- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Avantone Pro Passive MixCube (Pair)
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- #J00696 000001000 J00696000001000
6-Month* financing available.
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
The Avantone MixCubes are shielded, full-range mini reference monitors. Their design is inspired by the legacy of the 5C Sound Cubes used in virtuall...Click To Read More About This Product
Low profile passive studio monitors.
The Avantone MixCubes are shielded, full-range mini reference monitors. Their design is inspired by the legacy of the 5C Sound Cubes used in virtually all-major studios for the last 25 years.
To build a full-range, rugged, mini-reference monitor to replace the older, aging, 5C Sound Cubes that are still in use worldwide, while offering an improved, more linear frequency response. A full year was spent studying all versions & revisions of the famous little 5C Sound Cubes. Research revealed that there were several driver versions released over the years with widely varying frequency response characteristics. Avantone chose the smoothest, most linear, full-range version of those 5C models to use as their testing benchmark. Next, they analyzed their response characteristics in an anechoic chamber and proceeded to implement design upgrades. Realizing the importance of replacing a respected "industry-standard reference monitor", they began by replicating its basic size, function, and sonic character. And then they took it up a notch.
The original 5C Sound Cubes were made of ½" particleboard covered with a glue-on woodgrain contact paper. They chose to use thicker, denser MDF board because of its high rigidity and inherent low-resonance characteristics. Starting with a 165mm (6 1/2") sealed cube design with radiused edges, they chose an elegant polyurethane high-gloss "RETRO-CREAM" finish. The originals had either screws, or on later models, plastic binding posts, mounted on a recessed plastic cup. These have been upgraded to high-end nickel-plated, machined solid metal binding posts (dual banana spacing) mounted on a black anodized, milled and silk-screened aluminum terminal plate. Next Avontone added a 7mm thick neoprene pad embedded into the base of the cabinet to serve as a skid-resistant acoustic isolator. Additionally, for creative mounting situations, Avontone recessed an industry standard 5/8"-27 mic stand mount into the base.
While the originals were a basic 5" stamped frame design, Avontone designed a new, proprietary 5.25" die-cast aluminum frame driver/cone assembly to enhance performance. The mounting bezel is then polished for an elegant appearance. The paper cone, chosen for its musical character, is custom designed & crafted using the finest New Zealand pulp with mica fibers added for lighter weight and rigidity. The cloth surround is made in Japan to exacting uniform thickness tolerances. The top plate and T-Yoke of the driver are made of Sumitomo 1008 low carbon steel to enable the highest modeled flux density in the gap. The magnets are Y- 40 GRADE (MIL-SPEC) yielding a 43oz. high power-low distortion motor structure.
Studios primarily use 2-way & 3-way larger monitors designed to represent a wide range reference viewpoint at higher listening levels. However, in this newly developing age of High Definition Audio, there is still a need to also hear what your mix will sound like when played back over small "bass-challenged" systems such as televisions, clock radios, computers, car stereos, iPod docking stations, etc. It is important to make mixing judgments based partially on listening to reference monitors that will not impart tonal anomalies caused by crossovers or inferior full range drivers. Particular attention is always paid to the critical mid-range vocal/guitar/keyboard areas. This is where having a full-range monitor without a crossover is truly revealing. Ten months of R&D comparative listening and tweaking went into the voicing of the Avantone MixCubes. The result is a very smooth sounding, full-range upgrade from the original 5C Sound Cubes. Listening tests reveal that the MixCubes have a smooth, more open, transparent top end response with extended bass while maintaining their basic original character.
Amplification & Wiring
Recommended power rating is 50-200 watts of solid state power or 10-100 watts of tube power. It is advisable to use a high-quality studio-grade power amplifier. The metal binding posts on the rear of the speaker can accept bare wire, spade lugs, or single or dual banana plugs. It is best to use 12 -16 AWG wire for runs longer than 6 feet.
When positioning the Avantone MixCubes on stands or console bridges, it is best to keep them at ear level and slightly angled in towards the engineer. Since they are shielded, it is ok to place them near a CRT video monitor or TV without causing any problems. The bottom mic stand mounts will also allow you creative positioning options in unusual studio playback situations.
- Size: Near-field
- System type: Passive
- Configuration: Single driver
- Low-frequency driver: Not applicable
- Mid-frequency driver: Not applicable
- High-frequency driver: Not applicable
- Full-range driver: 5.25"
- Driver type: Cone
- Frequency response: 90Hz - 17kHz
- Max peak SPL: 93dB
- Aplifier class: Not applicable
- Output power: Not applicable
- Input connectors: Dual banana plugs
- Standby mode: Not applicable
- Acoustic space control: Not applicable
- Power indicator: Not applicable
- Width: 6.5" (165mm)
- Height: 6.5" (165mm)
- Depth: 6.5" (165mm)
- Weight: 6.11 lb.
- Enclosure type: Sealed
Order today and outfit your monitor station to incorporate bass-challenged playback reference.
- System type: Dynamic Shielded Full-Range Pair
- Frequency response: 90Hz - 17,000Hz (useful musical range)
- Impedance: Nominal 8 ohms
- SPL / Sensitivity: 93dB @ 1w/1m
- Recommended power: From 10-200W
- Driver: 5.25" cast aluminum frame
- Cabinet: sealed / 18mm MDF / Dacron acoustical stuffing
- Inputs: 3-way CE-rated plastic encased metal binding posts (accepts up to 12-gauge wire, spade lugs, dual banana plugs)
- Weight: 6lb., 11oz. (per speaker)
- Dimensions: 165mm x 165mm x 165mm (6-1/2" x 6-1/2" x 6-1/2")
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.