- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Taylor Academy 12-N Grand Concert Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- J52147 000001000 J52147000001000
6-Month* financing available.
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
Over the past four-plus decades there’s a resounding theme from Taylor Guitars: passion for improving the guitar-playing experience. As a company tha...Click To Read More About This Product
An entry-level nylon-string guitar designed to be your go-to even after you've matured as a player.
Over the past four-plus decades there’s a resounding theme from Taylor Guitars: passion for improving the guitar-playing experience. As a company that’s passionate about exposing more players to the pleasures of making music, Taylor isn’t content to see people throw in the towel before they have a chance to get their groove on. The Academy Series, which includes this Academy 12-N Nylon String Grand Concert Acoustic, represents Taylor’s effort to support the development of the entry-level guitar player. Taylor believes that in many respects a player who is just beginning deserves the best-playing guitar.
Most newcomers to the instrument — and parents buying for their kids — are understandably reluctant to pony up for a more expensive, “nice” brand of guitar without knowing whether the interest will last. So the approach tends to be: start with an inexpensive, “good-enough” guitar, and if things progress, upgrade to something better. But all too often this ends in hand-wringing frustration, where would-be music-makers walk away from the instrument blaming themselves for not having enough musical talent or physical dexterity, when in fact the real culprit all along was the guitar.
The Playing Experience
The Academy Series, which includes this Academy 12e Grand Concert, was designed to offer enough immediate gratification to encourage a new player to keep playing. To do so, the playing experience was Taylor’s priority:
• Easy to hold and play: The body is comfortable and lightweight, and easy to strum and fret
• Rewarding sound: Yields a good sound easily in the hands of a newer player
• Not too precious: Durable, minimal, so it's not intimidating for a novice to play and care for
• Broad appeal: Covers a broad range of music preferences
Function and Form
The Academy Series 12-N Grand Concert Nylon is special because in this price range, a good nylon-string guitar is even harder to find than a steel-string guitar. The Academy 12-N nylon-string guitar is great on its own, not merely for its price tag. Its unique mix of musical goodness and low cost give it a passport to travel into other parts of the world, where musical preferences demand nylon strings.
Musical preferences aside, the super-light string tension of nylon strings is even easier on one’s fingertips than steel strings, making it a great choice for kids or players not yet used to pressing metal wire against their fingers.
The Academy 12-N also offers an affordable and high-quality option to established players who don’t use a nylon-string guitar as their primary acoustic but who want to explore its distinctive acoustic palette, with the added benefit of a more compact body size for extra playing comfort.
The wood pairing on the Academy 12-N is a solid spruce top with layered sapele back and sides. Genuine African ebony – not man-made substitutes - is used for the fingerboard and bridge, just as with all other Taylor models.
The neck is a fully engineered version of Taylor’s patented design, allowing for precise calibration of the neck angle and smooth serviceability throughout the guitar’s life. The Academy 12-N guitar’s top bracing and other internal architecture were optimized for volume and projection. It has full-size guitar dimensions. It has the right depth and width for the right internal architecture, with a seriously straight and true neck on it. These things were meant to go together as a whole without compromising musical function.
Although an armrest is normally reserved as an ultra-premium feature of Taylor’s top-end models, Taylor’s Andy Powers developed a greatly simplified version, produced with function in mind. “It’s important to give a beginning player the most comfortable, gratifying experience to make a welcoming first impression,” he says. “If the guitar is comfortable, plays well, and has a pleasing sound, then a player will have an easier time staying with the instrument.”
The Taylor Difference
The Academy Series also introduces players to the best of what Taylor Guitars brings to the guitar market. Unmatched build quality, the most stable and playable necks, a vast array of tonal options, eco- conscious and ethically-sourced raw materials, and a lifetime of service and support.
- Body type: Grand Concert/OO
- Cutaway: No
- Top wood: Solid Lutz Spruce
- Back & sides: Layered Sapele
- Bracing pattern: Academy Series Nylon
- Body finish: Matte 2 Varnish
- Orientation: Right handed
- Neck shape: Standard Taylor Nylon Profile
- Nut width: 1.875 in. (47.62 mm)
- Fingerboard: Genuine African Ebony
- Neck wood: Sapele
- Scale length: 25.5 in.
- Number of frets: 17
- Neck finish: Satin
- Pickup/preamp: No
- Brand: Not applicable
- Configuration: Not applicable
- Preamp EQ: Not applicable
- Feedback filter: Not applicable
- Tuner: Not applicable
- Headstock overlay: Genuine African Ebony
- Tuning machines: Nylon Nickel with Pearl Buttons
- Bridge: Genuine African Ebony
- Saddle & nut: Tusq
- Number of strings: 6-string
- Special features: Armrest
- Case: Deluxe Gig Bag
- Accessories: None
- Country of origin: Mexico
Join the Academy. Order this Taylor for your aspiring player.
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.