- Product 581999
M-Audio Studiophile DSM3 Powered Studio Monitor (Each)
- Write a Review
The Studiophile DSM3 studio monitor is engineered to provide superior monitoring to discerning audio professionals. The design results from collabora...Click To Read More About This Product
We're sorry-this item is unavailable.
Find a similar product below or contact our experts for a recommendation of great alternatives. Call us at 800-449-9128.Customers Also Viewed:
High-resolution DSP studio monitor with dual 6.5" LF drivers, onboard digital EQ control, and more.
The Studiophile DSM3 studio monitor is engineered to provide superior monitoring to discerning audio professionals. The design results from collaboration between two powerhouse companies in music technology: M-Audio, a top U.S. manufacturer of studio monitors, and Digidesign, an industry leader in DSP technology. The DSM3 monitor features DSP-based crossover management, an assortment of onboard digital EQ controls, proprietary high-grade driver designs, plus analog and digital inputs for high-resolution audio up to 24-bit/192kHz. A hybrid midwoofer-tweeter-midwoofer (MTM) design delivers the sound of a larger monitor plus the flexibility of horizontal or vertical positioning. With stunning accuracy, clarity and dynamic range, the M-Audio Studiophile DSM3 monitor makes world-class reference technology accessible to a broad array of creative and professional environments.
Redefining the World-Class Near-Field Monitor Speaker
Over the last 20 years, M-Audio has achieved critical acclaim across diverse lines of music production tools. Much of this success is due to the fact that each product group operates like a small boutique shop within the organization. The Los Angeles-based engineering team that designed the industry-leading Studiophile line applied their expertise to the DSM drivers, power amps, cabinetry, and electronics. Along the way, they worked with top recording engineers and producers to refine the Studiophile DSM monitors for optimal performance.
M-Audio engineers worked closely with their counterparts at sister company Digidesign to bring their experience to the Studiophile DSM3 monitor. The powerful onboard DSP engine controls a complex 4th-order digital crossover. It also provides clear and accurate audio imaging by compensating for phase differences between the tweeter and woofers at the crossover point—delivering perfect acoustic alignment and exceptional imaging. And, as a result of exhaustive tuning and listening sessions, the DSM3 monitor speaker provides incredible tonal accuracy, excellent dynamic range, and exceptionally low distortion.
Tailor the Speaker to Your Room
Your listening environment and speaker placement greatly impact monitor performance. To ensure optimal monitoring in your studio, the onboard DSP also manages a broad range of customizable performance filter settings that allow you to tailor each speaker to your room. DSM3 offers DSP-controlled high-and-low frequency roll-offs along with an assortment of EQ settings from acoustic space to Q that help optimize the speaker for placement within even the most difficult acoustic environments.
To ensure the greatest sonic clarity, the Studiophile DSM3 monitor features two custom-designed, 6.5" anodized aluminum cone woofers that actively reduce distortion by pushing the break-up mode out of the pass band for maximum low-frequency detail at any volume level. The 1-inch ferrofluid-cooled Neodymium tweeter is made of a soft Teteron dome, which strikes the perfect balance between efficiency and damping to produce a controlled high-frequency breakup out to 27kHz. The drivers and their carefully matched power amps provide a wide 37Hz-27kHz frequency response and outstanding dynamic range, ensuring that you hear an accurate representation of your audio at all volumes.
Dual Woofer Design
The M-Audio Studiophile DSM3 monitor utilizes a unique hybrid midwoofer-tweeter-midwoofer (MTM) vertical array. In an MTM design, the dual midwoofers provide the surface area of a much larger speaker, while also providing greater heat dissipation that delivers better power handling. The DSM3 monitor embellishes this design by placing the woofers closer together—significantly reducing comb filtering artifacts and reducing the monitor's profile and form factor. While positioning a traditional MTM monitor on its side puts the tweeter too close to the console surface and increases reflections, the DSM3 features an offset tweeter that delivers optimal performance when using either horizontal or vertical monitor placement. This makes the DSM3 monitor ideal for center as well as right and left channels—especially in smaller studios and/or environments where sightlines to video screens must be preserved. This unique design offers pristine imaging and a wide radiation pattern while giving you and your colleagues much more flexibility of placement and use.
