Why Shop With Us?
Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.Learn More
2-Year Free Warranty on Guitars
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.Contact Us for Details
We're Here for You
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.Contact Us
MON - FRI 5 AM - 8 PM PT
SAT 6 AM - 6 PM PT
SUN 6 AM - 5 PM PT
Moog Grandmother Dark Semi-Modular Analog Synthesizertrue true
Musician's Friend Rewards
This oversized item has special shipping requirements
- Free Shipping
- Top Seller
- Flexible Financing
- Lowest Price
Gold Coverage Protection
Protect your gear
Gold Coverage Protection
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
A sleek, all-black finish on this semi-modular analog synth.
Harkening back to the early years of analog synthesizers, Moog's Grandmother Dark has the characteristic style of a vintage synthesizer from the past. But this all-analog semi-modular instrument is ready for the future. With a design focused on pure synthesis, you'll appreciate the immediacy of getting on and designing sounds. There are no presets and no recall. What you see is what you get, leading to a lifetime of creative sound exploration. Grandmother Dark's sound engine, modulation engine and onboard spring reverb tank are 100% analog. There are no menus, and nothing to get in your way of creating your own unique sounds.
Grandmother Dark’s semi-modular design means you can start playing immediately without the need to manually patch and route any signals. Should you want dive deeper into creating more complex sounds, Grandmother Dark features 41 individual patch points that will override the internal wiring. The expansion possibilities that are only limited by your imagination. Even if you’re only familiar with the basic building blocks of an analog synthesizer, the Grandmother Dark welcomes an experimental approach that can turn into incredibly inspiring sounds. In addition, the 21 inputs, 16 outputs and a parallel-wired 4-jack mult can be used to expand the Grandmother Dark into a larger Eurorack ecosystem. It's also the perfect patch point to integrate with Moog Mother-32 or DFAM semi-modular synthesizers.
All analog, start to finish
Grandmother Dark has the essential tools you need to get started, with some added extras. There are two analog oscillators built-into Grandmother Dark, each with selectable triangle, sawtooth, square and pulse waveforms, and a hard sync button capable of creating complex timbres. The analog LFO is capable of reaching audio rates, acting as a third oscillator that can develop into some really aggressive tones. Also onboard is a classic Moog Ladder filter with a range of 10Hz–20kHz, a patchable 1-pole high-pass filter, and an analog ADSR envelope generator ready to sculpt your sound.
The team at Moog thought of everything here. Knowing that most sound designers would use a spring reverb effect on a synth of this nature, they’ve gone ahead and added an onboard analog spring reverb tank capable of processing internal and external sounds. It’s a welcomed addition, with the ability to add some darker tones or tame any intense frequencies. Grandmother Dark also features a built-in arpeggiator and an onboard sequencer that can store up to 3 sequences with up to 256 notes each. Add this to your Eurorack ecosystem, and you’ll have full control over all of your modules.
Classic feel, current mood
Even though Grandmother Dark is retro in design, it features some modern-era additions that take this synth from a thing of the past into an instrument for the future. As for connectivity, the Grandmother Dark has everything needed for today’s production environment including a 5-pin MIDI In/Out/Thru as well as MIDI over USB for instant integration with your host computer. There’s also both a 1/4” main output and a 1/4” external audio input that’s capable of taking in signals from guitars, drum machines and more. Grandmother Dark can route these audio sources through its signal chain, imparting classic Moog character at every step along the way, including its spring reverb tank, and spit them back out again. Grandmother Dark's 32-note Fatar keybed makes this a premium standalone synth. It will also work perfectly as the front end to an existing modular system. No matter how you decide to use it, Grandmother Dark will give you a lifetime of sound exploration.
- 100% analog synthesizer with 32-note Fatar keybed with velocity
- Hardware Spring Reverb can be used to process external sounds
- 1/4” External audio input for guitars, drum machines, and more.
- Semi-modular design requires no patching
- Easy to use Arpeggiator and Sequencer
- Store up to 3 sequences with up to 256 notes each
- 2 Analog Oscillators with selectable waveshape and hard sync
- Classic 4-Pole 10Hz-20kHz Ladder filter
- Patchable 1-Pole High Pass filter
- Analog ADSR Envelope Generator
- Analog LFO with audio-rate capabilities
- All normalized connections can be interrupted for full modularity
- DIN MIDI In/Out/Thru and USB MIDI
- Patchable bipolar attenuator
- Works with Mother-32, DFAM, Eurorack modular systems and more
- 41 patch points with 21 inputs, 16 outputs and a Parallel-Wired 4-jack Mult
- Weight: 18 lb.
- Dimensions (WxDxH): 23" x 14-1/4" x 5-1/2"
- Includes Power Adapter 12V, 2A -100 to 240 Volts AC, 50/60Hz
A sleek, all-black edition of this analog synth. Order your Grandmother Dark today.
- Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
- Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.