound board (top) means more tonal output. Expect a meaty lower midrange and strong treble shimmer. A GS is best if you want a guitar with a robust low end, strong volume when strumming or flatpicking, and clear articulation in response to light fingerpicking attack.
A guitar's top is the primary filter and distributor of vibrating string energy through the guitar, which means it has a huge impact on its sound. Lutz Spruce is a naturally occuring hybrid of Sitka and white spruce. Sitka is the most prevalent guitar top wood of the modern era because it blends stiffness and elasticity in just the right proportions which translates into broad dynamic range with crisp articulation. Lutz spruce takes these attributes and blends them with those of white and Englemann spruce, with an end result resembling old Adirondack spruce. When combined with Taylor's bracing architecture, guitars are more powerful, richer and louder than before. Tropical mahogany is known for a meaty midrange featuring a strong fundamental without adding a lot of ringing overtones. It responds well to players with a strong attack who like dry, earthy, lo-fi sounds. It has a natural compression that smooths out strumming and picking technique. Mahogany's clear and direct tonal character makes it a great option for playing and standing out among other instruments.
Taylor's ES2 is a revolutionary pickup design that delivers the latest in Taylor’s ongoing innovation in acoustic guitar amplification. The heart of the Expression System 2 is Taylor’s patented behind-the-saddle pickup, which features three uniquely positioned and individually calibrated pickup sensors. Because the pickup doesn't sit under the saddle, the bottom of the saddle comes in full contact with the bridge, allowing all the nuance of the guitar's tone to come through clearly whether playing acousticly or plugged-in. The location of the sensors enables a more dynamic range of acoustic sound to be captured than ever before while playing plugged-in. Together with Taylor’s custom-designed “professional audio”-grade preamp, this system produces exceptional amplified tone and responsiveness. On stage through a PA, plugged into your favorite acoustic amplifier, or direct into recording software, the Expression System 2 faithfully conveys the voice of your Taylor guitar. The Taylor Expression System 2 operates through a proprietary 9-volt battery compartment and easy-to-use volume, and active bass and treble controls.
The Taylor Difference
What sets Taylor Guitars apart? Unmatched build quality, the most stable and playable necks, a vast array of tonal options, eco-conscious and ethically-sourced raw materials, and a lifetime of service and support.
- Faux tortoise-bound soundhole
- Genuine ebony bridge pin
- Solid tonewoods - Lutz spruce top with tropical mahogany
- Taylor's reliable ES2 electronics
- Made in the USA
Turn this Taylor into your go-to acoustic-electric. Order now.
- Body type: Grand Symphony
- Cutaway: Florentine
- Top wood: Solid Lutz spruce
- Back and sides: Solid Tropical Mahogany
- Bracing pattern: Taylor Performance (Standard III with relief rout)
- Body finish: Gloss 6.0
- Orientation: Right handed
- Neck shape: Taylor Standard Profile
- Nut width: 1.87 in. (47.6 mm)
- Fingerboard: Genuine West African ebony
- Neck wood: Tropical mahogany
- Scale length: 25.5 in.
- Number of frets: 20
- Neck finish: Satin
- Pickup/preamp: Yes
- Brand: Taylor
- Configuration: Behind-the-saddle transducer with Adjustable Sensors
- Preamp EQ: 2-band
- Feedback filter: Phase
- Tuner: No
- Headstock overlay: Genuine West African ebony
- Tuning machines: Taylor nickel with nickel buttons
- Bridge: Genuine West African ebony
- Saddle and nut: Micarta "Wave"/Tusq
- Number of strings: 12
- Special features: None
- Case: Deluxe hardshell case
- Accessories: None
- Country of origin: United States
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.