- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
AEA Microphones R84 Bidirectional Big Ribbon Studio Microphone
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- J52651 000000000 J52651000000000
6-Month* financing available.
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
The R84 was designed to be flexible and practical in a myriad of recording settings. It delivers exceptional headroom while maintaining an intimate p...Click To Read More About This Product
Versatile ribbon microphone with gentler proximity effect.
The R84 was designed to be flexible and practical in a myriad of recording settings. It delivers exceptional headroom while maintaining an intimate performance quality with smooth highs and extended lows. These aspects, combined with the reduced proximity effect, make the R84 incredibly well suited for both close-up and ambient mic applications. It’s just as versatile as an R44, flattering voice, strings, brass and drums alike.
The AEA R84 uses a 2.35 in. by 0.185 in. by 2-micron pure aluminum low-tension (16.5 Hz) ribbon element, just like the classic R44. Many ribbon mic manufacturers choose shorter ribbons that are easier to install, but AEA’s Large Ribbon GeometryTM design offers important advantages. Ribbon microphones operate linearly above their resonant frequency, unlike condenser or moving coil transducers, so the resonant frequency of a good microphone design should be as low as possible. The longer the ribbon, the lower the resonant frequency will be. The ribbon has to move twice as far for every drop in octave as it vibrates within the magnetic gap, thus, a longer ribbon will allow for further movement back and forth. This results in the ribbon handling louder sound sources and more sound pressure level.
In 1976, when General Electric bought RCA and closed down its microphone division AEA began servicing RCA’s legendary ribbon mics. Twenty-two years later, AEA reissued the iconic 44 ribbon mic and has continued to make ribbon microphones in the RCA tradition to this day. From the R84 Workshorse, R92 Up-Close Passive, Stereo R88, and Supercardioid KU4 – there is a AEA Legacy microphone for every application and setting.
- Same Big RibbonTM, tuning, and transformer as the R44 series.
- Classic look, but with milder proximity effect than the R44
- Intimate performance quality with smooth highs and extended lows
- Easy to use and more affordable
- Versatile for close-up and ambient mic applications
- 100% handcrafted in Pasadena, CA
An astonishing technical achievement, and a welcome contributor to any studio.
- Operating Principle: Pressure gradient transducer Directional Pattern: Bidirectional
- Frequency Range: <20 Hz to >20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 165 + dB SPL (1% third harmonic > 1 kHz)
- Sensitivity: 2.5 mV/Pa (-52 dBv/Pa) into unloaded circuit
- Output Impedance: 270 Ω nominal
- Recommended Load Impedance: 1.2K Ω or greater
- Phantom Power: Not required or recommended
- Polarity: Pin 2 high for positive pressure on front of microphone.
- Polar Response: Native bidirectional, figure-of-8 pattern
- Horizontal: Up to 90 dB rejection at right angles to the front/back axis.
- Vertical: Level changes with angle of incidence, frequency response is consistent.
- Transducer Element Material: Pure aluminum corrugated ribbon
- Thickness: 1.8 μm
- Width: 0.185 in
- Length: 2.35 in
- Microphone Dimensions Height: 11.6 in
- Width: 3.9 in
- Depth: 2.5 in
- Weight with cable: 3 lb
- Connector: XLR-3M
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.