- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
G&L SB-1 Electric Bass Guitar
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- J04449 000001000 J04449000001000
6-Month* financing available.
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
When Leo Fender launched the G&L SB-1 bass in 1982, he packed his latest innovations in pickup and bridge design into a straightforward, hard-wor...Click To Read More About This Product
A bass from the legendary and brilliant mind of Leo Fender with huge, growling sound and classic looks.
When Leo Fender launched the G&L SB-1 bass in 1982, he packed his latest innovations in pickup and bridge design into a straightforward, hard-working bass. At that time the SB-1 had an MFD single coil pickup and no pickguard, which was a departure from the classic single-pickup passive bass. By 1985, however, the SB-1 had taken the form it has today, with an MFD split-coil humbucking pickup and pickguard. In some way, the SB-1 set the stage for several G&L models to come: Leo took a a classic design and applied his core improvements, in this case, the MFD pickup and Saddle Lock bridge.
Like its sister model, the the SB-2, this bass starts with a familiar shape, though subtle modifications to its sculpting make it more sleek and balanced. Strap it on and it immediately feels at home, yet somehow more comfortable than you expected. The 1 5/8" nut-width, C-shaped neck falls immediately to hand, checking in with a modern 12" radius and its 21 Plek-processed medium-jumbo nickel frets ready to deliver silky playability.
Once the SB-1 has nestled into your comfort zone, it's time to experience just how far Leo evolved the time honored simplicity of a single split-coil pickup. You see, the Magnetic Field Design interpretation of the split-coil was created by Leo to give you more gusto without losing detail and finesse. What's more, the SB-1 features an innovative Leo Fender-designed Saddle-Lock bridge to transfer string energy right into the body end-grain for an incredibly resonant instrument.
The bottom line: SB-1 brings the magic of Leo's own reinterpretation of a classic design, delivering all the tone and feel you'd expect in a "Latter Day Leo" instrument.
Made in Leo Fender's historic G&L facility on Fender Avenue in Fullerton, California, the SB-1 is available with a wide range of custom options including body and neck woods, body and neck finishes, neck profiles and pickguard materials.
- CONSTRUCTION: bolt-on
- SCALE: 34"
- PICKUPS: Leo Fender -designed G&L MFD split-coil
- BODY WOOD: Alder on Standard and all solid finishes, Swamp Ash on all Premier finishes
- NECK WOOD: Hard-Rock Maple with choice of Maple or Rosewood fingerboard
- NECK PROFILE: G&L #12 with 12" radius and 1-5/8 " nut-width
- FRETS: Medium Jumbo; processed by PLEK
- TUNING KEYS: Custom G&L "Ultra-Lite" with aluminum tapered string posts
- BRIDGE: Leo Fender-designed G&L Saddle-Lock with chrome-plated brass saddles
- ELECTRONICS: volume, tone
- CASE: Deluxe Hardshell Tolex Case
Pick one up today!
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.