Why Shop With Us?
Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.Learn More
2-Year Free Warranty on Guitars
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.Contact Us for Details
We're Here for You
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.Contact Us
MON - FRI 5 AM - 8 PM PT
SAT - SUN 6 AM - 7 PM PT
Royer R-121 Matched Ribbon Microphone Pair Nickeltrue true
Musician's Friend Rewards
This oversized item has special shipping requirements
- Free Shipping
- Flexible Financing
- Lowest Price
- Ships Internationally
Gold Coverage Protection
Protect your gear
Gold Coverage Protection
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
A matched ribbon microphone pair for warm, realistic stereo imaging.
Like many of the best loved classic ribbon mics, the R-121 has a figure-8 pattern, sensitivity in the dynamic mic range, and a warm, realistic tone and flat frequency response. But that's where the similarities end. By using advanced materials and a blend of cutting edge and old-school hand-build construction techniques, the R-121 is a far more versatile and user-friendly ribbon mic that can stand up to the most demanding tasks, including live stage use. It's built solid enough for us to give it a lifetime warranty. The R-121 redefined ribbon microphones so thoroughly that Recording Magazine wrote "...the Royer R-121 is destined to become one of the classic microphones of the 21st century".
Patented Offset Ribbon Technology
The R-121 microphone's proprietary offset ribbon transducer (Patent Number: 6,434,252) is the first of its kind, positioning the ribbon element closer to the front (logo) side of the microphone. This arrangement gives the ribbon more room to move within the prime magnetic field while maintaining full frequency response during high SPL recordings. It's an integral piece of the magic of all Royer R-series microphones.
Recording With The R-121
Tonally, an Royer R-121 hears things the way your ears hear them. Most microphones add their own characteristics to your recordings; some have a hyped high and low end response with scooped out mids, some are super sizzly in the highs, some accent midrange and give very little upper and lower end frequency response, some respond to nothing but low end. They all serve a purpose and have their place in recording and live work. But if you've ever heard something brilliant - an unbelievable electric guitar, an inspiring trumpet, a sweet flute, an amazing kit - and found that getting that sound to tape or hard drive was impossible, you owe it to yourself to try a Royer ribbon. The R-121 mic's response is flat and well balanced; low end is deep and full without being boomy, mids are well defined and realistic, and the high end response is sweet and natural sounding, never edgy or sibilant.
On playback you'll find the sound is natural and alive, with a panoramic, ambient feel much like what you heard when you were standing in the room with the instruments(s) you were recording.
Need to record at insane levels? No problem! The R-121's maximum SPL rating is 135dB at 20 Hz and it can handle that for years. In practical terms, that means you can put your R-121 ribbon mic directly in front of a souped up 100-watt Marshall and open it up without microphone distortion or damage to the ribbon. Royer doesn't recommend trying this with other ribbon mics, but the R-121 was built to take it.
Two Mics In One
At distances of three feet and closer, the back of the Royer R-121 records slightly brighter than the front side. This can be extremely useful when recording acoustic guitars, vocals, and other sound sources that you may need a slightly brighter response on.
- High SPL Capabilities
- No internal active electronics to overload or produce distortion up to maximum SPL rating
- Extremely low residual noise
- Ribbon element is not affected by heat or humidity
- Absence of high frequency phase distortion
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of element
- Consistent frequency response regardless of distance
R-121 Matched Ribbon Microphone Pair Specifications:
- Acoustic Operating Principle: Electrodynamic pressure gradient
- Polar Pattern: Figure-8
- Generating Element: 2.5-micron aluminum ribbon
- Magnets: Rare Earth Neodymium
- Frequency Response: 30 -15,000 Hz +/- 3dB
- Sensitivity: -50 dBv Re. 1v/pa
- Output Impedance: 300 Ohms @ 1K (nominal)
- Rated Load Impedance: >1500 Ohms @ 300 Ohms
- Maximum SPL: >135dB @ 20 Hz
- Output Connector: Male XLR 3 pin (Pin 2 Hot)
- Dimensions: 58mm L, 25mm W (6.13" L, 1" W)
- Weight: 244g (8.6 oz)
- Finish: Dull Satin Nickel/Matte Black Chrome optional
- Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.