- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Tascam X-48 48-Track Hybrid Hard Disk Workstation
- Write a Review
- Product 241249
- Free Shipping With Backstage Pass (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
TASCAM's X-48 is the world's first standalone 48-track Hybrid Hard Disk Workstation. Co-developed with SaneWave, this powerful DAW integrates the bes...Click To Read More About This Product
We're sorry-this item is unavailable.
Find a similar product below or contact our experts for a recommendation of great alternatives. Call us at 800-449-9128.Customers Also Viewed:
Far more than a simple recorder...
TASCAM's X-48 is the world's first standalone 48-track Hybrid Hard Disk Workstation. Co-developed with SaneWave, this powerful DAW integrates the best of both worlds: the stability and ease-of-use of a purpose-built hard disk recorder, with the GUI, editing features and plug-in compatibility of a computer-based digital audio workstation.
It boasts up to 96kHz/24-bit recording across all 48 tracks. Its file compatibility and synchronization surpass even the TEC Award-winning MX-2424, with native Broadcast WAVE audio file support and AAF export for compatibility with workstations like Pro Tools, Nuendo and Logic. Support for FireWire hard drives and Gigabit Ethernet allows simple transfer between systems, making it the ultimate multitrack solution for high-quality music, post and live recording applications.
Yet the X-48 goes beyond mere standalone recorders -- its built-in, automated 48-channel digital mixer, VGA display output, powerful editing functions and DVD+RW backup drive transform it into a complete integrated workstation.
The portability of the X-48 makes it a natural choice for live event and house of worship recording. Its dedicated design gives you extra reliability for those occasions when there aren't any second takes.
The optional IF-AN24X analog input card offers 24 high-quality balanced analog inputs, and you can use two cards for 48-track/96kHz recording. AES/EBU and ADAT digital I/O cards are also available, and both the analog and digital I/O can be used simultaneously for monitoring.
The rear panel contains a FireWire connection for connecting more hard drives for extra storage. Since the X-48 records Broadcast WAVE files, these recordings can immediately be brought into your favorite DAW for editing and mixing, or you can complete the project "inside the box" with the mixer built into the X-48. It also offers 60-channel automated mixing with powerful processing features, allowing you to monitor the show without an external mixer, and/or output a stereo mix to a CD or DVD recorder like TASCAM's DV-RA1000HD.
Working with the X-48 gives you the feel of recording to a purpose-built recorder, instead of an adapted computer workstation, for solid, reliable performance. With all of its synchronization and control options - like 9-pin control, MIDI control and SMPTE sync - it easily integrates with the rest of the equipment in your studio. When you just want to capture the music, not get bogged down in editing and setup, the X-48 helps you keep the session moving quickly to keep your artists creative.
The X-48 handles 48 tracks of simultaneous 96kHz recording and it keeps up with every punch-in, no matter how fast. Its great-sounding analog converters and inexpensive DVD backup media make it the perfect replacement for aging 24-track recorders. You can record to its built-in 80GB hard drive or to FireWire drives for removable storage.
Once you've captured the performance, you can assemble the perfect take using its built-in editing interface. Just plug in a mouse, keyboard and VGA monitor to start editing, looping, or crossfading between takes. If you prefer working in another format, export your session as an AAF file to a workstation like Pro Tools. Audio tracks on the X-48 are also recorded as standard time-stamped Broadcast WAVE files that can be imported into any workstation software, and you can even work in "tape mode," which creates one audio file per track to make file management between systems easy.
Live Presentation Playback
The X-48 excels as a playback machine for theater, live performance and presentation applications. Its Theatre Mode function allows you to play one audio selection at a time, automatically cueing up the next section for instant playback. Designed for theaters playing back sound effects and music selections, Theatre Mode also offers hundreds of creative possibilities for multimedia producers. Whether the project
originates on the X-48 or is imported from a DAW like Pro Tools, cueing the next scene is as simple and reliable as tapping a footswitch.
Synchronization features like SMPTE, MIDI and RS-422 enable the X-48 to integrate with multimedia installations. Its 48 tracks of playback easily allow multi-channel surround mixes to be reproduced with astonishing clarity. Integrated editing, mixing and project management allow the engineer to control an entire production from their fingertips.
Project Studio Recording
From the Portastudio to high-end professional solutions, TASCAM is well-known for innovative, all-in-one production workstations integrating recording and mixing in one box. The X-48 allows a small studio to combine 48-track, 96kHz/24-bit recording with powerful automated mixing for results never before possible at this price point.
The editing screen of the X-48 uses a familiar DAW interface, with snap-to-grid editing, crossfade and plug-in features professionals demand. The internal mixer is a 60-input digital system with 32-bit floating-point resolution. Each channel provides 4-band parametric EQ, dynamics processing and four VST plug-in insert slots. Best of all, the X-48 is configured out of the box for pro audio recording. There's nothing to install or troubleshoot - just plug it in, turn it on and press record.
- 48-track digital recording at up to 96kHz/24-bit
- 32-bit floating point audio file recording and playback with no loss of track count
- Advanced integrated synchronization and machine control, including HDTV tri-level sync
- Time-stamped Broadcast WAVE file format
- Front-panel transport, track arming, project management and metering functions
- Built-in 80GB hard drive
- Built-in DVD+RW for backup, transfer and restore
- ±6% varispeed
- Grid-style editing
- Turn-key operation: no software conflicts to troubleshoot
- Graphic user interface for editing, mixing, plug-ins and meters
- 48-channel mixing
- 32-bit floating point mixer resolution
- 6 stereo returns (60 total inputs at mixdown)
- 12 stereo groups, 6 aux sends, stereo master buss
- Full dynamic automation
- Dynamics, 4-band parametric EQ and 4 VST plug-in inserts per channel
- TDIF: 6 x 25-pin (female) D-sub connectors conform to TDIF-1 standard
- S/PDIF IN/OUT: 2 x RCA pin jacks (input/output impedance 75ohm) IEC60958 data format
- Word sync in: BNC connector, switchable 75ohm termination, TTL level
- Word sync out/thru: 2 x BNC connector, TTL level
- Video IN/THRU: 2 x BNC connector, tri-level signal supported
- MIDI IN/OUT: 2 x 5-pin DIN connectors, conform to MIDI specifications
- Time code IN/OUT: 2 x 1/4" TRS jacks, conform to SMPTE specifications
- Foot switch: 1/4" TS jack
- Remote (for Sony 9-pin): 9-pin female D-sub connector, wired to RS-422 standards
- USB: 4 x USB 2.0 'A' type connectors
- 10/100/1000: RJ45 LAN connector, 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX/1000BASE-TX
- 10/100: RJ45 LAN connector, 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX Ethernet
- VGA: 15-pin female Dsub VGA connector
- Mouse: PS/2 Mouse port
- Keyboard: PS/2 Keyboard port
- FireWire 1/2: IEEE1394 6-pin connector, IEEE1394a
- Maximum overall dimensions (W x D x H): 19" x 17.3" x 7.3" (483 mm x 439 mm x 184 mm)
- Weight:30.2lbs (13.7kg)
- Voltage requirements: 120VAC, 60Hz; 230VAC, 50Hz; 240VAC, 50Hz
- Power consumption: 150W
- Supplied accessories: power cord, owner's manual, quick reference guide