Strategically Integrated Design
Each component in the DSM3 monitor is customized to deliver outstanding sound quality in a compact form factor. Featuring an exclusive design, the sturdy cabinet is constructed from high-density material with internal bracing that renders it acoustically inert. The tuned bass-reflex dual-sided flared port offers increased SPL with extended bass response and low turbulence, while the carefully matched Class D power amps deliver ample power with low distortion and excellent efficiency. The custom-voiced components ensure hours of accurate listening without fatigue. The professional analog and digital inputs support studio-grade audio resolutions up to 24-bit/192kHz, revealing every detail that you've created with your digital audio workstation.
Far beyond the industry standards, the DSM3 monitor speaker design endures a strenuous 100-hour continuous pink noise qualification process, ensuring its reliability in the harshest studio environments. This 100-hour reliability test starts with each individual driver design. Once each driver design successfully passes, the entire assembly is qualified as a system via the same 100-hour process. This highly rigorous design qualification process ensures that the DSM3 monitors will perform at the highest level for hours on end every time you turn them on.
- Hybrid midwoofer-tweeter-midwoofer (MTM) design reduces comb filtering artifacts, resulting in improved crossover performance and pristine imaging
- Dual 6.5" (203.2mm) custom low-frequency drivers with anodized aluminum cones provide exceptionally low distortion
- 1" (25.4mm) Teteron soft fabric, high-frequency dome with Neodymium magnet, ferrofluid cooling and built-in heat sink—accurate to 27kHz with minimized power compression
- Onboard DSP manages the complex digital crossover for pristine imaging
- DSP-based EQ and Acoustic Space Controls optimize frequency response for any production environment
- Custom bass-reflex dual-sided flared port delivers controlled extended bass response with reduced turbulence
- High-density cabinet yields good damping and reduced acoustic interference
- Professional digital inputs (up to 24-bit/192kHz): S/PDIF and AES
- Balanced analog inputs: XLR and 1/4"
Studiophile DSM3 Powered Studio Monitor (Each)
- Frequency response: 37Hz-27kHz
- Peak SPL at 1 meter: 111dB
- Low-frequency driver: 2 x 6.5" (203.2mm) domeless anodized aluminum cone
- High-frequency driver: 1" (25.4mm) soft Teteron dome with Neodymium magnet and ferrofluid cooling
- Crossover frequency: 2.7kHz @ 24dB/octave
- HF shelf: +1.5dB, -1.5dB, -3.0dB
- Mid EQ: +1.5dB, -1.5dB, -3.0dB
- High-pass filter: 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz @ 12dB/octave
- Acoustic Space Control filter: -1.5dB, -3.0dB, -4.5dB
- Desk EQ Filter 1: -1.0dB, -2.0dB, -3.0dB @ 220Hz
- Desk EQ Filter 2: -1.0dB, -2.0dB, -3.0dB @ 175Hz
- Desk EQ Filter 3: -1.0dB, -2.0dB, -3.0dB @ 200Hz
- Analog inputs: XLR balanced and 1/4" balanced
- Digital inputs: S/PDIF and AES/EBU (up to 24-bit/192kHz)
- Input impedance: 20kOhms
- Input sensitivity: +4dBu yields 90dB @ 1 meter (trim level set to 0)
- Gain trim: volume trim from -22dB to +10dB
- analog-to-digital specifications
- Maximum input level: 18dBu
- Signal-to-noise ratio: 102dB (A-weighted)
- THN + noise: 92dB
- Conversion rate: 96kHz
- Digital power amplifier
- Output power (1% THD): LF: 100W, HF: 80W
- THD + noise (10W, 1kHz): < 0.05%
- Signal-to-noise ratio: 100dB (A-weighted)
- Frequency response (+0, -3dB): 20Hz-40kHz
- Efficiency: > 90%
- Dimensions: 16" (407mm) x 10.6" (270.3mm) x 10.3" (262mm)
- Weight: 23.5 lb. (10.6 kg)
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
Well now, I picked up a pair off these recently and all I can say is that I'm really impressed. I've got four other brands of monitors running in my studio, and these set the standard for accuracy, clarity, and imaging. They aren't particularly "pretty" to listen on... don't choose them just to hang and listen to tunes, but if you want to hear whats going on (like being able to listen to all the backing vocalists as individuals) then the DSM3s might just be what you're looking for.
Controls six ways to sunday, and lots of input options.
Solid so far... with nice fit & finish.
I got a killer deal on these, so I'm especially happy.