- Product 600291
Tapco S-5 Active Studio Monitor Pair
- Write a Review
Mackie's uncompromising monitor design expertise is obvious in these professional active desktop monitors. Featuring dual high-precision internal amp...Click To Read More About This Product
We're sorry-this item is unavailable.
Find a similar product below or contact our experts for a recommendation of great alternatives. Call us at 800-449-9128.Customers Also Viewed:
The "S" in "S-5" stands for "superior" sound.
Mackie's uncompromising monitor design expertise is obvious in these professional active desktop monitors. Featuring dual high-precision internal amplifiers for punchy bass, extremely detailed mids, and a wide, sweet high-end, the "S" in "S-5" stands for "superior" to everything in its class.
Exceptional sonic performance
The S-5 active studio monitors may be small, but they're designed to be transparent, producing uncolored sound for critical desktop monitoring in home recording studios, video editing suites, and home theater systems. The Tapco S-5's two-way bass reflex design provides an amazingly flat frequency response and benefits from complete system integration with active crossovers, dual 60-watt power amplifiers, precision drivers (5.25-inch LF, 1-inch HF) and a custom-tuned, ported cabinet.
Adjustable, to work any room
Every room is different. Variables like size and shape, furniture, doors and windows, carpeted or wood floors, and where you sit when you listen, all combine to determine what you hear. With the S-5, TAPCO included some fine calibration controls to let you adjust the low (+2, +4 dB below 100Hz) and high (+/- 2dB above 5kHz) frequency response to correct any bad influences caused by the room. More importantly, these controls help to ensure that the great sounds you get with the S-5 also sound great on your home stereo, in the car, and anywhere else your music is played.
Protecting your investment
The S-5 monitors are tuned to maximize efficiency, but they can get hot when used in the real world. If the electronics get too hot, separate thermal switches activate and shut down the high and/or low frequency amplifiers until they cool down. An over-excursion filter, just before the low frequency amplifier protects the woofer from shredding itself when the low-end is driven to the maximum. These extra protections ensure long life and monitors you can count on to have your back at all times. Magnetic shielding will protect your computer display or television from being permanently tweaked from the powerful magnets found inside the S-5.
- Mackie-designed active desktop monitors with dual high-precision internal amplifiers
- 5.25-inch woofer delivers punchy bass output and extremely detailed midrange
- 1-inch waveguide-loaded silk dome tweeter for smooth, non-fatiguing mix sessions
- Low-Frequency Boost and High-Frequency Boost/Cut controls allow for acoustic tailoring
- Balanced TRS/XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs
- Free Field Frequency Response: +64 Hz 20 kHz (±3 dB)
- Lower Cutoff Frequency: +3 dB @ 64 Hz
- Upper Cutoff Frequency: +3 dB @ 22 kHz
- Sound Pressure Level @ 1 meter, 7.5 dBu into Balanced Input: 100 dB SPL @ 1m
- Maximum SPL Per Pair: 113 dB SPL @ 1m
- Low Frequency: 5.25 in/133 mm with steel frame, polypropylene cone woofer
- High Frequency: Wave guide loaded 1 in/25 mm silk dome tweeter
- Low Frequency Power: 60 watts, 4-ohm load, 100 watts peak
- High Frequency Power: 60 watts, 4-ohm load, 100 watts peak
- Slew Rate: > 15 V/microsecond
- Distortion (THD, SMPTE IMD, DIM 100): < 0.035%
- Low Frequency: > 101 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, unweighted, referenced to 60 watts into 4 ohms
- High Frequency: > 93 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, unweighted, referenced to 60 watts into 4 ohms
- Type: Monolithic IC, Class AB
- Crossover Type: 24 dB/octave
- Crossover Frequency: 4 kHz
- Sensitivity: +4 dBu at 300 Hz for full output
- Input Impedance: 20 kOhms, balanced bridging; 10 kOhms unbalanced
Reviewed by 5 customers
Displaying reviews 1-5
I have used S-5 for some time and I didn't like them at all. The sound is unclear and muddy, I really couldn't tell what is going on in my mixes. When I got new and more expensive speakers, I immediately noticed many things that I hadn't heard before. They are better than laptop speakers, but I didn't even like them for listening to the music. I wouldn't recommend S-5 even if you are low on budget, buy high quality headphones instead.
- Was this a gift?:
man, these things are terrible. i had them for quite some time and it took massive effort to ever get good mixes out of them. they sound muddy, dead and just not good. maybe with the subwoofer you could actually mix something with low end but without it they are pretty much worthless. spend some extra $ and get some KRK's instead.
It took me a while to catch on, but I realized after using these for a couple years that I wasn't getting any bass below 50 or 60 Hz. I can hear better bass response on my cheap 12" Kustom cabinets. The high end is also pretty soft on these. Normally I like a soft high end, but any time I'd hear my mixes on other monitors, I realized that I just couldn't hear the top octave or two on my Tapco's.. Somewhat disappointed. Also, one of my monitors blew out for NO reason :( just made a loud pop when I wasn't even playing music, and now I gotta get it repaired. Out of warranty. Major bummer. I'll probably keep them and use them for iPod music somewhere, and get better ones to mix with.
I tested these out at guitar center before I bought them here, I liked them alot better than the KRK's I heard and most other ones, there were better speakers there but for the price these were the best sounding ones. The mids highs are very clear and they have plenty of bass extension for my room. I watch movies with these and OMG its incredible better than the theatres.
I bought a pair of these to go in my home music production studio, and I wasn't too satisfied with the low end. My kicks wasn't hitting correctly when I played a drum track from my MPC. The build is pretty solid, they don't look too bad, would fit pretty good if you have a sub already, but if you are looking for bass and nice punch in a small package I strongly recommend you to test these in store before you purchase them.