- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Taylor Custom No. 20 Grand Concert 12-Fret Acoustic-Electric Guitar
Shaded Edge Burst
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- L74991 000001000 L74991000001000
6-Month* financing available.
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
Drawing inspiration from many of Taylor's favorite tone woods, this custom Custom No. 20 Grand Concert 12-Fret acoustic-electric guitar blends a...Click To Read More About This Product
A custom design with striking koa and Taylor's ES2 electronics and V-Class bracing.
Drawing inspiration from many of Taylor's favorite tone woods, this custom Custom No. 20 Grand Concert 12-Fret acoustic-electric guitar blends a striking use of master grade koa, with the precise control of a Taylor Grand Concert shape. The Grand Concert shape produces a balanced tone that is perfect for the studio or concert application. It's easy to play, responsive and dynamic to a variety of performance styles and techniques. The added feature of the 12-fret neck-to body, slotted peghead and short scale length deliver a unique sound quality and playability. If you're looking for a small-bodied guitar with powerful voice, this is the guitar for you. Other premium custom features include a tobacco edge burst, maple binding with chamfered edges, Nouveau boxwood inlay pattern and rosette, ES-2 pickup and Taylor hardshell case.
Hawaiian koa is a fairly dense tropical hardwood with a strong midrange focus similar to mahogany, with a bit of extra top-end brightness and chime. The more koa is played and has a chance to open up—especially when the back and sides are also solid koa—it promises to grow warmer and sweeter, especially in the midrange.
Taylor's Grand Concert is slightly smaller that its Grand Auditorium and yields controlled overtones, so the sound won't occupy a lot of sonic space. This is often a key consideration when other instruments are in the mix, as it allows the guitar to be heard more clearly. This custom Hawaiian koa Grand Concert features a 12-fret neck-to-body construction, and offers an articulate voice with top-end chime. It's perfect for fingerstyle players and light strummers, though flat-pickers are known to enjoy its tonal character too. Its intimate size makes it lap/couch-friendly, and a great fit for players who find smaller instruments more physically comfortable. Taylor’s compact Grand Concert 12-fret guitars deliver a uniquely inspiring playing experience. The shorter 12-fret neck and 24-7/8" scale length create a slinky hand-feel that makes fretting and bending strings easier, and the different bridge placement articulates the top in a way that produces a remarkably powerful voice for a small body.
Taylor's V-Class bracing is a fundamental innovation in acoustic guitar design. It marks an important evolution beyond traditional X-bracing, introducing an entirely new platform for acoustic performance. It is essentially a "sonic engine" that optimizes the response of an acoustic guitar in three key ways: by boosting volume, sustain, and by largely resolving the intonation (in-tune-ness) issues that have long plagued acoustic guitars. V-Class bracing creates purer, more orderly notes that don't cancel each other out or sound "off". They have clearer, more consistent response, and the whole fretboard is brought into greater sonic alignment for a more musical playing/listening experience.
Guitars with V-Class bracing are easier to tune; the pitch sounds purer and more solid, and electronic tuners can more easily locate notes for quick, precise tuning. Other benefits: harmonics ring more uniformly down the neck, notes are louder with more projection and sustain, and notes are more consistent, i.e., upper register notes don't get choked out or swallowed. Fewer "sour" sonic qualities exist with chords; a more agreeable relationship is created between notes as they ripen, bloom and decay.
Taylor's ES2 is a revolutionary pickup design that delivers the latest in Taylor’s ongoing innovation in acoustic guitar amplification. The heart of the Expression System 2 is Taylor’s patented behind-the-saddle pickup, which features three uniquely positioned and individually calibrated pickup sensors. Because the pickup doesn't sit under the saddle, the bottom of the saddle comes in full contact with the bridge, allowing all the nuance of the guitar's tone to come through clearly whether playing acoustically or plugged-in. The location of the sensors enables a more dynamic range of acoustic sound to be captured than ever before while playing plugged-in.
Together with Taylor’s custom-designed “professional audio”-grade preamp, this system produces exceptional amplified tone and responsiveness. On stage through a PA, plugged into your favorite acoustic amplifier, or direct into recording software, the Expression System 2 faithfully conveys the voice of your Taylor guitar. The Taylor Expression System 2 operates through a proprietary 9-volt battery compartment and easy-to-use volume, and active bass and treble controls.
This beautiful custom acoustic-electric can be yours. Order today.
- Body type: Taylor Grand Concert 12-Fret
- Cutaway: None
- Top wood: Master Grade Hawaiian Koa
- Back & sides: Figured Premium AA Hawaiian Koa
- Bracing pattern: V-Class Bracing with Relief Rout
- Body finish: Gloss Top, Back and Sides
- Orientation: Right-Handed
- Neck shape: Standard Taylor Profile
- Nut width: 1-3/4" (44.5 mm)
- Fingerboard: Genuine West African Ebony
- Neck wood: Neo-Tropical Mahogany
- Scale length: 24-7/8"
- Number of frets: 18
- Neck finish: Gloss
- Pickup/preamp: Expression System 2 Professional Audio-Grade
- Brand: Taylor
- Configuration: Behind-the-Saddle Transducer with Adjustable Sensors
- Preamp EQ: Volume, Active Bass and Treble
- Feedback filter: Onboard Phase Switch
- Tuner: None
- Headstock overlay: Genuine West African Ebony
- Tuning machines: Nickel Slot-head with Genuine West African Ebony Buttons
- Bridge: Genuine West African Ebony
- Saddle & nut: Micarta Saddle; Black Tusq Nut
- Number of strings: 6
- Special features: 12-Fret Slotted Peghead, Glossy Shaded Tobacco Edge Burst, Maple Binding with Chamfered Edges, Nouveau Boxwood Inlay Pattern, Custom Boxwood/Koa Rosette
- Case: Taylor hardshell case
- Accessories: None
- Country of origin: USA
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.