- Write a Review
Incredible classic-rock tones with built-in reverb.
The Black Cat 40 houses two EL34's, Class A power section, and it presents itself sonically as bold, aggressive and with plenty of grunt and punch. Glassy highs riding over the top of the complex mids. The Black Cat 40 has two footswitchable channels.
Channel one is 12AX7 based with a standard bass and treble tone stack. This channel is warm with punchy tight mids and lows. Channel one produces thick and richly complex tones with just the right amount of high-end glass sitting on top. Great for chunky rhythms or ˜70s-style crunch tones. Engage the master volume, which can be switched in or out of the channel circuit, to get stage-friendly drive. Each channel has its own master that can be switched in or out.
Channel two is where this amp steps into its own. EF86 pre-amp pushed into either a five-way tone selector or a bass and treble tone stack, giving this amp a great flexibility in tone shaping. The five-way selector is a five-tone capacitor bank, that it switchable in five different values. Five different levels of low and mid control, gives you the ability to bypass the tone stack and essentially plug into the output power section. There is a three dimensional hi-fi feel to the sound. The mids are moved slightly forward and the highs become more transparent and clear. The amp sits in your hands more like an instrument.
Switch over to the bass and treble tone stack and get a sweeter more scooped type of tone. Beautiful cleans are to be had here, clear with lots of shimmer. Engage the master volume for channel two and push this is aggressive rock territory. Single note lines drip in harmonics, notes bloom and sing and allow you to play the amp like you would your guitar. Dual reverb controls and half power switch round out the features.
- Made in USA
- Power: 40W (tube)
- Tubes: one 12AX7 (pre-amp 1); one EF86 (pre-amp 2); two EL34 (power amp)
- Solid-state rectifier
- Two channels
- Built-in reverb
- Half-power switch
- FX loop
- Impedance: 4, 8, 16Î
- Dimensions: 9.25" x 20.75" x 10.5"
- Weight: 39 lbs.
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.