- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Fender Eric Johnson Virginia Stratocaster Maple Fingerboard Electric Guitar
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- L72254 000001000 L72254000001000
6-Month* financing available.
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
A replica of “Virginia,” a rare, modified, sassafras-bodied 1954 Fender Stratocaster (named after a label found inside the pickup routes) that powere...Click To Read More About This Product
A replica of the Fender Strat that set Eric Johnson's career in motion.
A replica of “Virginia,” a rare, modified, sassafras-bodied 1954 Fender Stratocaster (named after a label found inside the pickup routes) that powered one of Eric Johnson’s career-defining moments, the limited-edition Eric Johnson 1954 “Virginia” Stratocaster has all the features that made the original his cherished onstage companion. The rift/quartersawn sassafras body, custom switching and special setup are all here to inspire players and elevate theior playing, just like they did for Johnson.
The one-piece maple neck has a comfortable “Soft V”-shaped profile, along with a 12”-radius fingerboard and 21 medium jumbo frets that perfectly accommodate Johnson’s legato playing style. Carefully selected to enhance the inherently “round” sound of the sassafrass body, the pickup complement includes a DiMarzio HS2 stacked humbucking pickup matched to Fender ’57/62 single-coil Strat pickups in the middle and neck positions.
The resulting fat, violin-type tone with tons of liquid sustain is one of Johnson’s hallmarks—a perfect match for his flowing, melodic style. The custom wiring includes a tightly calibrated volume pot—per the tonemeister’s own specifications—while the middle and neck pickups are out of phase with the bridge pickup, giving players Johnson’s unique “koto” tone in position two.
Set up to Johnson’s precise specifications, the guitar’s nut is specially cut to leave more playing room for the high E string, which uses a single GraphTech String Saver saddle instead of the standard one. Other features include a custom “EJ” neck plate, wing string tree with nylon spacer and as a special touch—a piece of masking tape inside with the final assembly date and assembler’s name written on it, as was the tradition in 1954. Includes G&G tweed hardshell case and Certificate of Authenticity.
Renowned for his discerning ears, peerless chops and as a tone savant who’s educated and inspired countless guitarists, Eric Johnson broke into the larger public eye in 1988. That year he appeared on “Austin City Limits,” delivering an electrifying performance that ultimately catapulted “Cliffs of Dover” to No. 5 on the Billboard Hot 100. “Virginia,” a rare, modified, sassafras-bodied 1954 Stratocaster (named after a label found inside the pickup routes) powered this career-defining moment.
Johnson also wielded it during the recording of the groundbreaking Tones and Ah Via Musicom albums that made him a star beyond guitarist circles.
- Two-piece, offset-seam sassafrass body
- "Soft V"-shaped maple neck; 12"-radius fingerboard with 21 medium jumbo frets
- DiMarzio HS2 bridge pickup; Fender ’57/62 single-coil Strat middle and neck pickups
- Custom wiring and artist-specific setup
- Includes G&G tweed hardshell case and Certificate of Authenticity
Get the guitar that set Eric Johnson's career in motion. Order today.
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.