- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
AEA Microphones R84A Bidirectional Big Ribbon Active Studio Microphone
- Write a Review
- #J52654 000000000 J52654000000000
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
The A840 is a pill-shaped, side-address, phantom-powered ribbon microphone with a bidirectional (or figure-of-8) pickup pattern. It is assembled with...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
Pill-shaped studio ribbon mic.
The A840 is a pill-shaped, side-address, phantom-powered ribbon microphone with a bidirectional (or figure-of-8) pickup pattern. It is assembled with the same Big RibbonTM and tuning (16.5 Hz) as the R44 and shares many of the unique sound characteristics with its historic predecessor. With phantom-powered JFET electronics and a custom German transformer, the A840 achieves optimal performance with a wide choice of preamps ranging from vintage high-end models to USB audio interfaces in home studio setups. Designed to accommodate distant and medium miking duties, it exhibits a flat frequency response when placed 3 feet (1 meter) away from the source. As a result, the mic performs well on a variety of recording applications including vocals, brass, strings, woodwinds, guitars, and drums. The A840 ribbon microphone continues to gain followers with its natural sound, articulate midrange, and forgiving nature. Whether used for vocals or instruments, its performance is intimate, warm and detailed, yet never harsh.
Proximity effect is a characteristic of all directional microphones; it is a rise in low-frequency response that increases at closer working distances. While this can be used to good effect, particularly with male voices to give them an enhanced richness and depth, the potential trade-off is reduced articulation or clarity that can result from the masking effect on the treble due to “excessive” bass boost. The proximity on this mic effect begins at six feet (1.8 M) and can become huge. The RCA 44 was developed when studios were larger and mics were rarely used close up. The A840 has a more moderate proximity effect, better suited for closer use in contemporary studios. Designed to accommodate distant and medium miking duties, exhibits a flat frequency response when placed 3 feet (1 meter) away from the source.
- Broad, warm and musically complex
- Versatile; use it on almost anything
- Integrally battles studio bleed
- Tamped down but still present proximity effect
This will be a centerpiece of your studio. Order today.
- Operating Principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional Pattern: Bidirectional
- Frequency Range: <20 Hz to >20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 141 + dB SPL (1% third harmonic > 1 kHz)
- Sensitivity: 6.3 mV/Pa (-44 dBv/Pa) into unloaded circuit
- Output Impedance: 92 Ω broadband
- Recommended Load Impedance: 1.0K Ω or greater
- Phantom Power: P48 phantom power, 7 mA
- Polarity: Pin 2 high for positive pressure on front of
- Polar Response: Native bidirectional, figure-of-8 pattern
- Horizontal: Up to 90 dB rejection at right angles to the
- front/back axis.
- Vertical: Level changes with angle of incidence, but frequency response is consistent.
- Transducer Element Material: Pure aluminum corrugated ribbon
- Thickness: 1.8 μm
- Width: 0.185 in (4.7 mm)
- Length: 2.35 in (59.7 mm)
- Microphone Dimensions
- Height: 11.6 in (29.5 cm)
- Width: 3.9 in (9.9 cm)
- Depth: 2.5 in (6.4 cm)
- Weight with cable: 3 lb (1.36 kg)
- Shipping Weight: 4 lb (1.8 kg)
- Connector: XLR-3M
- Accessories Included: Vertical softcase, user manual, captive 10 ft. (3 meter) output cable with XLR-3M connector
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear