Why Shop With Us?
Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.Learn More
2-Year Free Warranty on Guitars
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.Contact Us for Details
We're Here for You
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.Contact Us
MON - FRI 5 AM - 8 PM PT
SAT 6 AM - 6 PM PT
SUN 6 AM - 5 PM PT
Chandler Limited Germanium Preamp/DItrue true
Musician's Friend Rewards
This oversized item has special shipping requirements
- Free Shipping
- Top Rated
- Top Seller
- Flexible Financing
Gold Coverage Protection
Protect your gear
Gold Coverage Protection
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
Warm, Organic, and Chandler's Most Vintage Sounding Pre Amp Yet.
These incredibly smooth-sounding transistors were the basis of the earliest transistor designs by Neve, EMI, Telefunken, and Fairchild. Those familiar with these units can attest to the special sound of the germanium transistor. The Germanium series runs on +40 volt power, high current, and has a huge +34 output before clipping. The sound is warm and smooth, as with many vintage style circuits, but you'll find a whole new world of smooth audio here as well as a sound that settles in perfectly to your tracks without fighting. Add these new circuits to Chandler's new transformer line that combines the best parts of Chandler's favorite trannies, St Ives and Gardners, into new great-sounding input and output transformers.
This is your standard input gain control. It is a 10-position Elma switch with 3dB step increments. The full range of the unit is -5dB, with the pad, to +65dB, without the pad and Germanium Drive and Feeback at full. The actual amount of overall gain, however, is affected by feedback control. When the gain is at 0 and the feedback is at 0, the overall gain is +10dB. Increasing the feedback to 10 changes the overall gain to +40dB, with all the tonal changes described under the feedback control. Using different combinations of feedback and input gain is essential if you want to take advantage of all the tones available from the Germanium pre-amp.
The Feedback control is essential to the sound and function of this pre-amp. Audio amplifiers incorporate some amount of negative feedback, which is where the output signal of the amplifier is fed back to its input. This affects the sound and function of the amplifier in many ways. THD, frequency response, gain, and amplifier stabilization change considerably with varying feedback. In use, you will find these results: When feedback is at 0 the unit will produce more high frequency information, less THD, less gain, and generally a more pristine, clear tone. Pushing the feedback higher will add THD, gain, a small bass rise, and a small high-end roll-off.
A 15dB Pad switch. Do not be afraid to use the pad on the unit as you will not find the adverse effects associated with many pads. The Pad is also very helpful with discovering all the tonal variations that the Germanium is capable of producing. Use the Pad when you are driving the Germanium very hard to keep the output levels in a usable range. Another important use for the Pad is to drop the gain to a line level while sending tape/disk tracks or line sources into the transformer-balanced rear input.
The Thick switch adds a gentle low end rise to the signal. It sounds simple but all of Chandler's beta testers commented about this being their favorite part of the unit. One said, "Why don't you just wire it in permanently?" and, "It's great for making large, meaty guitars."
An LED meter that functions in two ranges. The ranges are from -12 to +3 and +5 to +20dB. You can select the range with the pushbutton to the left of the meter.
This is an unbalanced input for guitar, bass, samples, etc. Simply throw the toggle switch and you're off.
48 volt switches phantom power.
Reverses the polarity of the pre-amp's output.
Special note about Thick switch
In some cases, when extremely high gain and feedback are used with transformerless microphones, you may get oscillation from the Germanium pre-amp. This is a very rare occasion, but Chandler thought it was worth mentioning. This was not compensated for in the final design for two reasons. First, any correction of this changed the sound of the pre-amp. Second, it happens in very rare instances when a combination of Gain, Feedback, Thick, and a transformerless mic are used, and all oscillation can be removed when the Pad is engaged.
Requires PSU-1 power supply (#187896) (sold separately).
The PSU-1 can power two Chandler Limited units. External power supplies ensure noise-free sound and lengthen component life since noise and heat shielding need not be built into the design of the preamp.
Power Supply not included (sold separately).
- Gain/Germainium Drive: Standard input gain control, a 10-position Elma switch with 3dB step increments. The full range of the unit is -5dB, with the pad, to +65dB, without the pad and Germanium Drive and Feeback at full.
- Feedback control: When feedback is at 0 the unit will produce more high frequency information, less THD, less gain, and generally a more pristine, clear tone. Pushing the feedback higher will add THD, gain, a small bass rise, and a small high-end roll-off
- A 15dB Pad switch for when you are driving the Germanium very hard to keep the output levels in a usable range, or to drop the gain to a line level while sending tape/disk tracks or line sources into the transformer-balanced rear input
- Thick switch: adds a gentle low end rise to the signal
- An LED VU meter that functions in two ranges: from -12 to +3 and +5 to +20dB, selectable with the pushbutton to the left of the meter
- DI/Unbalanced In: unbalanced input for guitar, bass, samples, etc
- 48-volt switching phantom power
- Phase: reverses the polarity of the pre-amp's output
- Power Supply not included (sold separately)
- Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
- Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.