- J32650 000001000 J32650000001000
Taylor 500 Series 552ce Grand Concert 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar
- Write a Review
Taylor's revitalized 500 Series mahogany guitars are brimming with appealing refinements, starting with new bracing that boosts the volume, low-end r...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
A dark, warm 12-string with a vintage vibe and modern electronics.
Taylor's revitalized 500 Series mahogany guitars are brimming with appealing refinements, starting with new bracing that boosts the volume, low-end richness and projection, while also making the guitars more responsive. Western Red Cedar tops respond with warmth and richness. Refined aesthetic appointments add to the elegant charm of these models. All 500 Series instruments ship in a deluxe hard shell case made by Taylor for optimal fit and protection.
Taylor's Grand Concert is slightly smaller that its Grand Auditorium and yields controlled overtones, so the sound won't occupy a lot of sonic space. This is often a key consideration when other instruments are in the mix, such as in a performance or recording environment, and it allows the guitar to be heard more clearly. The Grand Concert pairs well with both 14-fret and 12-fret neck-to-body construction, and offers an articulate voice with top-end chime. It's perfect for fingerstyle players and light strummers, though flatpickers are known to enjoy its tonal character too. Its intimate size makes it lap/couch-friendly, and a great fit for players who find smaller instruments more physically comfortable.
Tone Wood Pairing
A guitar's top is the primary filter and distributor of vibrating string energy through the guitar, which means it has a huge impact on its sound. Western Red Cedar is less dense than spruce and as a result produces a warm, played-in sound. It's midrange bloom adds a nice complexity to the guitar's tone, and it responds best to a lighter picking/strumming attack. Tropical mahogany is known for a meaty midrange featuring a strong fundamental without adding a lot of ringing overtones. It responds well to players with a strong attack who like dry, earthy, lo-fi sounds. It has a natural compression that smooths out strumming and picking technique. Mahogany's clear and direct tonal character makes it a great option for playing and standing out among other instruments.
Taylor's ES2 is a revolutionary pickup design that delivers the latest in Taylor’s ongoing innovation in acoustic guitar amplification. The heart of the Expression System 2 is Taylor’s patented behind-the-saddle pickup, which features three uniquely positioned and individually calibrated pickup sensors. Because the pickup doesn't sit under the saddle, the bottom of the saddle comes in full contact with the bridge, allowing all the nuance of the guitar's tone to come through clearly whether playing acousticly or plugged-in. The location of the sensors enables a more dynamic range of acoustic sound to be captured than ever before while playing plugged-in. Together with Taylor’s custom-designed “professional audio”-grade preamp, this system produces exceptional amplified tone and responsiveness. On stage through a PA, plugged into your favorite acoustic amplifier, or direct into recording software, the Expression System 2 faithfully conveys the voice of your Taylor guitar. The Taylor Expression System 2 operates through a proprietary 9-volt battery compartment and easy-to-use volume, bass and treble controls.
Building remarkable 12-strings is part of Taylor's heritage. Their ease-of-play, their neck stability, their intonation and their overall tone has made them the most popular 12-strings on the market. Taylor's slim neck profile and New Technology ("NT") neck system allow precise and low action, resulting in the most comfortable "handfeel" possible in a 12-string guitar. The 500 Series 12-fret designs may be the most comfortable, playable Taylor 12-string to date.
What sets Taylor Guitars apart? Unmatched build quality, the most stable and playable necks, a vast array of tonal options, eco-conscious and ethically-sourced raw materials, and a lifetime of service and support.
- Body type: Taylor 12-Fret Grand Concert
- Cutaway: Yes - Venetian
- Top wood: Solid Western Red Cedar
- Back & sides: Solid Tropical Mahogany
- Bracing pattern: Taylor Performance Bracing (Forward Shift with Relief Rout)
- Body finish: Gloss 6.0
- Orientation: Right-Handed
- Neck shape: Taylor Standard Profile
- Nut width: 1-7/8" (47.6mm)
- Fingerboard: Genuine African Ebony
- Neck wood: Tropical Mahogany
- Scale length: 24-7/8"
- Number of frets: 18
- Neck finish: Satin
- Pickup/preamp: Expression System 2 Professional Audio-Grade
- Brand: Taylor
- Configuration: Behind-the-Saddle Transducer with Adjustable Sensors
- Preamp EQ: Volume, Bass, Treble
- Feedback filter: Onboard Phase Switch
- Tuner: None
- Headstock overlay: Genuine African Ebony
- Tuning machines: Taylor Nickel Tuners with Nickel Buttons
- Bridge: Genuine African Ebony
- Saddle & nut: Micarta "Wave" Saddle; Tusq Nut
- Number of strings: 12
- Special features: Faux-Tortoise-Bound Sound Hole
- Case: Taylor Deluxe Hard Shell Case
- Accessories: None
- Country of origin: USA
Order this special 2016 Taylor today!
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.