- Product H92167
Fender American Vintage '63 Precision Bass
3-Color Sunburst Rosewood Fingerboard
- Write a Review
The American Vintage series introduces an all-new lineup of original-era model year guitars and basses that bring Fender history and heritage to auth...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
A re-imagined version of a classic Fender bass restored to the way it was when it was introduced all those years ago.
The American Vintage series introduces an all-new lineup of original-era model year guitars and basses that bring Fender history and heritage to authentic and exciting new life. With key features and pivotal design elements spanning the mid-1950s to the mid-1960s, new American Vintage series instruments delve deep into Fender's roots--expertly preserving an innovative U.S. guitar-making legacy and vividly demonstrating like never before that Fender not only knows where it's going, but also remembers where it came from.
The American Vintage Series has long presented some of Fender's best-selling guitars and basses (their early-'80s introduction, in fact, was one of the first signs that Fender was "back" as the CBS era ended). Today, Fender has boldly cleared the slate to make way for a fresh American Vintage series with new features, new specs and the most meticulous level of vintage accuracy yet. Rather than just replacing the previous models with different ones, Fender has completely and comprehensively re-imagined the entire vintage-reissue concept--restoring original tooling dies, voicing new pickups, reformulating vintage colors and more--based on actual vintage guitars and basses they tracked down to make sure they had it right. Fender did the work, and it shows, because there's pure magic in each new American Vintage instrument.
The year 1963 marks an important moment in Precision Bass history, because that's when a comfortable new round-laminated rosewood fingerboard first appeared on the bass that started it all. That's here on the new American Vintage '63 Precision Bass, which evokes that year's model with other authentic features including a slightly wider "C"-shaped maple neck, clay-colored dot position inlays, three-ply mint green pickguard(four-ply tortoiseshell pickguard on 3-Color Sunburst model), new American Vintage '63 split single-coil pickup, lower-mounted finger rest, vintage-style bridge with threaded steel "barrel" saddles, flat-top knurled chrome control knobs, reverse tuners, chrome pickup and bridge covers, auxiliary strap button on the back of the headstock, and more. Includes case.
- Alder body
- Fender flash coat lacquer body and neck finish
- Maple, "C"-shape neck
- Round-laminated rosewood fingerboard
- 20, Vintage-style frets
- Bone string nut
- Vintage-style heel adjust truss rod
- American Vintage '63 Precision Bass split single-coil pickup
- American Vintage reverse open-gear tuning machines
- Volume, Tone controls
- Knurled chrome flat-top control knobs
- American Vintage Bass bridge with threaded steel "barrel" saddles
- Nickel/Chrome hardware
- 4-Ply Tortoiseshell pickguard on 3-Color Sunburst; 3-Ply Mint Green pickguard on Olympic White, Faded Sonic Blue and Frost Red
- Other Features: Mounted Chrome Pickup and Bridge Covers, Lower-Mounted Finger Rest, Clay-Colored Dot Position Inlays, Auxiliary Strap Button on Back of Headstock
- Includes case
Way to be with a '63.
American Vintage '63 Precision Bass
- Fingerboard radius: 7.25" (18.41 cm)
Scale Length: 34" (86.36 cm)
Nut Width: 1.74" (44.19 mm)
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
Reviewed by 2 customers
Displaying reviews 1-2
- Fun To Play
- Good Feel
- Good Pick Up
- Good Tone
- Solid Electronics
- Fret Buzz
- Small Venues
Comments about Fender American Vintage '63 Precision Bass:
Overall a nice example of the classic Precision bass. I was a little disappointed in the look of the sonic blue though I think that is a highly personal assessment. Some precision fans might love it. The laquer finish gives it a vintage feel and the playablity and tone are what you would expect from a 1963 recreation. It could have benefitted from a set of flat wounds which would be more in keeping with the character of a Fender bass from that era. I picked this up as a scratch and dent and the price was more in line with what a bass like this should cost. I think a much better choice is the Fender Deluxe Active Special Okoume Precision due to the price, features and tonal options. Though I don't own this model I have played it and was very impressed. If you're going to spend $2000 for a Precision Bass you should consider going the extra mile for a Fender Custom Shop or boutique P style bass.
Comments about Fender American Vintage '63 Precision Bass:
Recording, live show