Why Shop With Us?
Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.Learn More
2-Year Free Warranty on Guitars
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.Contact Us for Details
We're Here for You
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.Contact Us
MON - FRI 5 AM - 9 PM PT
SAT - SUN 6 AM - 7 PM PT
Tube-Tech SMC 2B Stereo Multi-Band Compressortrue true
Musician's Friend Rewards
This oversized item has special shipping requirements
- Free Shipping
- Flexible Financing
- Lowest Price
Gold Coverage Protection
Protect your gear
Gold Coverage Protection
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
The mix-bus compressor of choice for Grammy Award-winning producers and engineers.
Tube-Tech SCM 2B Stereo Multi-band Compressor, First Take:
Multi-bandband compression and variable crossover points let you craft your overall mix
Three independent stereo optocompressors
Flat frequency response across all three bands
Balanced I/O and floating transformers
the Tube-Tech SCM 2B's variable crossover points ensure precise control with all three bands of optocompression. Independent band specific Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release & Gain parameters make the SMC 2B as flexible as it is accurate. For example, a stereo compressor can squash and muddy the midrange of rock records. With the SMC 2B, you can add just the slightest compression to the midrange where the guitars live to keep them vibrant and lively. The adjustable crossover points allows you to set the low-frequency range so that the bass on dance tracks won't get over-compressed.
Three Stereo Optocompressors
The Tube-Tech SMC 2B Stereo Multiband Compressor features three independent optical stereo compressors. The signal is divided into three bands (Low, Mid & High) by 6 dB/octave x-over networks with variable frequencies: 60-1200 Hz for Low/Mid band and 1,2-6 kHz for the Mid/High band.
Flat Frequency Response
The design of the crossover networks optimizes the summing of all three bands, resulting in a flat frequency response (within +/-0.25 dB), when the gain controls for each band are set at the same level. The three compressors feature Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release and Gain and a display showing gain reduction. Master levels are set with Output Gain and Balance controls.
Balanced I/O and Floating Transformers
Both Input and Output are balanced and have fully floating transformers with a static screen, which provides the greatest amount of electronic isolation for elimination of ground loops, resulting in super-quiet operation. The power supply and the sidechain circuit are based on a solid state circuit. With the exception of the output stage all DC voltages are stabilized.
For over twenty years, Tube Tech has been one of the most prominent names in all-tube signal processing equipment. You'll find their gear in the best recording and mastering studios around the world. The company's founder, John Petersen is an electrical engineer who was factory trained at Solid State Logic, EMT, Studer, Sony, Neumann, and NTP Electonik (digital audio routers). He also designed tape recorder playback/recording amps for Lyrec tape recorders (found in the studios of the legendary Joe Meek and Vangelis). His first design under the name of Tube-Tech was an all-tube equalizer based on the legendary Pultec EQP 1A. Petersen continued to design and manufacture a number of innovative all-tube outboard processors including preamps, multiband compressors and summing amps. Thanks to John's dedication to high-quality analog sound you'll see Tube-Tech gear in the racks of pro audio legends such as multi Grammy Award winner Al Schmitt, (Frank Sinatra, Steely Dan, Toto, Quincy Jones, Natalie Cole, Diana Krall), Grammy winner Joe Chiccarelli, (Elton John, Beck, U2, Tori Amos, Counting Crows, Offspring), engineer Russ Long (Sixpence None The Richer, Wilco, Dolly Parton, Allison Moorer), producer-engineer Tony Shepperd (Elton John, Madonna, Kenny Loggins, Barbra Streisand, Lionel Richie, and Whitney Houston), and many more.
- The world's only "all tube based" multiband compressor design
- Three bands per channel with variable crossover frequencies between bands
- Stereo sidechain with variable Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release and Gain controls for all three bands
- Master Output Gain (off to +10 dB)
- Balance Control (+/-1,5 dB)
- LED display showing compression
- Freq. response @ -3 dB: 5 Hz to 60 kHz
- Low noise: < -60 dBu @10 dB gain
Conductive plastic potentiometers
- Clickless bypass relay
You'll be hard pressed to find any multiband compressor that can rival the SMC 2B for mastering or a larger than life sound!
SMC 2B Stereo Multi-Band Compressor Specifications:
- Input Impedance: 2 kohm
- Output Impedance: 60 ohm
- Frequency response @ -3 dB: 5 Hz to 60 kHz
- Distortion THD+N @ 40 Hz: 0 dBu 0.15 %, +10 dBu: 0.15 %
- Noise Rg=200 ohm: 22 Hz-22 kHz; -70 dBu (Output Gain @ 0dB ), -60 dBu (Output Gain @ +10 dB): CCIR-468-4; -60 dBu (Output Gain @ 0dB), -50 dBu (Output Gain @ +10 dB)
- Cross talk @ 10 kHz: -40 dB
- CMRR @ 10 kHz: -60 dB
- Max. output @ 1 % THD+N: > +26 dBu
- Gain Output: off to +10 dB; Low-, Mid-, & High band; off to +10 dB
- Tracking between channels: 0,5 dB
- X-over frequencies: Low & Mid band: 60 to 300 Hz (x1); 0.24 to 1.2 kHz (x4)
- Mid & High band: 1.2 to 6 kHz (x1)
- Compressor Ratio: 1,5:1 to 10:1
- Compressor Threshold: off to -20 dBu
- Compressor Attack: 3 ms to 200 ms
- Compressor Release: 60 ms to 2 s
- Tubes: ECC 81 4 pc, ECC 82 2 pc. ECC 83 2 pc
- Dimensions H x W x D: 5.2" x 19" x 8.1" (132 mm x 480 mm x 205 mm)
- Weight: 13.7 lbs (6.2 kg)
- Power requirements @ 115 V/230 V, 50-60 Hz: 30-45 W
- Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
- Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.