Why Shop With Us?
Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.Learn More
2-Year Free Warranty on Guitars
We're Here for You
MON - FRI 5 AM - 8 PM PT
SAT - SUN 6 AM - 7 PM PT
Neumann TLM 170 R Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone Nickeltrue true
Musician's Friend Rewards
This oversized item has special shipping requirements
Neumann TLM 170 R Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone Nickel
Frequently bought together
- Free Shipping
- Flexible Financing
- Lowest Price
- Ships Internationally
Gold Coverage Protection
Protect your gear
Gold Coverage Protection
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
Five selectable polar patterns with extremely low self-noise and impressive dynamic range.
The microphone is addressed from the front, marked with the Neumann logo. The large diaphragm capsule inside the headgrille has a very smooth frequency response for all polar patterns over a wide acceptance angle. The curves are flat and parallel to the 0 frequency curve up to 10kHz within an angle of ± 100. As a result, the TLM 170 R has a very even diffuse-field response for all polar patterns. This is important in a reverberant environment, as more reflections arrive at the microphone from different directions. The acoustic information is not affected in its tonal quality when recorded by the microphone. This characteristic is achieved without resorting to corrective resonance effects. Therefore, the microphone maintains an excellent impulse response reproducing all transient phenomena of music and speech without any coloration. The capsule is elastically mounted to avoid any structure borne noise that could interfere with its operation.
In addition to the usual directional polar patterns: omnidirectional, cardioid, and figure-8, Neumann has added a hypercardioid and wide-angle cardioid characteristic. When compared to the standard cardioid pattern, the hypercardioid characteristic suppresses sound from the side more efficiently. The wide-angle polar pattern is especially useful to record large sound sources.
The letters TLM stand for "transformerless microphone". With TLM technology the usual output transformer is replaced by an electronic circuit. As with traditional transformers, it ensures good common mode rejection, and prevents RF interference, that may influence the balanced audio signal.
Use on tripods
The TLM 170 R is provided with a tilting side bracket to attach the microphone to booms or stands. The bracket is equipped with rubber elements that effectively protect the microphone from mechanical shock. If necessary, it can be mounted on the other side of the microphone as well.
Filter and attenuation
The TLM 170 R microphone has a 10dB attenuation switch to prevent the input of the following unit from being overloaded. A second switch at the rear allows attenuation of the frequencies below 100Hz to suppress undesired structure-borne noise.
All exposed surfaces of the capsule, including the diaphragms, are at ground potential. This technology makes them highly immune to electrical and atmospheric interference and contamination through dust particles.
- Acoustical operating principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional pattern: Omnidirectional, wide angle cardioid, cardioid, hypercardioid, figure-8
- Frequency range: 20Hz-20kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kilohm: 8 mV/Pa
- Rated impedance: 50 ohms
- Rated load impedance: 1 kohms
- Equivalent noise level, CCIR1): 26 dB
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted1): 14 dB-A
- Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR1) (rel. 94 dB SPL): 68 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted1)(rel. 94 dB SPL): 80 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%2): 144 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5% with preattenuation2): 154 dB
- Maximum output voltage: 10 dBu
- Supply voltage (P48, IEC 61938): 48V ± 4V
- Current consumption (P48, IEC 61938): 3 mA
- Matching connector: XLR3F
- Weight: 625 g
- Diameter: 60 mm
- Length: 152 mm
Neumann is a name you can trust for great fidelity. Order today!
- Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.