More Info About Free 2-Day Standard Ground ShippingClose Window
- J15269 000001000 J15269000001000
Neumann TLM 170 R Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone
- Write a Review
Described as honest and pristine with incredible fidelity, the Neumann TLM 170 R condenser microphone is a large diaphragm microphone with five selec...Read More
Five selectable polar patterns with extremely low self-noise and impressive dynamic range.
Described as honest and pristine with incredible fidelity, the Neumann TLM 170 R condenser microphone is a large diaphragm microphone with five selectable polar patterns. Its sound has a very transparent characteristic, in contrast to some of Neumann's other microphones which have a distinct personality. It features extremely low self-noise and an impressive dynamic range. Therefore, this microphone is used for many diverse applications in professional recording studios, broadcasting, film and television, and for semi-professional productions. The polar patterns can be selected either at the microphone itself, or controlled remotely through the optional N 248 power supply (sold separately).
The microphone is addressed from the front, marked with the Neumann logo. The large diaphragm capsule inside the headgrille has a very smooth frequency response for all polar patterns over a wide acceptance angle. The curves are flat and parallel to the 0 frequency curve up to 10kHz within an angle of ± 100. As a result, the TLM 170 R has a very even diffuse-field response for all polar patterns. This is important in a reverberant environment, as more reflections arrive at the microphone from different directions. The acoustic information is not affected in its tonal quality when recorded by the microphone. This characteristic is achieved without resorting to corrective resonance effects. Therefore, the microphone maintains an excellent impulse response reproducing all transient phenomena of music and speech without any coloration. The capsule is elastically mounted to avoid any structure borne noise that could interfere with its operation.
In addition to the usual directional polar patterns: omnidirectional, cardioid, and figure-8, Neumann has added a hypercardioid and wide-angle cardioid characteristic. When compared to the standard cardioid pattern, the hypercardioid characteristic suppresses sound from the side more efficiently. The wide-angle polar pattern is especially useful to record large sound sources.
The letters TLM stand for "transformerless microphone". With TLM technology the usual output transformer is replaced by an electronic circuit. As with traditional transformers, it ensures good common mode rejection, and prevents RF interference, that may influence the balanced audio signal.
Use on tripods
The TLM 170 R is provided with a tilting side bracket to attach the microphone to booms or stands. The bracket is equipped with rubber elements that effectively protect the microphone from mechanical shock. If necessary, it can be mounted on the other side of the microphone as well.
Filter and attenuation
The TLM 170 R microphone has a 10dB attenuation switch to prevent the input of the following unit from being overloaded. A second switch at the rear allows attenuation of the frequencies below 100Hz to suppress undesired structure-borne noise.
All exposed surfaces of the capsule, including the diaphragms, are at ground potential. This technology makes them highly immune to electrical and atmospheric interference and contamination through dust particles.
- Local and remote-controlled large diaphragm microphone
- Pressure-gradient transducer with double membrane capsule
- Five directional characteristics: omni, wide angle cardioid, cardioid, hypercardioid, figure-8
- Patented circuitry for remote and local switching of directional characteristics
- Switchable low frequency roll-off and 10 dB preattenuation
- Tiltable, elastically suspended bracket mount, dust cover and wooden box included
- Acoustical operating principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional pattern: Omnidirectional, wide angle cardioid, cardioid, hypercardioid, figure-8
- Frequency range: 20Hz-20kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kilohm: 8 mV/Pa
- Rated impedance: 50 ohms
- Rated load impedance: 1 kohms
- Equivalent noise level, CCIR1): 26 dB
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted1): 14 dB-A
- Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR1) (rel. 94 dB SPL): 68 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted1)(rel. 94 dB SPL): 80 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%2): 144 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5% with preattenuation2): 154 dB
- Maximum output voltage: 10 dBu
- Supply voltage (P48, IEC 61938): 48V ± 4V
- Current consumption (P48, IEC 61938): 3 mA
- Matching connector: XLR3F
- Weight: 625 g
- Diameter: 60 mm
- Length: 152 mm
Neumann is a name you can trust for great fidelity. Order today!