- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
AEA Microphones A440 Active Big Ribbon Studio Microphone
- Write a Review
- #J52646 000000000 J52646000000000
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
RCA 44 ribbon microphones remain an essential part of studio life more than 50 years after manufacturing ceased in 1955. Their open sound and accurat...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
Versatile ribbon, a redesign of the best ribbon mics of the 30s and 40s.
RCA 44 ribbon microphones remain an essential part of studio life more than 50 years after manufacturing ceased in 1955. Their open sound and accurate polar pattern are still unlike anything else available. Never harsh, the 44 flatters a broad array of timbres and fits easily into the mix. The 44 EQs well, but generally does not need it. If you appreciate proximity effect, nothing matches the warmth of the 44.
By the 90’s RCA 44s were becoming increasingly difficult for artist and studios to purchase as collectors bought them up. Specializing in ribbon microphones, AEA consulted with the engineers who originally designed and built the RCA microphones, located original ribbon material, built tooling, and custom made all the parts to recreate the RCA 44 B/BX design to RCA’s original specifications. In 1998, after years of painstaking work, AEA began production of the most important ribbon mic of all time: the AEA R44C. But the quest was not over yet...
How is the A440 different from other ribbon microphones?
The A440 combines phantom power with the Big RibbonTM sound for the first time. With the release of the A440, AEA has synthesized more than 30 years of experience with high performance mics. The A440 has its own personality, but visually and sonically shares a close kinship with the R44. With a sensitivity of –32.5 dBV per Pascal (94 dB SPL) and an equivalent noise level to 6 dB SPL(A), it has a dynamic range as wide as any microphone on the market.
The A440 shares all the pleasing characteristics of AEA’s other Big RibbonTM microphones such as a fast transient response, and no unpleasant resonances. Combining this with active electronics results results in a strong, distinctive sound unlike any other microphone.
The 44 remains a studio favorite 50+ years after RCA ceased production because it still sounds very good to both musicians and their audiences. Like its long ribbon siblings, it will sound good virtually anywhere you use it.
- Phantom powered Big RibbonTM microphone
- JFET active electronics in the AEA TRP tradition
- Exceptionally low equivalent noise level 6 dB(A)
- Long ribbon sound in the 44 tradition
- Authentic RCA New Old Stock ribbon material
- Investment cast bronze yoke and machined brass parts, no zinc
- Single-diaphragm with well-controlled, native figure-8 polar pattern
- Consistent horizontal polar response, on and off axis
- 90o null-plane helps reject difficult acoustics
- High SPL capability: 132.5 dB with a load of 1 k Ohm
- Hand built to order
- Computer matched to production reference standards
Nothing like it. Your studio will never be the same. Consider this microphone.
- Operating Principle: Velocity microphone
- Frequency Response: Below 30 Hz to above 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 140 + dB SPL above 200Hz for 1% third harmonic
- Output Sensitivity: 2.25 mV / Pa into unloaded circuit
- Output Impedance: 270 ohms broadband
- Recommended Load: 1.2 K ohm or greater
- Polarity: Pin 2 high for positive pressure on the front of the microphone
- Connector: XLR-3M wired to a 2 meter captive cable
- Polar Pattern: Native bi-directional pattern
- Horizontal: Level changes with angle, frequency response is consistent, –90 dB null at 90 / 270 degrees
- Vertical: Level changes with angle, reduced HF response above and
- below 0 / 180 degree axis, null at 90 / 270 degrees
- Transducer element
- Ribbon Thickness: 1.8 microns ( .0000018 meter ) of pure aluminum Ribbon Width: 4.7 mm
- Ribbon Length: 59.7 mm
- Included: Custom storage / shipping case, stand adapter, manual and
- attached two-meter microphone cable
- Limited Warranty: Three years parts and labor, shipping not included.
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear