- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
AEA Microphones R88 MK2 Dual Ribbon Stereo Studio Microphone
- Write a Review
- J52634 000000000 J52634000000000
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
The R88 mk2 stereo microphone is a true Blumlein recording system optimized for recording instruments and ensembles in stereo. It utilizes two matche...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
A true Blumlein recording system
The R88 mk2 stereo microphone is a true Blumlein recording system optimized for recording instruments and ensembles in stereo. It utilizes two matched Big RibbonTM elements angled at 90 degrees and mounted in close proximity to each other along the vertical axis of the microphone. Using the pure aluminum low-tension ribbon elements, the R88 mk2 faithfully records complex tones without the headroom limitations of active electronics. The R88mk2 pickup is precise, yet flattering to instruments and voice.
Many ribbon mic manufacturers choose shorter ribbons that are easier to install, but AEA’s Large Ribbon GeometryTM design offers important advantages. You will achieve an open sound that is smooth, natural and free from any of the uncomfortable resonances that shorter ribbons and condensers can exhibit. For the recording engineer who regularly records in stereo, we believe the R88 mk2 provides sonic excellence as well as a conve- nient alternative to multiple-mic arrangements.
At the heart of the AEA R88 mk2 are two, 2.35 by 0.185 in. by 2 micron pure aluminum low-tension ribbon elements. Both pure aluminum ribbon transducers are tuned to 16.5 Hz, just like the R44. It’s integral weighted shock mount uses a standard 5/8” mic thread and includes a locking angle adapter for flexible positioning. The R88 mk2 operates with very low distortion over a huge dynamic and frequency range with an SPL capability of 165dB SPL and greater. Only black technical-fabric and stainless steel separate the rib- bons from the music. Even when used up close, the R88 mk2 delivers exceptional clarity and warmth, while also taking EQ extremely well without ever being harsh.
The result is a sound that many engineers say is astonishingly close to what their ears hear when they are actually standing in the studio. The R88 mk2 is a handcrafted US-made microphone built to last a lifetime.
- Blumlein (XY) and Mid-Side stereo ribbon
- Pure RibbonTM design with open and natural sound
- Used in many Grammy Award winning projects
- Great foundation for main or sectional pickup
- Featuring the same Big RibbonTM technology as the AEA R44 and R84 microphones.
- 100% handcrafted in Pasadena, CA.
Extraordinary ribbon with Blumlein response. Order one soon.
- Operating Principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional Pattern: Bidirectional
- Frequency Range: <20 Hz to >20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 165+ dB SPL (1% third harmonic > 1 kHz)
- Sensitivity: 2.5 mV/Pa (-52 dBV) into unloaded circuit
- Output Impedance: 270 Ω broadband
- Recommended Load Impedance: 1.2k Ω or greater
- Polarity: Pin 2 and 4 high for positive pressure at the front of the microphone
- Polar Response: Native bidirectional, figure-of-8 pattern
- Horizontal: Up to 90 dB rejection at right angles to the front/back axis.
- Vertical: Level changes with angle of incidence, but frequency
- Transducer Element Material: Pure aluminum corrugated ribbon 1.8 μm
- Width: 0.185 in (4.7 mm)
- Microphone Dimensions: Height:
- Width: 2.35 in (59.7 mm)
- Weight: 5lb 3oz (2.36 kg)
- Connector: XLR-5M, includes breakout cable to 2x XLR-3M
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.