- Product J16057
Fox Model 680 Bassoon
Red Maple German Bell
- Write a Review
The Model 680 is the newest professional bassoon from Fox. Designed for versatility, the 680 provides the most power and depth of all the 600 series ...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
Irreproachable quality, utterly magnificent.
The Model 680 is the newest professional bassoon from Fox. Designed for versatility, the 680 provides the most power and depth of all the 600 series bassoons and improves upon the singing, expressive tonal characteristics of the older designs. The 680 has a dark, concentrated, clear tone, as well as a vast dynamic range to meet the needs of the most discriminating professional in every application. Available with French or German bell, choice of red maple or mountain maple.
- Standard Features
- Select, aged Mountain or Red Maple body
- French (metal ring) or German (white ring) bell
- Natural rubber lining in the wing and small bore of the boot
- Keywork made of nickel silver with heavy silver plating
- Nickel silver water tubes extending into the bore
- Standard Keywork
- Full German Key System
- High D key
- High E key
- Right hand whisper key lock (rotary style)
- Rollers for right little finger F & A (flat)
- Rollers for left little finger E (flat) & D (flat)
- High A bridge to whisper key
A fairly priced professional instrument.
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
Reviewed by 2 customers
Displaying reviews 1-2
- Build Quality
- Fox Customer Service
- Chamber Music
- Chamber Orchestra
- Large Orchestras
- Wind Band
I purchased this bassoon back in 2014, and since then have used it heavily in chamber music, large orchestras, and wind bands. This bassoon model is a variance in the other 600 series model Fox bassoons. The model 680 can be considered a hybrid between the 660 and 201. It has thicker walls in the bass joint allowing for a powerful low register and a thinner tenor joint to allow a clear, easy responding mid - high register. Fox experimented with adjusting some of the locations of the tone holes in hopes to create a more "in tune" instrument and they accomplished that with the 680. The low register on this instrument is one of the most in tune on any bassoon I have tried.
Arguably the only downside to this instrument is the clear tone of the tenor register. Solos like the second movement in Tchaikovsky's 4th symphony don't have the strained quality that might be heard in other bassoons which make the solo so moving. However, this is an opinion and will vary person to person. It can also be adjusted with different bocals and reed style.
The advantage of buying any Fox bassoon, of course, is the local customer service (should you live in the United States). When buying any new Fox bassoon you are allowed to have it serviced for free within one year of purchase date. The staff at Fox are very professional and easy to work with. They will go out of there was to answer any questions you may have and are very flexible when customizing any keywork options you may want.
Overall a fantastic model bassoon. If you are considering purchasing one I'd highly recommend trying and comparing different Fox models and wood types to find the perfect fit for yourself.
- Was this a gift?:
The wood was very pleasant to the touch of the hand and tongue. It was very hard and sensual and had a nice, not quite ebony, but dark complexion. This is just how I like my wood.
- Was this a gift?: