Why Shop With Us?
Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.Learn More
2-Year Free Warranty on Guitars
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.Contact Us for Details
We're Here for You
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.Contact Us
MON - FRI 5 AM - 9 PM PT
SAT - SUN 6 AM - 7 PM PT
AEA Microphones R84 Bidirectional Big Ribbon Studio Microphonetrue true
Musician's Friend Rewards
This oversized item has special shipping requirements
- Free Shipping
- Flexible Financing
- Lowest Price
Gold Coverage Protection
Protect your gear
Gold Coverage Protection
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
Versatile ribbon microphone with gentler proximity effect.
The AEA R84 uses a 2.35" by 0.185" by 2-micron pure aluminum low-tension (16.5Hz) ribbon element, just like the classic R44. Many ribbon mic manufacturers choose shorter ribbons that are easier to install, but AEA’s Large Ribbon Geometry design offers important advantages. Ribbon microphones operate linearly above their resonant frequency, unlike condenser or moving coil transducers, so the resonant frequency of a good microphone design should be as low as possible. The longer the ribbon, the lower the resonant frequency will be. The ribbon has to move twice as far for every drop in octave as it vibrates within the magnetic gap, thus, a longer ribbon will allow for further movement back and forth. This results in the ribbon handling louder sound sources and more sound pressure level.
In 1976, when General Electric bought RCA and closed down its microphone division, AEA began servicing RCA’s legendary ribbon mics. Twenty-two years later, AEA reissued the iconic 44 ribbon mic and has continued to make ribbon microphones in the RCA tradition to this day. From the R84 Workshorse, R92 Up-Close Passive, Stereo R88 and Supercardioid KU4—there is a AEA Legacy microphone for every application and setting.
- Same Big Ribbon, tuning and transformer as the R44 series
- Classic look, but with milder proximity effect than the R44
- Intimate performance quality with smooth highs and extended lows
- Easy to use and more affordable
- Versatile for close-up and ambient mic applications
- 100% handcrafted in Pasadena, CA
An astonishing technical achievement, and a welcome contributor to any studio.
R84 Bidirectional Big Ribbon Studio Microphone Specifications:
- Operating Principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional Pattern: Bidirectional
- Frequency Range: <20Hz to >20kHz
- Maximum SPL: 165 + dB SPL (1% third harmonic > 1kHz)
- Sensitivity: 2.5 mV/Pa (-52 dBv/Pa) into unloaded circuit
- Output Impedance: 270 ohm nominal
- Recommended Load Impedance: 1.2 kohm or greater
- Phantom Power: Not required or recommended
- Polarity: Pin 2 high for positive pressure on front of microphone.
- Polar Response: Native bidirectional, figure-of-8 pattern
- Horizontal: Up to 90dB rejection at right angles to the front/back axis.
- Vertical: Level changes with angle of incidence, frequency response is consistent.
- Transducer Element Material: Pure aluminum corrugated ribbon
- Thickness: 1.8 μm
- Width: 0.185"
- Length: 2.35"Microphone Dimensions Height: 11.6"
- Width: 3.9"
- Depth: 2.5"
- Weight with cable: 3 lb.
- Connector: XLR-3M
- Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
- Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.